News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 15, 2024, 11:08:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: As Close to an AMC as it Gets......  (Read 41000 times)

Offline shaggimo

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 90
  • When "6" just won't do.......
Re: As Close to an AMC as it Gets......
« Reply #75 on: November 10, 2011, 03:51:28 PM »
Thanks! True, I could do that, lol, another thing to think about.
88 xj cherokee- ((4)(4))2
81 malibu 4dr- Identity Crisis
81 SX4- gf's
84 Eagle 4dr sedan- it followed me home... ::)
http://www.cardomain.com/id/Oldsmoletic
CNY

Offline amc78concord

• If you don't like the way I drive, stay off the sidewalk.
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 81
  • Second Place is the First Loser!
« Reply #76 on: November 14, 2011, 11:36:54 AM »
Looks pretty sweet to me...  I've got hood scoops on my XJ.  But they're fake, and don't provide extra air into the intake as no holes are cut into my hood... But you could actually do that with yours!  But that would allow more dirt, dust, and debris to get into places where it shouldn't be...

But looks sweet non-the-less.

:occasion14:
-Rob
Nekoosa, WI
-82 Eagle Limited Wagon (4.0 Head Swap, Holley 4bbl Carb, Headers, MSD Ignition with Team Rush Upgrade)
-82 Eagle SX/4
-83 Eagle Limited Wagon "Woody"
-84 Eagle Wagon
-85 Eagle Wagon
-Many Others... :amc:

:duck:

Click for Nekoosa, Wisconsin Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline shaggimo

• Thumbs Up 90
« Reply #77 on: November 14, 2011, 01:05:55 PM »
Thanks!  :occasion14: Yeah dirt and water are the reasons I decided to leave it sealed up, lol. I like GRONKs idea with the fresh air tube though, I've been sorta thinking on how to do that, maybe in the winter or spring when I get a chance.
81 SX4- gf's
CNY

Offline shaggimo

• Thumbs Up 90
« Reply #78 on: November 28, 2011, 03:49:18 PM »
Time for a little update, Jeep's been running great this past month, so I figured it was about time to put the booger up in the air. I used most of the old junk off my other one, but eliminated my lift blocks finally, lol. Up front I used 4 1/2 BDS coils, my old modified stock upper and lower control arms, WJ track bar set up with a modified xj mount, and ZJ pitman arm. Out back, I used the BDS 3 1/2 spring packs, slightly trimmed shackles from a chevy k1500 (late 80's-late 90's style), made some new "bolt in" bar pin eliminators (as opposed to my last two cheros that were welded in, lol), and re used my comanche shocks. Along with the prior trimming, clears the 33's rather nicely, the 34's should complete the look, lol.

Now I just have to decide what to do about the CAD (whether I cable it, hose clamp it, or just put the axleshafts from my 97 in), add a couple recovery points, and it's ready to wheel. Then we'll really see how well that goofy carb works, hahaha. Speaking of wheeling  ;D .............It's getting to be that time of year, my annual Snow Run!! It's still mild out but, as any cny'er will tell you, you can and will have all four seasons in one day here, lol, so that being said, I will keeping close tabs on the weather, and maybe start a separate thread for updates, this year I have an informant in one of the possible areas  8) .
81 SX4- gf's
CNY

Offline GRONK

• The carburetor dude
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 55
    • GRONK Performance
« Reply #79 on: November 28, 2011, 03:56:48 PM »
Very nice brother.....
"Bucket" 1983 Limited Wagon
"Tootie" 1984 Wagon
Owner - GRONK Performance

Offline shaggimo

• Thumbs Up 90
« Reply #80 on: November 28, 2011, 04:28:58 PM »
Thanks GRONK!
81 SX4- gf's
CNY

rohnk

« Reply #81 on: November 28, 2011, 10:24:42 PM »
Nice. It is screaming for some wheel well flares though. Maybe a nice set from BushWhacker?!

Awesome job brother. I'll bring my SX4 your way to be next in line!

Offline shaggimo

• Thumbs Up 90
« Reply #82 on: November 29, 2011, 10:58:30 AM »
 :rotfl: lol thanks Rohn, I like to be flareless, kinda like the SX/4 (even though the sx isn't mine, it was my influence to ditch the flares  ;D).  It would save the paint a bit, but, also let the nasty stuff in (salt belt), so it's a kinda lose-lose situation, lol, at least without the flares I can watch it rust, hahaha (maybe catch it before it's too late).

Maybe when I have my own place to do this kind of work I can offer help to others, currently I work in "borrowed" space, lol, hmmm someday.
81 SX4- gf's
CNY

Offline amc78concord

• If you don't like the way I drive, stay off the sidewalk.
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 81
  • Second Place is the First Loser!
« Reply #83 on: November 29, 2011, 07:01:47 PM »
That is B.A.

...  :notworthy:
-Rob
Nekoosa, WI
-82 Eagle Limited Wagon (4.0 Head Swap, Holley 4bbl Carb, Headers, MSD Ignition with Team Rush Upgrade)
-82 Eagle SX/4
-83 Eagle Limited Wagon "Woody"
-84 Eagle Wagon
-85 Eagle Wagon
-Many Others... :amc:

:duck:

Click for Nekoosa, Wisconsin Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline shaggimo

• Thumbs Up 90
« Reply #84 on: November 30, 2011, 02:08:59 PM »
lol, thanks robert!
81 SX4- gf's
CNY

Offline 83Eagle!

• Thumbs Up 180
« Reply #85 on: December 11, 2011, 02:41:47 AM »
Very nice work on that Cherokee.  I am impressed.
Click for La_Vista, Ne Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they
are genuine."

- Abraham Lincoln

1983 Eagle Wagon
2003 Saturn LW200
2007 Saturn Ion
1985 Mallard Class C motor home

After our fiasco with the Toyota Corolla I got for my wife I believe I am done with Japanese vehicles.

Dude you are preaching to a choir member that is close to becoming an AMC Minister if you know what I mean.

Offline shaggimo

• Thumbs Up 90
« Reply #86 on: December 12, 2011, 01:13:14 PM »
Thanks Brandon!  :occasion14:
81 SX4- gf's
CNY

Offline shaggimo

• Thumbs Up 90
« Reply #87 on: January 03, 2012, 01:36:35 PM »
Being that the Q-Jetted 4.0 has done very well on road, it was about time to see how it acted offroad. New Years day a friend of mine always hosts a trail ride on his property, this run was the cherokee's maiden trip off the beaten path. Line up as pictured below, Toyota rock buggy, 2 chryco cherokees, my 88, an 86 commanche, a chevy tracker (don't laugh, it kicks ***, lol),  a YJ wrangler, and the property owners Toyota 4 runner.

No it's not an optical illusion, the rock buggy is really that much bigger than a cherokee on 33's, lol).

Little view of the chero on 34's

The cherokee performed exceptionally well offroad, even with all the off canter scenarios, steep climbs and descends. I was more than impressed, as were my passengers, two of my friends that had a less than stellar opinion of the quadrajet, haha. The q-jet barely skipped a beat, the only time it copped an attitude is when I had the jeep almost standing on the back bumper, only then did it stall, but only cause I let it idle down (I didn't want to go over backwards, lol). My friend with the commanche was the only other vehicle out there with a carb on it (running a 318 and ax15), though I believe he's running a holley, and it was giving him a bit of grief on the climbs. He and I were also the only ones running our daily drivers, so we were supposed to keep each other from doing anything dumb and breaking or damaging our rigs, lol......He broke a trackbar on of the climbs.

Since this is a thread about other AMC vehicles, here's a couple shots of the 86 Manche.

Down through the twisties, and steep hills lead us to the final obstacle, all the rigs that go always do very well up until the last hill climb, three rigs managed to reach the top without the aid of a winch. The Rock buggy (obviously, lol), the toyota 4 runner, and the 88 :D .

All in all,  the carbureted 4.0 is a great success, both on and offroad. There is no lack of power on the trail, no hesitation, and no bog, smash the gas to the floor and try not to over rev, hahaha.

Oh one more thing, I can't end this response without some actual proof, so here's a video of the jeep tackling the final hill. My Girlfriend starts the run, gets out after spinning sideways in the middle of the trail (scary to say the least), leaves me to figure out how to get the thing back down the hill with out going inverted, then it's a throttle fest to the top, hahaha. So here's close to 10 minutes worth of 4.0 torture....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCeBYdV3_wg&feature=youtu.be

***No body damage occurred from this trail run***
81 SX4- gf's
CNY

Offline shaggimo

• Thumbs Up 90
« Reply #88 on: January 03, 2012, 02:54:55 PM »
Thanks GRONK!
81 SX4- gf's
CNY

Offline txjeeptx

• shop rag
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 68
  • You've been Outlaw'd
« Reply #89 on: January 04, 2012, 09:43:35 AM »
That's some serious clay yer wheelin in. Need lockers.
'82 Eagle SX/4 "Golden Eagle", '89 YJ 2.5L '93 MPI-converted rock-crawler, '79 Jeep Cherokee Golden Eagle "FSJ", 'o7 F150 Supercrew FX/4 daily driver

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk