News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• September 28, 2024, 09:06:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Summer Job!  (Read 115718 times)

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
Re: Summer Job!
« Reply #180 on: August 15, 2011, 02:55:13 AM »
Yes, I literally replaced everything but the little "combination valve" (what Chilton's calls it) that sends the fluid to different lines in front and back, and I don't see there being a problem with that either. My steel lines were rusty as could be, most of them just snapped right off.

I'm going to get some speed bleeder screws for the back of the car to see if that solves my problem, since it worked well for the front. If not, I suppose I'll have to take it out and bench bleed it :(. The only problem is that my Advance Auto store doesn't carry the size speed bleeders I need for the rear brakes, so I'll have to order them.
1982 AMC Eagle SX/4 (Work In Progress)

Photobucket Album: http://s1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff479/Baskinator/

68AMXGOPAC

« Reply #181 on: August 15, 2011, 07:55:01 AM »
What are speed bleeders ?

68AMXGOPAC

« Reply #182 on: August 15, 2011, 08:00:38 AM »
PHEW, just missed...

On the plus side, my new Wheel Horse Electro 12 Charger came in handy to pull the branches down!

The trees must really like our Eagles :P
As a direct testament to this phenomonon , look up the post "Money Pit" and go to page 26 , you can see my SX/4 under a large tree, but still standing.

68AMXGOPAC

« Reply #183 on: August 15, 2011, 08:01:53 AM »
actually it is "The SX/4 Money Pit " page #26

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
« Reply #184 on: August 15, 2011, 12:12:05 PM »
Haha, that's actually why I said that. I saw the Money Pit post and was thinking how ironic that the same almost happened to my Eagle. I was standing behind the car when it happened and watched the tree fall. Thankfully the rest of the tree didn't fall, because that would surely have wrecked the car.

Speed bleeders are just regular bleeder screws with check valves in them, you turn them a quarter turn and can pump the brakes without having to close them each time.

Offline Jurjen

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 168
  • Dutch Eagle Preservation Front
« Reply #185 on: August 15, 2011, 04:29:17 PM »
One of my motorcycles has difficult to bleed brakes, when the system has been completely empty.
I used some advice I found on the internet: use al the line couplings as bleeders and start at the master brake cylinder.
Have some pushing down the brake while you release the line nuts and shut it again before he releases the pedal. Repeat this until the oil comes out. Then continue to the next nut in the line and work your way back to the rear brakes.
Worked like a dream for me.
"sparrows fly in flocks, eagles fly alone"

Eagle Wagon Limited 1983, Citroen C-Crosser 2010, Triumph Bonneville 1969, Yamaha XJR1300 1999, Yamaha TX750 1973

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf0jpiW6tRI

Click for Leeuwarden, Netherlands Forecast" height="90" width="160

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
« Reply #186 on: August 17, 2011, 10:35:32 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion, haven't heard that one yet!

Unfortunately I will not be able to finish the car before I go back to school (clearly). I am volunteering at the Philadelphia Folk Fest all week in the rain, and then I leave for school next Thursday. I'm still trying to organize for the welding to be done before then, but we'll see. Hopefully I can get a job at school and make some money so I can finish it before winter comes. If not, I guess it will have to wait until next summer. I'll try my hardest to get it all done though, I know my brother will help me finish it. It kills me not to be able to drive this Eagle yet.

This is all I still have to do:

-Remove Rust, Weld Panels, Floorboards, and Frame

-Bleed Rear Brakes

-Fix Shifter Button
-Fix Speedometer
-Finish Hanging Exhaust
-Fix and Install Driver Door Handle

-Adjust/Rebuild/Replace Carburetor (would like to just put on the Motorcraft)
-Replace Output Shaft Seal on Transfer Case
-Replace Right Lower Spring Seat
-Replace Tires

-Registration/Insurance/Emissions/Inspection

Not sure yet, but I may also have to get some new steering components, like tie rod ends (if I want it aligned correctly). It seems like a lot, but if I had the parts, my brother and I could do everything but the welding in just a few days. I can't believe school starts in a week...

« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 12:10:26 PM by Baskinator »

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
« Reply #187 on: August 24, 2011, 12:57:14 AM »
The painters tape pulled off the old paint. I may have left it on too long, but it pulled it off on another section after just a few minutes. This is the temporary spray job in black.

Also started out the back section with primer, it was too thin and ran a lot. I'll sand it down tomorrow and try to fix it before putting on the top coat.

Offline philotomy

• Northeast Kingdom, VT.Eagle
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 24
  • AMC guy 'till the day I die
« Reply #188 on: August 25, 2011, 09:42:23 AM »
looking good
Philotomy,(my old  D+D Hobbit character) noun,pronounced "fil oto mee",but you can call me Don
1987 Eagle station wagon 4.2 mpfi

Prafeston

« Reply #189 on: August 25, 2011, 06:43:09 PM »
Chug chug! You're train just keeps one moving! :)

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
« Reply #190 on: August 25, 2011, 10:43:14 PM »
Chug chug! You're train just keeps one moving! :)

It will, until Saturday when I leave. Heck, maybe I'll take something along to work on at school  ;)

Man, I really do chug along when time is running out. It feels like I got a ton done today.

Sportin' the new tail light lenses, thanks to vangremlin, and my sloppy paint job.

Newly "rebuilt" carburetor.

I didn't have a kit, so I just reused the old gaskets. I'm going to do it again another time, but I have to say that this was probably the easiest, most exciting and rewarding job I have done so far. Despite the complexity, I just labeled every little piece in baggies and took lots of pictures and it went real smooth. Started last night and finished this afternoon, only a few hours altogether.

I also discovered what I believe is the reason I went and put in a whole new brake booster. Right where the booster hose connects to the intake manifold, there is a T which sends air to the charcoal canister. The line that was connected to it had a big hole in it, and that's probably what I heard air coming from. Oh well, at least my booster shouldn't have problems anytime soon...

Offline jim

• Thumbs Up 102
« Reply #191 on: August 25, 2011, 11:25:17 PM »
That paint job does not look sloppy to me.
You've done really great, but soon you may have to change the name of your thread to Fall Job. ;D
I'm right 98% of the time, and I don't care about the other 3%.
"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people;
that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."
--Thomas Jefferson to John Cartwright, 1824. ME 16:45
What part of "shall not be infringed" do they not understand?
08 Impala
01 Yukon 4X4
(There's more to life than fuel mileage)
83 Eagle wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
88 Eagle white woody wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
86 wagon parts car
Click for Little Rock, AR Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
« Reply #192 on: August 25, 2011, 11:32:38 PM »
The paint looks good everywhere that it didn't run, which was hardly anywhere. I guess from 20 feet away, or in pictures, it looks ok, but it is certainly much better than before. There are also a lot of sanding marks showing through, because I used a very low grit.

But thank you, it took me forever!
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 11:14:20 PM by Baskinator »

Offline maddog

• a long haired redneck country boy
  • Thumbs Up 50
  • AMC Eagle the original crossover
« Reply #193 on: August 25, 2011, 11:48:40 PM »
sounds like the paint job i'm doing on the racecar i'm building. looks good from a distance but if you get close you can see all the flaws in the paint but since mine is going on the track it doesn't matter. but yours looks good. just sand with some fine grain sandpaper and somemore paint (just remember to not spray heavy coats or it will run again) and it will look good no matter how close you get.
1998 CHEVY S10 (DAILY DRIVER/PROJECT) INTIMIDATIN'
1980 AMC EAGLE WAGON (PROJECT) EAGLE EYES
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=30758.0
1983 AMC EAGLE LIMITED WAGON-SURVIVOR (gone)
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=32372.0

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
« Reply #194 on: August 28, 2011, 06:51:04 PM »
Yeah, it's not a huge deal. My biggest objective was to keep it from rusting any further, and it will do just that. It will remain a 20-footer until I get a chance to paint the whole car and do a good job.

I was wondering how difficult it would be to remove the intake manifold, now that the carburetor is off. Maybe if I could at least clean it up and replace the gasket, it could look a bit nicer. Since everyone confirms that I do in fact have a 4.0 engine, is there any difference in the intake from a 4.2?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk