News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• July 02, 2024, 05:30:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Summer Job!  (Read 113847 times)

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
Re: Summer Job!
« Reply #210 on: September 04, 2011, 12:48:42 AM »
Here are some pictures of the intake manifold with the carburetor off:

The engine:

And the rebuilt carburetor installed:

1982 AMC Eagle SX/4 (Work In Progress)

Photobucket Album: http://s1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff479/Baskinator/

Offline ammachine390

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 42
« Reply #211 on: September 04, 2011, 02:03:09 AM »
Looks like you have a 258 in there. As stated earlier, you have a mechanical fuel pump, which 4.0s didn't. The valve cover design is for a 258, however, I don't think that style would have been used on an 82. I guessing someone put a cylinder head (or maybe the whole engine) from an 87 or up in yours. And the exhaust manifold looks like a 258's as well.

And by the way, great job on making a ton of progress on your car. I wish I worked as fast as you.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 02:04:40 AM by ammachine390 »
Dan
1981 AMC Concord DL 258 Auto

Click for Villa_Park, IL Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
« Reply #212 on: September 04, 2011, 12:06:37 PM »
Ok, so it's probably just the whole 258 from a late 80s Jeep then. Thanks!

As you can see, I had loosened the bolts for the intake manifold so I could take it off and paint it, then realized that there was some tube going from the intake to exhaust which would prevent it from coming off alone. Not sure what the tube was, but it was sitting underneath where the carb goes and it looked like it would be extremely difficult to remove without screwing something up. I decided not to after all since I only had a day to mess with it and didn't want to drain the coolant.

Offline GRONK

• The carburetor dude
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 55
    • GRONK Performance
« Reply #213 on: September 04, 2011, 12:38:24 PM »
That tube is part of the EGR system.  Not difficult to get off.
"Bucket" 1983 Limited Wagon
"Tootie" 1984 Wagon
Owner - GRONK Performance

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
« Reply #214 on: September 04, 2011, 01:44:52 PM »
It looked like it was screwed into both the intake and exhaust, correct? If so, I'm pretty sure the fittings were rusted to the tube, making it impossible to unscrew without destroying. I didn't take a real long, good look at it, so maybe I missed something.

Offline Jurjen

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 168
  • Dutch Eagle Preservation Front
« Reply #215 on: September 04, 2011, 03:04:19 PM »
No, you are right on the money.
When you start messing with it, it will probably be destroyed (pipe will break, or the nut will crumble) and new ones are hard to find.
Most Eaglers plug them anyway (if you do not need it for emmisions).
"sparrows fly in flocks, eagles fly alone"

Eagle Wagon Limited 1983, Citroen C-Crosser 2010, Triumph Bonneville 1969, Yamaha XJR1300 1999, Yamaha TX750 1973

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf0jpiW6tRI

Click for Leeuwarden, Netherlands Forecast" height="90" width="160

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
« Reply #216 on: September 04, 2011, 03:18:02 PM »
Ok, that's what I was thinking. I'll have to take it off eventually, but as long as I can put something there to make it look like it's together, it should be fine.

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
« Reply #217 on: September 13, 2011, 08:03:44 PM »
Here's the Eagle as it sits right now:

Over the weekend, captspillane (Dave) took me on a tour to see most of his Eagles, as well as many other really cool cars he has. The Subaru 360 Microcars were pretty awesome, and his assortment of engines, transmissions, and parts was just out of this world (to me). We even stopped at a car show along the way and saw another Eagle wagon on the way out. Dave is extremely knowledgable of these cars, and was very kind to teach me how to drive stick shift. Needless to say, it was a fun, eventful weekend.

Also because of him, I was able to fix my driver door handle and get the panel all put back together. He gave me a new egg crate grill with no big cracks in it like mine. Still have to paint it black.

The best part is that he gave me a working shifter, so I was able to get that all fixed up!

Prafeston

« Reply #218 on: September 13, 2011, 08:21:11 PM »
Good deal man. Hope you can get her running it to school with you some time this semester.

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
« Reply #219 on: September 13, 2011, 10:27:08 PM »
My hopes are to get it on the road by the end of winter break. Still have a bit of a ways to go, but I think it's doable.

Offline captspillane

• The Perkiomen Eagle Sanctuary
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 137
« Reply #220 on: September 25, 2011, 01:39:48 PM »
So you need a welder, aye? This guy made one from scrap metal. Its really just a home-made transformer that multiplies the AC voltage he has it plugged into. You need alot of voltage to weld with a coat hangar, like he's doing. Transformers need AC inputs, DC doesn't work. A slab of metal heats up and loses power too much, so the trick is to use thin slices of metal insulated from each other as the transformer body.  The output of the transformer is governed by the input AC voltage and the ratio of wraps in the center of it. This one probably doubles his input voltage.

Currently Inspected and Insured as of Jan 2013:
-1985 Eagle Station Wagon 258 T5 Stickshift
-1980 Eagle Station Wagon 258 Auto Fuel-injected with GM TBI

Minor Repairs Underway:
-1982 Eagle SX4 258 T5
-1981 Kammback 2.5L Iron Duke T5

Restoration Efforts Near Completion:
-1982 SX4- 401 NV3550
-1983 SX4- 4.5 MPI NSG370 (6 Speed)

Restoration Efforts Underway:
-1985 SW- 4.0 MPI AX15
-1982 SX4- 4.0 AW4
-1981 SX4- SD33T NV4500 (Turbodiesel 5 speed)

Future Rescue Efforts- '85 Maroon SW, '87 Limited SW, '84 Limited SW, '87 4 door Sedan, '81 2 door Sedan, '88 White SW, '77 4 door Hornet, '74 2 door Hornet, '79 Spirit AMX, '81 Kammback.

RIP- Red '81 SX4, '84 4dr Sedan, '84 SW, '81 SW, '80 Spirit, '83 SW, '83 4dr Sedan

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
« Reply #221 on: September 25, 2011, 02:39:59 PM »
Wow, it's pretty amazing how people come up with all these makeshift welders. Doesn't look pretty, but at least it gets the job done.

I still have to learn to weld properly, but I'm pretty confident that I could do the repairs myself. I hope to get a lot done when I'm home next in a couple weeks, and possibly get this thing up and driving.

Offline rollguy

• Turbo Diesel Eagle
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 84
  • Southern California
« Reply #222 on: September 25, 2011, 03:32:50 PM »

That has to be the weirdest thing I have ever seen!!
1980 Eagle Turbodiesel Wagon (only 2 known to exist as of 2008)- 7-7-2011 Flight to it's new nest @ Rambler Ranch
1983 Eagle Wagon  Tan over Copper
1982 Eagle SX4 "ALTREGL"  (avatar photo)
1982 Eagle 4 Door Sedan  Copper over Satin Black
1985 Eagle Sport Wagon October 2007 ROTM (SOLD)
4 Biofuel powered Benzs ('98 E300, '82 300 CD, '82 300 TD (wagon), '80 240 D)
1983 GMC Van (6.2 Diesel)
1985 Mitsubishi pickup (2.3 Turbodiesel)

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
« Reply #223 on: October 03, 2011, 02:58:42 AM »
Fall Break is coming up and I will be home next weekend to work on my car. With a limited amount of time, I am gathering parts and deciding what I want to accomplish with this.

There are a lot of things I can do pretty easily, but I'm not exactly sure how long they will each take. I will have about 4 days and I want to complete as much as possible. I know I can work on several things in sequence, and I'm planning out exactly how I want the process to go so it will get done faster.

Right now, it basically goes like this:

-Re-do transmission pan gasket (correctly this time)
-Remove front and rear driveshafts
-Jack up trans crossmember to remove bolts and slowly lower transmission for access to cooler line fittings
-Replace transmission cooler lines
-Clean up around trans and crossmember gunk
-Jack up crossmember and reinstall bolts
-Remove and replace all four u-joints on the driveshafts
-Reinstall driveshafts in alignment
-Fill transmission fluid
-Attempt to finish bleeding brakes
-Finish hanging exhaust
-Possibly test drive?

The actual list is a lot longer and more detailed than this, with individual steps so I can check off EXACTLY what to do. I've got all the little things covered, like making sure to have the hood open when the trans is lowered and drawing a line on the driveshafts for removal. I've been making myself well aware of the entire process for all of this. Just didn't want to bore you more than I already am ;D

If I get a chance to meet up with Dave (captspillane), I would also like to change out my coil spring seats if he has them, maybe upper control arms too, and paint them all up including the springs. Then I want to put on a new steering damper/shock/stabilizer, whatever you want to call it, so I don't have problems with it in the near future. Maybe I'll even get to put some other tires on as well, the one is completely flat.

I highly doubt I'll get any welding done, but ya never know. Maybe my brother will volunteer for that??? ;)

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
« Reply #224 on: October 13, 2011, 12:02:02 AM »
So, I got more and less done over break than I had hoped for. However, it moved along nicely and is just a few steps away from a drivable vehicle.

I painted my brake drums with caliper paint:

Painted my rear drive shaft and installed new u-joints:

Got pictures of the rear brake overhaul I did a while back:

Dave also came over and helped immensely. He's a real animal when it comes to these cars ;)

He put on my new steering stabilizer, which looks great and is snugged up with some anti-seize lubricant. Unfortunately I didn't get a pic of that while I had the chance.

I re-did the trans pan gasket, but the threads on a few bolt holes were stripped which probably caused some of the leakage before. We went back to Dave's garage where he custom made a couple new slightly larger bolts and enlarged the gasket holes, then came back and tapped the holes for nice new threads. The pan went back on snug with the new bolts, but some of the old ones were still spinning a little bit so we left it be for now.

We also tapped the bolt holes for the trans crossmember and put in some much nicer, clean bolts. They went in like butter, and had some anti-seize on them too. One old bolt head sheared off, so that will have to be drilled out later.

I was removing the trans cooler lines, and when I looked up, Dave had all of my seats out of the car stacked in a neat pile. I couldn't believe how fast he did it, but that's great because they needed to come out to remove the carpet eventually. I got the trans lines off, but didn't have enough time to put new ones on.

I also removed the front drive shaft to replace the u-joints the next time I'm home. While looking up at that, I noticed my kickdown linkage to the trans is rusted in 3 pieces. Maybe that's why it wouldn't shift, but I hope to get that fixed next time as well.

I helped Dave in his garage tear down the suspension and front crossmember on one of his Eagle parts cars, while he disassembled an engine and guided me along the way. In exchange, he gifted me with these gems:

plus a pair of barely used front shocks. I'll get these scrubbed down and painted later and replace my rusted out junk. They were from the car we took apart, those springs were a bear to get out.

We had a little confusion for one part though. When I replaced the rear u-joints, there was no ridge to hold the two bearing cups in place. The old ones were held by a pair of U shaped clips, but the new part doesn't have a slot for these clips. I tried reusing the clips, but they pressed out the boots on the cups and it still slides back and forth. Anyone know what I'm talking about and a solution, besides using the old bearing cups?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk