News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 29, 2024, 02:37:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Whuntmore's Eagle Project - Flicker (Picture heavy!)  (Read 135191 times)

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • If a hammer won't fix it, it's probably electrical
Re: Whuntmore's Eagle Project - Flicker (Picture heavy!)
« Reply #255 on: February 29, 2012, 05:57:46 PM »
I wasn't aware of that, and thanks for the info, but I really prefer to buy locally.  I would prefer to support local business men.

I'm gonna get a new one, cover the thing in POR-15

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
« Reply #256 on: April 29, 2012, 10:18:09 PM »
Just a quick update:

I finally swapped out the Proportioning valve on my eagle.  That was a messy, dirty, PITA job.

I also bought a new gas tank for her.  I need to get that on soon. 

I'll have some pics for ya all probably tomorrow.

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
« Reply #257 on: May 03, 2012, 09:43:20 PM »
Still no pictures, but I bled all my brakes out.  I now have front and back brakes.  'bout time.

Next: the gas tank...

Offline hemlokk

• Eagle Ambassador
  • Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • Flying Without Wings
« Reply #258 on: May 07, 2012, 11:46:19 AM »
Hey guys.  Will be back in Calgary in July for a visit (1 month).  Hope to meet up and take a look at all your Eagles. Send me a PM if you have any meets coming up.  Cheers. I.R.
2008 Jeep Wrangler Sport - 3.8L, 6spd manual, hard top, green, 50,000km

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
« Reply #259 on: May 07, 2012, 05:12:49 PM »
I sent you a PM there Hemlokk.

I just painted one part of the new gas tank with POR-15, I gotta let it dry, then I'm gonna get the other side painted before it goes on the eagle.

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
« Reply #260 on: May 07, 2012, 05:40:40 PM »
That looks awesome!!! I hear POR-15 is supposed to be some pretty good stuff, as long as it's prepped thoroughly.
1982 AMC Eagle SX/4 (Work In Progress)

Photobucket Album: http://s1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff479/Baskinator/

Prafeston

« Reply #261 on: May 07, 2012, 05:59:17 PM »
The gas tank looks great!!!

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
« Reply #262 on: May 07, 2012, 06:17:08 PM »
thanks guys!

@ baskinator, I hear that as well - You gotta prep.  the tank was oily outta the box (some kind of protectant) but I cleaned off all the oil, and then I brushed on the POR.  

So now, I finally got some pictures of the brake valves:

Here's the old one I took outta the eagle.  The plastic thing on the middle top is a two-prong connector.  It didn't match my female connector, so I swapped them out.

Here's the one I got at Pick n' Pull.  It looks totally different, but everything fits (and I got it off a '81 4-door eagle) except for that connector.  but all I did was, unscrew both, and swap them.

It's all hooked up and the brakes are bled.  NOW, all my brakes work, and the back doesn't lock up anymore.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 06:19:58 PM by Whuntmore »

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #263 on: May 08, 2012, 02:35:19 PM »
I can't believe you made that gas tank look like that by painting it with a brush.  When I first saw it I was certain it had been sprayed - prettiest gas tank I've ever seen.

Prafeston

« Reply #264 on: May 08, 2012, 02:43:37 PM »
I was thinking the same thing priya...maybe it's just the angle and lighting, but you can't see a single brush stroke in that thing!

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
« Reply #265 on: May 08, 2012, 02:53:04 PM »
yeah, that POR-15 is self-leveling.  It totally smoothes out after you brush it on.  I was surprised also.

It's not just the angle of the camera - I took it on that angle because you could see my reflection, and me holding the camera.  So I took another picture on that steep angle so I wouldn't show up in the tank reflection.

It's really that shiny.  If it wasn't for all the dust getting on it by drying out on my deck, it would be perfect.

Freaky, huh?

I should shoot a video of the tank dry, and post it just so you all could see how really shiny it is...   ;D
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 02:57:57 PM by Whuntmore »

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
« Reply #266 on: May 09, 2012, 01:45:43 AM »
So more updates...

I had an issue with the hanger breaking off the back of the muffler.

So I made a patch, and re-welded the hanger on it,

Then, I put a whole bunch of tacks to hold it on.  The welding is pretty spotty, as the car is basically on the ground, and I had to reach over the rear diff.  Also, I tried to clean the rust on the muffler as much as I could, but it was a very awkward spot - So I used sandpaper.

Anyways, it's ugly welding (I'm almost embarrassed to post the pic) but it holds really well.  That should keep me going till I can afford to redo the exhaust.  I'll just paint it for now.

rohnk

« Reply #267 on: May 09, 2012, 09:52:05 AM »
I use some stuff called Muffler Mend that you can get at just about any auto parts store. It comes in an aluminum can that looks like a paint can about 1.5" high and 4" round. It has the consistancy of thick ketchup or loose peanut butter.

Where a glove and spread it over the repair spot and smooth it out. It'll set overnight to like a concrete. Great for patching small holes, hard to reach spots or wierd angles. It would really dress up your welds by hiding them and provide a little insurance for any pin holes that might be lurking.

Anyway, just tought I'd throw that out there.

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
« Reply #268 on: May 09, 2012, 11:15:07 AM »
that's great to know, thanks.  I egg'd ya for that rohnk.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 01:06:48 PM by Whuntmore »

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
« Reply #269 on: May 10, 2012, 12:48:32 AM »
I bought new gas tank straps (since mine were pretty rotten) and found out that they don't come with the hanger bolts.  They are not easy to find, I wanna tell you all.

So, it took me most of my day, but I've found them - The hanger bolts..

After much looking, I figured/found out that cherokee hanger bolts are the same, but in two lengths.

The 1993 cherokee has the slightly shorter bolts (The new one in the picture below), and the '93 grand cherokee have longer bolts.  Probably very close to the proper length. 

I didn't buy the Grand Cherokee bolts because no parts places has them in calgary.  I would have had to drive to Red Deer (over 1.5 hours north) to get them.  Forget that, I'll make use of these.  But I will keep the old hangers and compare them someday.

The shorter cherokee hanger bolts are just barely long enough.  I also got Stainless Steel nylock nuts.  They are 3/8 standard thread.

I've also got new straps (easy to get) and I'm painting them with POR-15.  Actually, I'm painting EVERYTHING with por-15.  

Here's a pic of one painted, one not yet.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 12:30:21 PM by Whuntmore »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk