News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 26, 2024, 09:49:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Whuntmore's Eagle Project - Flicker (Picture heavy!)  (Read 135087 times)

Offline maximus7001

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 12
  • Winnipeg, Canada
Re: Whuntmore's Eagle Project - Flicker (Picture heavy!)
« Reply #285 on: May 15, 2013, 07:45:23 AM »
I put new rotors and front pads on, and STILL I have issues with the front.  At this point, everything is new except lines.

Keith and I now figure that the issue is the flex hoses.  (Duhhhh!  there's nothing left to replace!)

Everything else is new (less then a year old), well, except the power brake diaphragm.

Did you ever get this sorted out? Also how did the speakers look and sound after it was all back together?
1968 Javelin SST 290
1981 Concord DL sedan, vintage red metallic (now parts car)
1985 Eagle wagon, same colour as the concord (project car/daily driver)
1997 GMC Safari SLT AWD (full time 4x4) G-80 LSD

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • If a hammer won't fix it, it's probably electrical
« Reply #286 on: May 15, 2013, 11:53:56 PM »
speakers sound pretty good, but I'm just running the head unit, no amp yet. 

I've got the flex hoses, and I will be putting them on in the next week or so.  I will keep you posted on that.  but it's the only thing that I haven't replaced, so It's gotta be the problem.

Offline maximus7001

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 12
  • Winnipeg, Canada
« Reply #287 on: May 19, 2013, 08:58:26 AM »
So today I worked on the tank again, and started putting everything together.

As I was replacing hoses under the tank, I noticed that the Roll-over valve was rotten to the point where you could see into the valve.  it was really rotten.  it was leaking there.  

I had to bypass this unit (just run straight hose) and I replaced all the other hoses.  They are all new from the tank, to the carb.  

I cleaned up the sending unit, made sure all the connections were good, and it's all back together.  I drove it home, and it ran great.  No more leaks.

here's a pic of the rotting roll over valve:

On the DMC Texas site they refer to their replacement roll over valve as "Dodge 4002 012 270836575548 Jeep Dodge truck carbon canister valve". Here is a link:  http://store.delorean.com/p-6703-roll-over-valve.aspx
1968 Javelin SST 290
1981 Concord DL sedan, vintage red metallic (now parts car)
1985 Eagle wagon, same colour as the concord (project car/daily driver)
1997 GMC Safari SLT AWD (full time 4x4) G-80 LSD

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
« Reply #288 on: May 23, 2013, 01:56:59 AM »
I am aware of that part, but thank you for posting it (because you never know)

I bought a bunch of stuff off of Tony - Tony lives here in Calgary, and was fixing up his own eagle, when LIFE struck.  He's had a few setbacks, and had to sell off the new parts he's got, and scrap the eagle he's got in his garage.

I've bought off him:

a re-maned steering box,
new rear leafs, with new bushings,
New coil springs
spacers for the coils
new bushings for the coil seats,
4 new ball joints (upper and lower)
all control arms with all new bushings and has been cleaned up and painted with POR-15,
new shock seats, with new bushings,
two tail lights (in great shape)
a new center console (different color, but in better shape then mine)
5 outer door latches,
2-3 hatch hinges with rubbers,
a chilton manual,
new bushings for the front stablizer bars,

and some other stuff I can't remember right now.

Dean and I went to Sask., to raid Teamamc's yard full of AMC's and as usual, Dean took a whole van load of parts.

I got from that trip:
3 newer bumpers (one is for Pat, for his SX/4)
5 sets of door hinges (with no slop in them - All taken from passenger side doors)
some of those round rear quarter marker lights (on Spirits and SX/4's)
a rear sway bar complete,
another steering box (with no slop that I could tell)
sunroof glass, hinges, and rubbers (also for Pat)
a couple of fenders,
a section of rear quarter panel (to fix the rust holes on my rear quarter panel)
a whole bunch of those black short bumper ends (that are usually on Concords, and Spirits)

and some other goodies... 

Hopefully, all that stuff will be going on the Eagle this Summer.

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
« Reply #289 on: July 22, 2013, 07:17:39 PM »
First, I'm surprised by this site...

Well, some stuff has happened since my last post

My job is going really well, as a matter of fact, I got an apprenticeship as a boilermaker.  Lots of welding and fabbing of large pressure vessels.

The other big news is - My wife and I finally bought a house!  We finally found one in a really nice area, on a quiet street, and here's the kicker - It's got 2 garages!!!!!   

It has one single attached (for the subaru) and one double Detached garage.  I think the roof in the garage is actually tall enough to put in a hoist, but I won't know until I measure it.  regardless, It's a really nice place, and we take possession on the 23rd of this month.  Like in 4 days of this post.

I won't have to worry about doing work on my eagle in the parking lot of our apt ( ), I can strip it down and do all the work that's needed on her,  , and I won't have to ever worry about:

having to put it all back together for the night, just so I can lock it up, 
Or complaints about 'You can't work on your car in the parking lot,   
or having to run back in, because I didn't carry enough tools out to the car...   

You know, all those things you home (and garage owners) take for granted, that Us apt dwellers can't do.

I can't freaking wait...   

amcconcord

« Reply #290 on: July 22, 2013, 10:40:52 PM »
Well first and wecome to the grown up "Eagles Den"
Glad to here on the job and house.
One thing though to remember on the new house, with the house qwnership freedom comes "when things go knock in the night, you can't call the landlord anymore" that part is yours also now!! May I suggest one tiny thing, a insurance on the stuff in house like boiler, washer dryer, stove, any that can break, good insurance on everything can cost less then $50 bucks a month, well worth the price. I only suggest nothing else.
You do not have to use photobucket on our site, as you did with the nest, everything is done in SMF now!
Any questions ask, we will do our best to answer you, its our real first full day up, we have been online since begining of July but we, had to keep bringing it down for broken links  :lurk:sujects postings, lot of things, I have the full back up since early 2006, there were some major deletes done since then and we will be repairing and adding them to the sight as time permits after our thursday big role out, keeping fingers crossed, if you want to see the fixing stuff use url http://www.eaglenestamc.com, that our test sight as stuff gets added, it does not carry all of the new stuff we use it to repair then move to this site and severs, everything is double backed up, including in my home on my server here.
Again welcome enjoy, new house, may the job keep going strong, and youu finally get your Eagle up running on the road, post pictures of house your Eagle, test the site!
Thanks
Ken! :blob1: :occasion14:

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
« Reply #291 on: July 23, 2013, 12:03:45 PM »
You and I have chatted many times before.

Thanks for the info, and yes, I am preparing to be the 'repairman'   :rotfl:   I've actually taken a few courses on laying floors, general repairs, etc.

And...

I worked in maintenance at a university for 3 years

I've worked with some of my buddies in the trades:

Drywall board (helped do a few floors of a condo)
floor repairs (minor to medium repairs, leveling, re-enforcing, etc)
touched on wiring (but I have a buddy who does that)
landscaping (I used to work for a landscaping company)

and some other random stuff.

and yes, thanks for the tip on the insurance.  I will do that.

I am gonna shoot some video of the house, put it up on my You Tube channel, and then post a link. 
THEN, I'm gonna get to work on that eagle!

One thing I didn't post here is:

One older member (from the nest site) was rebuilding an eagle, then life happened, and he had to give up on the whole project.  Here's my copied post (so I don't have to re-type it - he he he):

One of the eagle's nest members here in Calgary was fixing up an '82 limited, and he had bought lots of new parts, and some reconditioned for the car.

I guess he started that was 2-3 years ago, and after some major changes in his life, he's parting out the car:

I just bought his new rear leafs, front coils, upper and lower control arms cleaned up and painted with POR-15, with new bushings, new moog strut bushings, new upper and lower ball joints, rebuilt steering box, spring seat bushings, aluminum coil spacers, new shock perches, a whole bag of headlight adjusters, and two SS hose clamps that have the 'EAGLE' font engraved in them.

Tomorrow I'll get a pic of the parts and post it

He still has a lot of interior parts, and other stuff.

==========================================================

I bought some more stuff off of Tony -

I've bought off him:

a rebuilt steering box,
two tail lights (in great shape)
a new center console (different color, but in better shape then mine)
5 outer door latches,
2-3 hatch hinges with rubbers,
a chilton manual,
strut bushings

and some other stuff I can't remember right now.

Dean and I went to Sask., over the long weekend to raid Teamamc's yard full of AMC's and as usual, Dean took a whole van load of parts.

I got from that trip:
3 newer bumpers (one is for Pat, for his SX/4)
5 sets of door hinges (with no slop in them - All taken from passenger side doors)
some of those round rear quarter marker lights (on Spirits and SX/4's)
a rear sway bar complete,
another steering box (with no slop that I could tell)
sunroof glass, hinges, and rubbers (also for Pat)
a couple of fenders,
a section of rear quarter panel (to fix the rust holes on my rear quarter panel)
a whole bunch of those black short bumper ends (that are usually on Concords, and Spirits)

and some other goodies...

Hopefully, all that stuff will be going on the Eagle this Summer.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 02:28:26 PM by Whuntmore »

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
« Reply #292 on: August 31, 2013, 10:39:12 PM »
Well, I got some time to work on the eagle.

I finally found a place that carries that pertronix coil (the 40511) and then tried to get it into the bracket. one of those annoying bolts was a torx, but it was stripped, so I had to go to PnP and get the coil bracket that was on an eagle still sitting at the yard.

had to grind off the old stipped one, and finally got it out. put in the new one, and it's finally good.

I also tried to re-set the timing, but it only seems to want to run smooth at around 14 degrees BTDC. anything less, and it sounds a bit rough. Calgary is at about 4200 ft above sea level, but I didn't think I had to set it that high.

Also tightened some loose bolts around the manifold, and there was 2-3 around the oil pan. She's still dripping a bit of oil, but I got it calmed down to almost nothing. I still swear it's coming from the filter. it's snug, but I still think I might have the wrong size.

I did check for any extra gaskets sticking.

This Friday, I broke down and bought myself a Miller-Matic 180 mig welder. I'll really need that when I start doing the body work.

Otherwise the house is getting settled, and items are getting easier to find 

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 477
« Reply #293 on: September 01, 2013, 07:16:42 PM »
pretty much good news.  I wonder why the timing is so far off??  Chain stretch?
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
« Reply #294 on: September 02, 2013, 08:33:07 PM »
I never thought of that... could be... the motor only has like over 230,000 kms (142,000 miles) so I'm not sure. 

I was told by Gronk that because of the 2150 carb, the ECM Test bypass, polution gear stripped off, and our elevation, it could be over 11 degrees. 

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 477
« Reply #295 on: September 02, 2013, 08:36:45 PM »
The mods could be the culprit.  My chain stretch was detected  at close to 90 - 95,000 miles.

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
« Reply #296 on: September 03, 2013, 05:56:17 PM »
yeah, I was warned about that.  but it does run better and it uses way less gas.  So I'm good with it, until I can get a 4.0 for her.

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 477
« Reply #297 on: September 06, 2013, 05:48:02 PM »
yeah, I was warned about that.  but it does run better and it uses way less gas.  So I'm good with it, until I can get a 4.0 for her.

I need to get with SpreadEagle to see if he still wants my XJ that I am selling for beer.  If not, would you be interested?

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
« Reply #298 on: September 07, 2013, 02:00:58 AM »
You are wayyyy too far for that.  Even if I had a trailer and a truck (or whatever) to transport it (parts whatever) that would take me days to get there.

Thanks anyways, I'll just find something locally.

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 477
« Reply #299 on: September 07, 2013, 09:11:53 AM »
I checked with SE, and he still wants it.  Just trying to arrange transportation for it.

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk