News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 29, 2024, 02:43:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Whuntmore's Eagle Project - Flicker (Picture heavy!)  (Read 135192 times)

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • If a hammer won't fix it, it's probably electrical
Re: Whuntmore's Eagle Project - Flicker (Picture heavy!)
« Reply #225 on: December 29, 2011, 12:02:02 AM »
You might also want to check your rear brakes.  Drums can be quite touchy if they aren't clean and adjusted properly.  The adjusted rust up real easy and stick especially when your e-brakes aren't used often.

everything is also new for the back brakes. the drums were machined, all the parts were painted with hi-heat paint, and any moving part has anti-seize to it.  Even the wheel cylinders are new.

So rusting, seizing, or any of that ain't gonna happen.  the e-brake cable gets used here and there, and we cleaned it, and packed it with real graphite.  That ain't gonna seize either.

other then proportioning valve, the back brakes might not have been adjusted properly.  I'm really not exactly sure how to properly adjust them.

Offline EAGLER

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 18
« Reply #226 on: December 29, 2011, 12:04:03 PM »
stuck or bad rear wheel cylenders can cause that effect too.take the drums off so you can have a look on it
because nobody grows up knowing all

Offline milliard431

• Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 25
    • Robs1980eagle
« Reply #227 on: December 29, 2011, 08:39:33 PM »
In that picture of the master it almost looks like the rear line is flattened out at the bend. I'm guessing you checked the whole back line for and bends or restrictions. If you bled them then they are not blockes off but could be restricted.

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
« Reply #228 on: December 29, 2011, 11:26:43 PM »
In that picture of the master it almost looks like the rear line is flattened out at the bend. I'm guessing you checked the whole back line for and bends or restrictions. If you bled them then they are not blockes off but could be restricted.

in that picture it does look like they're bent, but it's not.  that's shadows making it look like that.  I haven't checked the whole back lines, but I can tomorrow.  

If the line in the back is restricted, wouldn't that cause them to not respond as well?  Instead of responding too much?  

@PeterM  yup, that's what we did - Got it till it's just grabbing, and then back it off till it spins freely.  So if that's how to properly adjust the back brakes, then it's been done.

I think it's the proportioning valve has either got crap in it (from the rubber rotting in everything else) or it's got problems.  Anyone have a good picture of what the valve looks like?  

I'm probably gonna replace it, and see if that's it.  If that ain't it, then I'm gonna try the rubber hoses next.

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
« Reply #229 on: December 29, 2011, 11:29:39 PM »
stuck or bad rear wheel cylenders can cause that effect too.take the drums off so you can have a look on it

The rear wheel cylinders are new.  So unless I got crappy ones, they shouldn't be the problem, but I can check them.

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
« Reply #230 on: December 30, 2011, 09:33:10 PM »
Ok, so with looking at the diagrams on Eaglepedia, there is a proportioning valve.   It's on the other side, and I've located it on the car.

I'm gonna check tomorrow to see if I can still get one, and I'm gonna change it out.  See if that don't fix it.  If not that, then I'll probably swap the rubber hoses - Actually, I might get them just in case.

68AMXGOPAC

« Reply #231 on: January 01, 2012, 12:54:00 PM »
I wonder of you could swap the lines at the proportioning vavle?? Maybe they got switched around by a PO ?? or something ?Might be an easy test first.I think those proportioning valves are hard to come by, maybe...

unless the PO changed the lines and fittings, there's no way to accidently switch the lines - Just what rollguy said.

We've tried bleeding the entire system, and that didn't work. 

I haven't gone in yet, been too busy with New Year's stuff, but probably this week.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 04:53:30 PM by Whuntmore »

Offline rollguy

• Turbo Diesel Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 84
  • Southern California
« Reply #232 on: January 01, 2012, 04:07:00 PM »
I wonder of you could swap the lines at the proportioning vavle?? Maybe they got switched around by a PO ?? or something ?Might be an easy test first.I think those proportioning valves are hard to come by, maybe...
I don't think that would be possible, as the lines will only go on one way.  I had a proportioning valve stick on my cadillac, and just bleeding the entire system and driving it turned out the light and fixed the problem.
1980 Eagle Turbodiesel Wagon (only 2 known to exist as of 2008)- 7-7-2011 Flight to it's new nest @ Rambler Ranch
1983 Eagle Wagon  Tan over Copper
1982 Eagle SX4 "ALTREGL"  (avatar photo)
1982 Eagle 4 Door Sedan  Copper over Satin Black
1985 Eagle Sport Wagon October 2007 ROTM (SOLD)
4 Biofuel powered Benzs ('98 E300, '82 300 CD, '82 300 TD (wagon), '80 240 D)
1983 GMC Van (6.2 Diesel)
1985 Mitsubishi pickup (2.3 Turbodiesel)

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
« Reply #233 on: January 01, 2012, 04:54:22 PM »

unless the PO changed the lines and fittings, there's no way to accidently switch the lines - Just what rollguy said.

I haven't gone in yet, been too busy with New Year's stuff, but probably this week.

Offline mechanic80

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 7
  • 87 Limited Wagon
Touchy rear brakes
« Reply #234 on: January 19, 2012, 10:53:11 AM »
Just a thought.  Is it possible the primary and secondary shoe positions are reversed? :amc:
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean everyone's  NOT out to get you! :amc:

Prafeston

« Reply #235 on: January 19, 2012, 12:05:51 PM »
Great thread. Fun to follow what others are doing. Keep up the good work. I egged you! :)

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
Re: Touchy rear brakes
« Reply #236 on: January 19, 2012, 02:29:13 PM »
Just a thought.  Is it possible the primary and secondary shoe positions are reversed? :amc:

you talking about the back brakes?  They wouldn't fit the other way... So I'm assuming we got 'em on the right way... plus we followed the shoe placement when we took 'em off (Ok, I think we did - the guy that helped me did most of the work).

But...  It's not impossible we screwed up, I'll have to double check.

Thanks, Prafeston I appreciate that.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 02:46:45 PM by Whuntmore »

Offline EAGLER

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 18
« Reply #237 on: January 19, 2012, 04:36:31 PM »
as i remember there is a shorter and a larger brake shoe maybe they are in the wrong position

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
« Reply #238 on: January 20, 2012, 10:29:37 AM »
yes, but which one faces the front, and which one faces the back? 

Is anyone Absolutely sure?  It's hard to tell in some of the diagrams.

Offline EAGLER

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 18
« Reply #239 on: January 20, 2012, 11:59:53 AM »
the shorter goes forward and the larger goes backward.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk