News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 16, 2024, 04:19:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: As Close to an AMC as it Gets......  (Read 41015 times)

Offline shaggimo

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 90
  • When "6" just won't do.......
Re: As Close to an AMC as it Gets......
« Reply #60 on: October 20, 2011, 05:09:22 PM »
So I checked with something better than Mitchell, lol, I alwways forget that I have a Factory Service Manual for Oldsmobile  :footinmouth: , lol. I looked through various diagrams of different models and such, none with resistors, I still think it's a good idea though, better safe than sorry right? cheap insurance policy lol
88 xj cherokee- ((4)(4))2
81 malibu 4dr- Identity Crisis
81 SX4- gf's
84 Eagle 4dr sedan- it followed me home... ::)
http://www.cardomain.com/id/Oldsmoletic
CNY

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #61 on: October 20, 2011, 05:17:10 PM »
My msd has run at the flick of a 12v supply for years.

Manitowoc WI

Offline shaggimo

• Thumbs Up 90
« Reply #62 on: October 24, 2011, 11:47:38 AM »
So.........As of friday night, the 4 months of work on this rig has shown its first sign of success. I took the jeep out for a little test drive, and I do mean little, lol, only had a gallon of gas in it so I didn't stray to far from home, haha. I went down the street about a 1/4 mile of so, it shifted through the gears fairly nice, a bit early in my mind, I'll make adjustments to fix that. My ride continued around the corner, off the main road, over to where few could see me  ;D. Then I proceeded with what I like to call the "Throttle Response Test", lined it up straight on the road, let it idle down for a few seconds, let off the brake pedal, and smash the gas to the floor. I'll say this, it passed.......with spinning tires,  :rotfl: , as soon as it started to dog walk, I let off, needless to say I was more than impressed, I was planning for it to fall on its face with a huge bog, definitly not the case, lol. Maybe by next weekend I can get a little vid clip of this creature running and driving  :rotfl:.
81 SX4- gf's
CNY

Offline GRONK

• The carburetor dude
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 55
    • GRONK Performance
« Reply #63 on: October 24, 2011, 11:54:44 AM »
VERY NICE!!!

If there's hood clearance, I might also recommend spacing the carb up an inch or two.  I have spacers if you want to try.  Your thread has been very exciting to follow brother.....
"Bucket" 1983 Limited Wagon
"Tootie" 1984 Wagon
Owner - GRONK Performance

Offline shaggimo

• Thumbs Up 90
« Reply #64 on: October 27, 2011, 03:51:26 PM »
VERY NICE!!!

If there's hood clearance, I might also recommend spacing the carb up an inch or two.  I have spacers if you want to try.  Your thread has been very exciting to follow brother.....

lol, Thanks Gronk! Unfortunately hood clearance is an issue, lol, I do have the adapter in there which offers an inch, but I'm maxed out unless I cut the hood  :-\ .  I did come up with a couple solutions to combat minor details that kept me from driving this thing for more than a few minutes though. In my true form, more homemade parts, lol. Finished off the tps bracket and made up my linkage to tie it to the carb, turned out fairly decent, works great so that's all that really matters. That took quite a bit of messing around just to get the throw right to keep the sensor in its operating range.

Next up, as mentioned, I had some serious lack of hood clearance on this, I had to come up with a solution to get filtered air to the carb (without cutting a hole in the hood), and hope it's not too restrictive. So what started out as flat pieces of sheet metal, now looks as follows, lol.

I know it's rather goofy looking, but it clears the hood, and offers about a 4 inch diameter opening at the filter. It doesn't lose any size entering the carb, even though it looks choked off, basically if one were to flatten the 4" pipe, it ends up being the same size as the carb inlet. Should be enough flow for the little 6 banger, lol. It's now painted up and ready for install tonight, then maybe slap some bumpers on, plug the drain holes in the floor and it should be ready to hit the streets, on a semi regular basis.
81 SX4- gf's
CNY

Offline eagleman

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #65 on: October 27, 2011, 04:40:25 PM »
I don't think it looks goofy at all! As a matter of fact I think its pretty cool and shows some serious thinking on your part!
Turkeys walk.Eagles fly!!!

Offline shaggimo

• Thumbs Up 90
« Reply #66 on: October 27, 2011, 04:57:57 PM »
lol, Thanks!
81 SX4- gf's
CNY

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #67 on: October 28, 2011, 12:44:02 PM »
I'm also impressed with your home fabricated air cleaner.  I especially like how you made a smooth transition from round pipe to rectangular hole.  I've tried to do that sort of thing in the past and ended up with a beat up piece of metal full of all manner of kinks and bends.

Offline GRONK

• The carburetor dude
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 55
    • GRONK Performance
« Reply #68 on: October 28, 2011, 12:58:52 PM »
Why are you running a TPS?  Maybe I missd it.  Are you not running a vac advance to the distributor?  Maybe I'm missing something else (usually the case)  This is very intresting to me as I have a few ideas of my own if you are controling an electronicly controled distributor with the TPS
"Tootie" 1984 Wagon

Offline shaggimo

• Thumbs Up 90
« Reply #69 on: October 28, 2011, 01:23:33 PM »
Thanks priya! My first attempt with making the extention piece ended up just that, a beat up piece of metal, lol, then I changed my method a bit. I originally tried to make the rectangular end on an existing round pipe, not so sucessful. So I made the rectangle first, by clamping only about 4 inches worth of flat in my vise. Just bending that small area cause the remainder to curl itself to an almost round shape, then it was just a manner of minor tapping and forming the final shape.

Gronk: The reason for the tps is only for the transmission (AW4), from what I understand, the tps sends a signal to the tcm which is the deciding factor on when to shift. Basically it does the job of the vacuum modulator like what the old gm thm350's had. The distributor is just a regular HEI unit with vacuum advance like you'd find on a 78 nova I6 for instance.
81 SX4- gf's
CNY

Offline GRONK

• The carburetor dude
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 55
    • GRONK Performance
« Reply #70 on: October 28, 2011, 01:27:23 PM »
Makes perfect sense.  Thanks for clering that up.  great job!
"Tootie" 1984 Wagon

Offline shaggimo

• Thumbs Up 90
« Reply #71 on: November 10, 2011, 12:01:57 PM »
Little update, my goofy pipe air cleaner was a bust, it didn't work  :banghead: . It was far too restrictive, and too close to the airhorn, it caused terrible idle (had to set idle at 1000rpm), and off idle problems (stumble), not to mention I couldn't open the secondaries with out it falling on its face. So my solution, even though I said I wouldn't do it, I had to  make the hood "higher" to fit an open element cleaner, hahaha.

Starting with a flat piece of sheetmetal

With the help of a few strategically placed cuts, a couple 2 x 4's, C-clamps, vise grips, hammer, welder, and grinder, that flat piece turns into this....

Little skim coat of body filler to hide a couple dimples left by the hammer (I need a sheetmetal brake,  ::)).

All primered up.

Painted up, and ready for install.

Then, enter jeep  :covereyes: , I hated to do it, and it was nerve racking, but it had to be done, I took a cut off wheel to the hood, lol.

My area marked, and the surrounding areas protected from sparks.

No turning back now,  >:D hahaha

Yup it fits, lol, and yes I'll be running a taller filter maybe and inch taller or so.

Finally, the jeep with its newest addition.

As seen above, the bulge is fastened to the hood via rivits (can't really call it a "scoop" cause it doesn't scoop, hahaha).

Yes it's even more goofy than my pipe blunder, but, this antic actually had a positive result! lol. Without making a single change to the carb, idle quality improved, throttle response returned, and secondaries opened with out almost stalling the engine. So now I'm in process of re-tuning the carb after I had goofed around with it to get it to run with the tube, I have it close, but I know there's more to gain (I have re-time as well). At least I can smash the gas from a dead stop and not bog out, lol, now it's a matter of getting the secondaries dialed.
81 SX4- gf's
CNY

Offline GRONK

• The carburetor dude
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 55
    • GRONK Performance
« Reply #72 on: November 10, 2011, 12:38:17 PM »
Very nice.  Looks like you can run a thicker filter and even add a feeder (return) line up under that cover from a cooler part of the engine bay.  A simple 12V line fan and a little tubing will circulate that thing very well.
"Tootie" 1984 Wagon

Offline shaggimo

• Thumbs Up 90
« Reply #73 on: November 10, 2011, 01:13:24 PM »
 :occasion14: Thanks!! I like that idea, that gives me something to think about, more projects, lol.
81 SX4- gf's
CNY

rohnk

« Reply #74 on: November 10, 2011, 01:16:55 PM »
Very nice! I like the way you incorporated everything. Maybe you can add a spacer or two to the carb as GRONK had suggested earlier. Then you wouldn't need a taller air cleaner and you might get a little more HP.

Well done!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk