News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 27, 2024, 08:17:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Summer Job!  (Read 113788 times)

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
Re: Summer Job!
« Reply #150 on: August 02, 2011, 11:35:07 PM »
Oh right, I also have to tend to the trans pan again. Are some of the bolts shorter than others? A couple wouldn't tighten when I replaced it the other day, and now it's leaking again... I might just have to take it off and use a thin layer of black rtv instead of the reusable gasket since it was leaking around the edges and not the bolt holes.

vangremlin(Dave) shipped my new tail lights today, so I should have them to install in a week! My friend is also coming on Thursday to check out what welding needs to be done, I hope to finish that as quickly as possible.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 01:28:46 AM by Baskinator »
1982 AMC Eagle SX/4 (Work In Progress)

Photobucket Album: http://s1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff479/Baskinator/

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #151 on: August 03, 2011, 07:40:19 AM »
Reuseable gasket? I am confused.

Manitowoc WI

Offline philotomy

• Northeast Kingdom, VT.Eagle
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 24
  • AMC guy 'till the day I die
« Reply #152 on: August 03, 2011, 06:43:09 PM »
all the pan bolts are the same size,make sure the mating surfaces are CLEAN and torque,criss cross pattern to 11 ft lbs.
Philotomy,(my old  D+D Hobbit character) noun,pronounced "fil oto mee",but you can call me Don
1987 Eagle station wagon 4.2 mpfi

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
« Reply #153 on: August 04, 2011, 05:45:19 AM »
Reuseable gasket? I am confused.

It's just the rubber gasket that came with the trans filter, nothing special. I was under the impression it could be used alone, that's what I've read elsewhere. I did tighten in a criss cross pattern and torqued the bolts to specification, it's just that one or two keep spinning and won't tighten. Possibly the threads, which would suck, but it is only leaking around the edges and not the bolts, so it should be okay with some black rtv. It did the same thing before installing the drain plug, too.

Back after a day banned from the site, I spent about another 3 hours yesterday trying to bleed the brakes. Three bottles of fluid later, I can finally hear the shoes tightening in the back but still have practically no brakes. However, I ran the car for a few minutes, circulating the new coolant as well as some Seafoam in the crankcase, all while revving my engine to some George Thorogood on the radio  8)

Today will be a long day, but I should hopefully get a lot done and be able to tie up some loose ends. My friend is coming to inspect the car for future weld work tonight, so onto the good stuff  ;)

68AMXGOPAC

« Reply #154 on: August 04, 2011, 07:55:18 AM »
I absalutly had to send you an egg. I must have some in my eye because I certainly can not spell correctly.
You are getting a ton of work done !! Keep going strong, and hope there aren't anymore setbacks.

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #155 on: August 04, 2011, 08:06:21 AM »
gaskets are cheap labor isn't.

Manitowoc WI

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
« Reply #156 on: August 04, 2011, 09:46:32 PM »
Well, once again my water outlet seal did not hold. I tried searching for an answer, but everyone says something different about what to use. Some say red rtv (which didn't work for me despite a day of curing), others say black rtv, and some say to use the paper gasket and ONLY the paper gasket. I think I will try the black first since I just got some for the trans pan, and if that doesn't work I'll go get a new paper gasket.

I changed the fan belt, replaced the wiper blades with some new cheapos, dropped the trans pan so I can put on some black rtv, and capped off a couple lines on the carb. I also attempted to gravity bleed the brakes again, and spent probably an hour and a half on one side using another quart of fluid. It just continued to bubble for no reason, and I've checked all of the connections for leaks. It shouldn't do this even if there is a slight leak though, because I'm just gravity bleeding it ???. Very confusing and time consuming.

My friend couldn't come over tonight after all, hopefully he will soon.

Offline Gil-SX4

• International Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 77
  • December-2003
« Reply #157 on: August 05, 2011, 02:21:58 AM »
Its the roll over safety valve

On the water outlet seal, if youmean the thermostat housing, best solution is to get a new housing and use a regular gasket don't put any thing on it.
If you are referring to a freeze plug seal, then you will need to make sure the block surface where the plug goes in is not pitted to much
Rick Perry President of The Republic Of Texas,
Wants You.
Enlist in the Texas Arm Forces.

"I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands:
     one Nation under God, indivisible, With Liberty and Justice for all."

"Honor the Texas flag; I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas, one and indivisible."

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." --Thomas Jefferson

1983 AMC Eagle SX/4
1985 Chevrolet C-10 Silverado
1995 Ford Aspire
1978 Ford Bronco

Murphy's Law
"If there are two or more ways to do something, and one of those ways can result in a catastrophe, then someone will do it".

Offline Gil-SX4

• International Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 77
  • December-2003
« Reply #158 on: August 05, 2011, 03:27:36 PM »
What I do when this happens is just put a bit of crazy glue on the thermostat to keep it from falling. But dose sticky side gaskets are a great help.
Rick Perry President of The Republic Of Texas,
Wants You.
Enlist in the Texas Arm Forces.

"I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands:
     one Nation under God, indivisible, With Liberty and Justice for all."

"Honor the Texas flag; I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas, one and indivisible."

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." --Thomas Jefferson

1983 AMC Eagle SX/4
1985 Chevrolet C-10 Silverado
1995 Ford Aspire
1978 Ford Bronco

Murphy's Law
"If there are two or more ways to do something, and one of those ways can result in a catastrophe, then someone will do it".

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
« Reply #159 on: August 05, 2011, 03:59:17 PM »
Thank You both! I was reading about using a thin brush-on sealant/glue with the regular gasket, I think I'll wait and do that now. My t-stat was seated correctly, there was only one time that it wouldn't stay right and it didn't cause any trouble.

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
« Reply #160 on: August 05, 2011, 09:31:22 PM »
I should be able to drive the car now, fingers crossed!

Here is the homemade gasket which I punched out of construction paper and sealed on both sides with a Scotch "Permanent Glue Stick". It held up when I filled the radiator and started the car a few minutes ago, so hopefully it keeps.

I sealed up the trans pan with black rtv, filled up the trans fluid, changed the oil and filter, and tried to finish bleeding the brakes. They're at least firm with the car off, but when it's running they're still pretty loose feeling. Not sure what to do about this now.

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
« Reply #161 on: August 05, 2011, 10:33:56 PM »
I replaced the whole master cylinder and brake booster a couple weeks ago. Didn't bench bleed it, but I've read about people not having problems without bench bleeding. Even still, all I did was a gravity bleed and the bubbles were seemingly never ending, so it shouldn't have affected that.

I have replaced practically everything in the brake system at this point...
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 10:35:28 PM by Baskinator »

68AMXGOPAC

« Reply #162 on: August 05, 2011, 10:41:33 PM »
You can do a brake bleed by yourself, just get one of those cheap chck valve ones.one end goes on your bleeder, the other in a container of brake fluid,you can open the bleeder, then get in and pump them up.I have found if you have power brakes, to do it with the car running.

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
« Reply #163 on: August 05, 2011, 10:55:07 PM »
Yeah, I guess I could look for some of those. But even pressure bleeding, I had my mom in the car pumping the pedal the other night and was doing that for probably an hour on one side with no luck. I have been gravity bleeding them (just letting it run out of a tube attached to the bleeder into a container, while continually keeping the fluid level up like I should) because it is supposed to work the same. I just have no idea what could be putting so much air in the system with it all tightened up and not pumping the pedal. I'm pretty sure it shouldn't take several hours to bleed one side, let alone the whole thing.

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
« Reply #164 on: August 06, 2011, 10:14:57 PM »
So it's kinda off topic, but I got some amazing deals on big expensive tools at auction today and had to share.

Just to name a few:

25Gal Craftsman air compressor with 3.5hp motor- $55
Large 2 ton Craftsman speed jack- $15
Box of pneumatic tools, including 2 impact wrenches, 2 drills, and one ratchet, + a Craftsman electric impact wrench- $27
Craftsman portable sprayer- $3
4 very large old steel jack stands- $10
Spyder paintball gun in hard case(to sell and make profit)- $22

+ a 1968 Wheel Horse "Project" Lawn Mower in great shape w/snowblower(no mower deck)- $425

I bought the tractor for my stepdad, thinking it was in excellent condition, but it needs a battery and spark plugs at least, plus the brakes won't seem to disengage. Tires are like new though and it looks awesome. Still a great deal I think, I'm probably gonna try fixing and selling it. But the compressor is like $400 or more new :o

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk