News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• July 01, 2024, 06:13:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Whuntmore's Eagle Project - Flicker (Picture heavy!)  (Read 135235 times)

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • If a hammer won't fix it, it's probably electrical
Re: Whuntmore's Eagle Project - Flicker (Picture heavy!)
« Reply #210 on: September 23, 2011, 08:06:31 PM »
@Rollguy, I'll do that and top it off with supreme.

@Brownbear, I'm gonna change out those stupid spark plugs first, get something normal, and I'll keep ya posted.

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #211 on: September 23, 2011, 09:08:39 PM »
I did the conversion as well with new tfi. dist. champion plugs and the 8mm wires.  I completely removed my egr valve and covered it with a plate.  I had my timing set at 10 degrees.  It starts and runs great no problems, but I have the pinging also around the 35 mph mark and when I hit the gas a little hard.  I was also told to replace the egr valve, which I haven't done yet.  whutmore let  me know if it fixes your problem.  I was thinking about going down to 9 degrees for the timing, thats what stock is?  I am going for my echeck tomorrow morning, and I really hope it passes, if not I have to wait till Jan. and then the car will be 25 yrs. old and it won't need an echeck....  The pinging has me concerned about passing the test.
I hope they don't do a visual test, the EGR is part of the emissions system.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline Gil-SX4

• International Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 77
  • December-2003
« Reply #212 on: September 24, 2011, 12:51:45 AM »
Most likely the pining is due to the lack of EGR, since one of its functions to keep the engine from knocking.
Rick Perry President of The Republic Of Texas,
Wants You.
Enlist in the Texas Arm Forces.

"I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands:
     one Nation under God, indivisible, With Liberty and Justice for all."

"Honor the Texas flag; I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas, one and indivisible."

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." --Thomas Jefferson

1983 AMC Eagle SX/4
1985 Chevrolet C-10 Silverado
1995 Ford Aspire
1978 Ford Bronco

Murphy's Law
"If there are two or more ways to do something, and one of those ways can result in a catastrophe, then someone will do it".

Offline ammachine390

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 42
« Reply #213 on: September 24, 2011, 03:00:49 AM »
Most likely the pining is due to the lack of EGR, since one of its functions to keep the engine from knocking.

Even if the EGR was hooked up correctly, it still wouldn't function when the engine is floored. Since it only pings when the accelerator is floored, I don't think thats the problem.

Unless, does it only ping right when you floor it and then go away? Or does it ping the whole time it's floored?
Dan
1981 AMC Concord DL 258 Auto

Click for Villa_Park, IL Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline brownbear

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
« Reply #214 on: September 24, 2011, 07:13:57 AM »
no visual test and the pinging does go away for me.  It will ping a little around 35 mph mark.  I will take it on the freeway today and listen to see if it's always pinging......

Offline brownbear

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
« Reply #215 on: September 24, 2011, 11:01:22 AM »
eagle failed the emissions test, my NO was twice the legal limit.  Does anyone know what that means and what I can do to repair that issue.?????????

Offline ammachine390

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 42
« Reply #216 on: September 24, 2011, 01:50:58 PM »
brownbear: So you are saying if you are just cruising down the road, not accelerating, at 35 mph, it still pings? That could definitely be because of lack of an EGR valve.

Also, your lack of EGR valve is probably what made you fail the NOx test too, as its sole purpose is to lower NOx levels. The only other thing that really controls NOx levels is the catalytic converter.
Dan
1981 AMC Concord DL 258 Auto

Click for Villa_Park, IL Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline brownbear

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
« Reply #217 on: September 24, 2011, 02:04:12 PM »
just when I'm accelerating to 35 then it stops.  I have a brand new cat on, I guess I can try the egr if everyone thinks it will help.  If I put one on does that  mean I have to readjust my timing and carb?

Offline brownbear

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
« Reply #218 on: September 24, 2011, 04:05:19 PM »
no one around me has an egr for sale, does anyone know of a place that will one sell cheap.  I can only find them for around 65$ and they need to be ordered, but I need to know for sure or close to it that it's the egr that made the eagle fail?

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
« Reply #219 on: September 24, 2011, 04:57:02 PM »
I'm just gonna swap out the plugs, and see how that goes from there.

well today I went to see a guy (Clayton) about doing my drivetrain.  His father owns the company I work for.  He does extreme off-roading and he builds parts.

http://stores.evojoints.com/

As far as doing up the drivetrain, I've been back and forth with what I want - Most of the reasons are what's available to me, but some reasons are cost.

Clayton suggested I get a 4.0 setup (engine, tranny, and TC) and then he'd do the rest.  Still could do a mid-stroker.  get a 4-speed tranny, and then a 231 TC case (they can CNC all the other parts to mate up)

Then Clayton starts talking about different kinds of 'Locker' rear ends, and that's where I think he lost me.  All I was looking for was a limited slip.

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
« Reply #220 on: December 28, 2011, 03:33:45 PM »
it's been awhile since I've updated this post, but recently I've put a brand new master cylinder on her, and brand new calipers in the front.

Brakes are still wayyy too touchy in the back.  I have no idea why.  If I'm really gentle, it's ok, if I press on the brake petal more firmly (I'm not talking about stomping on them for an E-stop) the back tires/brakes lock up but the front doesn't do much.

Offline milliard431

• Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 25
    • Robs1980eagle
« Reply #221 on: December 28, 2011, 07:29:00 PM »
Proportioning valve?

Offline Sunny

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 29
« Reply #222 on: December 28, 2011, 10:01:05 PM »
Proportioning valve?

That's exactly what my thoughts were.

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
« Reply #223 on: December 28, 2011, 10:21:37 PM »
So I keep getting told that the proportioning valve was in the master cylinder... 

if it's a separate part, then ya, that would explain it.

Offline carguy87

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 11
« Reply #224 on: December 28, 2011, 10:52:07 PM »
You might also want to check your rear brakes.  Drums can be quite touchy if they aren't clean and adjusted properly.  The adjusted rust up real easy and stick especially when your e-brakes aren't used often.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk