News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• September 28, 2024, 11:36:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Summer Job!  (Read 115760 times)

Offline Gil-SX4

• International Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 77
  • December-2003
Re: Summer Job!
« Reply #165 on: August 07, 2011, 01:10:30 AM »
Yup, back when IowaEagle and his groupies where young they used to used something call Gasket Shellac.
Rick Perry President of The Republic Of Texas,
Wants You.
Enlist in the Texas Arm Forces.

"I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands:
     one Nation under God, indivisible, With Liberty and Justice for all."

"Honor the Texas flag; I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas, one and indivisible."

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." --Thomas Jefferson

1983 AMC Eagle SX/4
1985 Chevrolet C-10 Silverado
1995 Ford Aspire
1978 Ford Bronco

Murphy's Law
"If there are two or more ways to do something, and one of those ways can result in a catastrophe, then someone will do it".

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
« Reply #166 on: August 07, 2011, 01:28:15 AM »
Yup, back when IowaEagle and his groupies where young they used to used something call Gasket Shellac.

I guess they didn't even make Eagles back then, huh? ;)

Just kidding, but I was actually looking at stuff like that. The glue stick was the cheaper, free option though, since my mom had like 50 of them laying around.
1982 AMC Eagle SX/4 (Work In Progress)

Photobucket Album: http://s1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff479/Baskinator/

68AMXGOPAC

« Reply #167 on: August 07, 2011, 09:37:53 AM »
Hmmm, I would think the glue stick wouldn't work , and be permeable to anti freeze. Did it work out ok ?? Curious.

I still have and use "Indian head" shellac for certain applications. My dad allways had it, and just recently I found it for sale in a small parts store.Oddly I now work on a private collection of Indians, and the owner swears buy it. I never knew there was a connection between the two.

Your makeing great progress man , wish I had an answer for the brake situation.It must be drawing air back in somehow,bummer.

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
« Reply #168 on: August 07, 2011, 10:39:27 PM »
I would love an old Indian motorcycle!

The glue was just used to hold the gasket to the housing while installing it, nothing else really. It held when I started the car the other night, but I haven't really run the car very long to test it. The one belt is squealing like crazy, so I'd like to replace that first.

I'm gonna try bleeding the brakes again tomorrow (if it doesn't rain hard) and maybe get it done this time. I can even have all four tires off at once now and do it faster since I have a speed jack and four huge stands ;D

I don't foresee getting the car inspected before going back to school, but possibly if I can come home for a weekend or two. It will need a lower spring seat replacement in the front because I noticed one is rusted through, which I'll get pictures of soon. Member Teamamc offered to sell and send me a lot of those components from some of his parts cars, but I have yet to hear back from him. When I take all those things off, I'm going to get them all nice and painted before replacing, so I don't have to do it again.

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
« Reply #169 on: August 08, 2011, 10:45:15 PM »
Here is the spring seat that's rusted through. It's all white and black looking because I sprayed it with Purple Power De-Ruster once or twice.

Finally got that other belt off today, I'll replace it tomorrow. Tried bleeding the brakes again and they were still doing the same thing...
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 11:46:51 PM by Baskinator »

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
« Reply #170 on: August 09, 2011, 08:29:59 PM »
68AMXGOPAC, I took your advice and bought those speed bleeders for the front of the car. They were surprisingly expensive for two little screws, but they got the job done. Now I just need to find or order a pair of 10mm ones for the back of the car, my Advance Auto doesn't carry them.

I also got to replace that last belt, so they're done.

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
« Reply #171 on: August 10, 2011, 12:00:02 AM »
Some priming to hold over the rusted door panel until it can be painted for real.

Offline shaggimo

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 90
  • When "6" just won't do.......
« Reply #172 on: August 10, 2011, 09:02:28 AM »
Just a tip, keep in mind primer absorbs anything that gets on it, whether it be grease, or moisture. You may want to rattle bomb a top coat on that if you plan on it being primer for an extended period of time. If not, it can cause many headaches later (I've made that error  :banghead:), lol.
88 xj cherokee- ((4)(4))2
81 malibu 4dr- Identity Crisis
81 SX4- gf's
84 Eagle 4dr sedan- it followed me home... ::)
http://www.cardomain.com/id/Oldsmoletic
CNY

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
« Reply #173 on: August 10, 2011, 10:08:16 AM »
Ah, did not know that...  Maybe I'll do that tonight.

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
« Reply #174 on: August 13, 2011, 10:48:19 PM »
I discovered this while removing my tail lights today. Pretty neat, now I know everything this car originally came with.

Can anyone decipher what color it is? It says "9B0T".

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
« Reply #175 on: August 14, 2011, 09:34:09 PM »
PHEW, just missed...

On the plus side, my new Wheel Horse Electro 12 Charger came in handy to pull the branches down!

The trees must really like our Eagles :P

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
« Reply #176 on: August 14, 2011, 11:38:14 PM »
Ok, that seems about right. I wasn't sure if it was white or almond, it was repainted i think with a lighter white, and the older paint you can see under some of the trim looks darker. Thanks for the info!

Offline maximus7001

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 12
  • Winnipeg, Canada
« Reply #177 on: August 15, 2011, 01:45:58 AM »
Just a tip, keep in mind primer absorbs anything that gets on it, whether it be grease, or moisture. You may want to rattle bomb a top coat on that if you plan on it being primer for an extended period of time. If not, it can cause many headaches later (I've made that error  :banghead:), lol.

X2 on this. I once destroyed a clean 1977 Ventura by leaving it in primer for too long.
1968 Javelin SST 290
1981 Concord DL sedan, vintage red metallic (now parts car)
1985 Eagle wagon, same colour as the concord (project car/daily driver)
1997 GMC Safari SLT AWD (full time 4x4) G-80 LSD

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
« Reply #178 on: August 15, 2011, 01:54:30 AM »
I sprayed on a topcoat the other day, but ran out of paint and there are some spots where the primer shows through a little. I just got a spray gun from Harbor Freight, so I'm gonna do a lot more painting tomorrow. It's been too rainy to do anything much these last couple days.

I'm also painting my wheels because they're pretty rusty looking (and for practice), and I decided to black out the rear end of the car while the tail lights are off. The bumper has been giving me a lot of trouble though, so I don't know if I'll be able to get it off unfortunately.

Right now, all I can really do is try to get a hold of someone who can do the welding I need. The other things are basically done, or I need parts for.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 01:57:28 AM by Baskinator »

Offline maximus7001

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 12
  • Winnipeg, Canada
« Reply #179 on: August 15, 2011, 02:25:34 AM »
I replaced the whole master cylinder and brake booster a couple weeks ago. Didn't bench bleed it, but I've read about people not having problems without bench bleeding. Even still, all I did was a gravity bleed and the bubbles were seemingly never ending, so it shouldn't have affected that.

I have replaced practically everything in the brake system at this point...

You need to bench bleed it.  Also tap it with a hammer while doing it.

Did you replace the hardlines? Mine were all rotten from the firewall back. I also recently noticed that the front hard lines are nasty as well. Don't overlook the rear hose.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 02:46:35 AM by maximus7001 »
1968 Javelin SST 290
1981 Concord DL sedan, vintage red metallic (now parts car)
1985 Eagle wagon, same colour as the concord (project car/daily driver)
1997 GMC Safari SLT AWD (full time 4x4) G-80 LSD

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk