News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 26, 2024, 09:42:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Whuntmore's Eagle Project - Flicker (Picture heavy!)  (Read 135085 times)

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • If a hammer won't fix it, it's probably electrical
Re: Whuntmore's Eagle Project - Flicker (Picture heavy!)
« Reply #270 on: May 11, 2012, 12:22:15 AM »
So today I worked on the tank again, and started putting everything together.

As I was replacing hoses under the tank, I noticed that the Roll-over valve was rotten to the point where you could see into the valve.  it was really rotten.  it was leaking there.  

I had to bypass this unit (just run straight hose) and I replaced all the other hoses.  They are all new from the tank, to the carb.  

I cleaned up the sending unit, made sure all the connections were good, and it's all back together.  I drove it home, and it ran great.  No more leaks.

here's a pic of the rotting roll over valve:

« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 01:14:01 AM by Whuntmore »

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
« Reply #271 on: May 12, 2012, 06:21:10 PM »
Mine is pretty bad also. Not sure what other options there are, other than getting one from a parts car.
1982 AMC Eagle SX/4 (Work In Progress)

Photobucket Album: http://s1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff479/Baskinator/

rohnk

« Reply #272 on: May 12, 2012, 10:03:26 PM »
The ones for the Delorean's fit. You can buy them from DMC out of Texas for 9.99. The shipping is high though.

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
« Reply #273 on: May 12, 2012, 11:04:08 PM »
Thanks for the tip Rohn, I might have to order one of those... eventually (when I have money :P).
1982 AMC Eagle SX/4 (Work In Progress)

Photobucket Album: http://s1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff479/Baskinator/

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
« Reply #274 on: July 03, 2012, 10:37:01 PM »
So I've been pulling the back inside trim to see if I can some 6x9 speakers hidden behind the panels. 

I'm gonna have to mount them on a 45 degree tilt, and then make a frame to hide them (around here, I don't want to advertise I have good speakers in my car) behind some kind of frame with acoustic transparent material.

Yah, right... we'll see if I can get this together...

but other then that, I had to break down and get a new battery.  I actually got a model 56.  Man, they are a bit on the skinny side, huh?

The old battery was croaking even during warm days of summer.

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
« Reply #275 on: July 08, 2012, 12:56:08 AM »
Well, I got the 6x9 speakers in the spot I wanted...  Now before you say why don't I just mount it to the outside, I don't want my eagle broken into, so I'm hiding the speakers behind the interior trim, and cover it with something that doesn't look like there's speakers behind it.

I got the only thing I could find to pad the panel - I got some underlay for carpet, and then I glued it in to pad the area.

then, I made a cardboard cutout (several tries...) and cut the MDF in the same shape (That too a few tries to hone it)

then I lined up the plastic boarder for the speaker and marked out where I wanted the hole:

Now, since I was mounting the speaker behind the MDF (to get it to sit behind the plastic trim) I cut it out, and mounted the speaker, and then slid it into the hole, just to make sure.

Then I made a copy of this template, marked the main hole, the screw holes and the like:

Now I have two exact copies, and I can mount the speakers to them,

then I cut a length of speaker wire (crimped the ends on, clipped them to the speakers) and then I got the speakers,  jiggled them into their spots, and screwed them down.

Next, I have to cut out a section of the plastic interior trim, and put some kind of cover on it.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 01:01:35 AM by Whuntmore »

Prafeston

« Reply #276 on: July 08, 2012, 10:38:58 AM »
Great work man!

68AMXGOPAC

« Reply #277 on: July 08, 2012, 11:10:15 AM »
L00KS great !! Like the idea and location, out of the way, and should give you some good sound.

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
« Reply #278 on: July 29, 2012, 11:37:23 PM »
thanks, it's been a real struggle trying to get speakers that are too big into areas that are too small.

The front doors are taking even longer.  ONe - Because of helping another member with his FC-170, Two - Finding the time, and Three - Figuring out what to do to get them in.

Anyways, I think I'm close to getting the door speakers in.  I had to use thinner material called Hardboard, and make adaptors outta that.

I also had to make the door panel speaker hole bigger,

Also, because of their placement (and I can't get them behind the door panel more) I'll have to make my own grille covers because the window winder is right there, so they gotta be really thin.

Not a very good place for door speakers...

So I used more of the hard board, cut a square 7"x7", and then cut a square hole 6.5" x 6.5" (so the boarder is only .5") and used a glue gun and got some black material that was sound transparent, and got it all on.

Next, I'm gonna attach it to the door panel when I get either little bolts and nuts, or... some decent looking way to attach them without it looking stupid, and be strong.

Offline mick

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 46
« Reply #279 on: August 05, 2012, 02:39:19 PM »
Man you've done a lot of work!
ALMOST A Jeep THING...EVEN I DON'T UNDERSTAND

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
« Reply #280 on: August 05, 2012, 11:01:51 PM »
Thanks Mick,

I went today to get grilles on the back trim panels (and get the driver's side door speaker in the door) and stupid me forgot to bring my hardware, and my hardboard (for back grilles) and pretty much anything I needed to finish off the project.

So, I'm heading to Keith's tomorrow (and Make sure I pack all the stuff I need) and see if I can finish the job.

I'll take more photos.

Offline max98059

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #281 on: August 06, 2012, 12:30:12 PM »
whats the resistance for the resistor

Mount to something metal because it will get hot!  

http://www.bowtiebits.com/store/store_product_detail.cfm?Product_ID=3955&Category_ID=2&Sub_Category_ID=29

Product info:

1947-55 Ignition Resistor 12V
Part Number: AD-475-IR
12 volt ballast resistor is used when your 12 volt coil does not have one built in.

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
« Reply #282 on: August 06, 2012, 10:50:31 PM »
finished with the front doors:

And  I also Finally got the back speaker grilles in.  I cut a hole out

cut two pieces of hardboard that are exactly the same size and shape

lined everything up and drilled the holes to match

hot glue gun the cloth on

and then bolted them to the panel

That was a lot of work and I'm beat.  I don't know how many hours/weekends I spent doing that, but now I have tunes thumping in the car.  wicked.

Tomorrow, I take pics of the grilles in place.   I still have to finish putting all the trim screws back, and some other pieces back on, and then finally clean up the car.

PHEW!!

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
« Reply #283 on: October 26, 2012, 05:04:22 PM »
I put new rotors and front pads on, and STILL I have issues with the front.  At this point, everything is new except lines.

Keith and I now figure that the issue is the flex hoses.  (Duhhhh!  there's nothing left to replace!)

Everything else is new (less then a year old), well, except the power brake diaphragm.

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
« Reply #284 on: May 14, 2013, 01:13:05 AM »
I have a small update:

One of the nest members here in Calgary was fixing up an '82 limited, and he had bought lots of new parts, and some reconditioned for the car.

I guess he started that was 2-3 years ago, and after some major changes in his life, he's parting out the car: (nest post here: http://forums.amceaglenest.com/index.ph ... #msg328859 )

I just bought his new rear leafs, front coils, upper and lower control arms cleaned up and painted with POR-15, with new bushings, new moog strut bushings, new upper and lower ball joints, rebuilt steering box, spring seat bushings, aluminum coil spacers, new shock perches, a whole bag of headlight adjusters, and two SS hose clamps that have the 'EAGLE' font engraved in them.

Tomorrow I'll get a pic of the parts and post it

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk