News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• July 08, 2024, 04:55:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Whuntmore's Eagle Project - Flicker (Picture heavy!)  (Read 135426 times)

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • If a hammer won't fix it, it's probably electrical
Re: Whuntmore's Eagle Project - Flicker (Picture heavy!)
« Reply #75 on: November 28, 2010, 02:51:42 AM »
Thanks, I actually got a carb kit, and I managed to get it all together with no issues.  Now, whether it's alined right is a different matter, but physically it's together right. 

got a lot done today.  Pat and I managed to swap all the new steering parts from the donor eagle to Flicker.

So all it needs is to have an aliment done, and that's that. 

So, we gotta finish the carb, Pat is working on taking all the crap (pollution crap) off the car, and Next (I think) is gonna be the windshield.  We'll see what we can get done.

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
« Reply #76 on: November 28, 2010, 01:44:25 PM »
So here's a pic of the carb almost completely stripped. 

I got a carb kit and I also got the new floats.  Now, one thing I did do is you're supposed to 'bend' the floats till they are 1/4 inch from the top of that section to the crest of the float. (you have to flip it upside down to measure this) and then once that's done, then you can start putting the rest in.  Now, there are several adjustments to rebuilding it, and I'm going thru it, but that's what I've adjusted so far.

Offline JayRamb

• ELLA THE EAGLE & EDWIN THE EAGLE
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • AMC passion for over 32 years. BIG advocate!
    • UPDATED!!  1967 Rambler Rebel weebly website
« Reply #77 on: November 28, 2010, 09:01:54 PM »
If you have a Firestone near you, they do have an optional Lifetime Alignment.  Check it every 6 months or each tire rotation! 
Jayson H.
Best HWY Mileage of 87 Eagle:  26.2 MPG

Believer in AMSOIL & Seafoam
1987 Garnet Red Eagle Wagon: 70,500 miles
1967 Rambler Rebel 4 Door 290 V8 (original family car) Marina Aqua 142K miles
1985 Eagle Wagon in Autumn Brown 74,800 miles as my daily driver
SOLD 1984 Black Eagle Limited w/Tach & gauge cluster: 245,100 miles SOLD

Alcology

« Reply #78 on: November 29, 2010, 05:51:30 PM »
I just rebuilt my carb with a kit.  My floats were fine but out of adjustment.  Make sure to look out for the check balls when you're moving things around.  Tiny buggers

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
« Reply #79 on: December 04, 2010, 01:13:03 AM »
Well, we got the carb on the car, and it fired up.  Needs some more adjusting, but it actually fired up.  My first carb rebuild, and it works.  Amazing.

So I found some wine colored spray, and I did the breather pan.  It's kind of a red wine with a touch of purple.

then I had to get a new solenoid, and that on.

You might also notice that there's an inline heater on the hose.  That came off my donor car.  Do that sucker ever get hot!

last thing today was brakes.  I had to replace the cylinders, shoes, all springs, plus all the adjusters and the star adjuster.

the drums are coming in tomorrow, and I'll have them on the car by noon.   I think next is gonna be redoing the windshield.  We also have to upgrade the ignition.  We'll see what's next to tackle.

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
« Reply #80 on: December 05, 2010, 01:21:17 AM »
better pics:

Finally got the drums in, and on.  all the brakes are done. 

We also had a small issue with the E brake cable.  the two coming from the drums are good, but the main one was rusted solid.  So Luckily the one on the donor car was the opposite.  We took the main E cable off, soaked it in graphite till it came out the other end, and then got it on Flicker.  Works perfectly.

So the carb needs some adjusting, but the car runs.  We got all the brakes done, E brake done, carb on and semi tuned, and I got the wiring issue fixed (I think) and then we rolled it out for a shot.

then Pat and I took it for a short run on the back road.  It hesitates a bit when giving it 'the heavy foot' but otherwise, seems to run ok.  I'll post the video of a short run asap.  Pat got sand for his sandblaster, and we played around with it doing rims, and some rust spots on the car.

We're really close to this car being safetied for the road.  Aliment, windshield done, the rest of my tail lights, and then I want the carb adjusted.

Offline Mechanic

• "This is gona be expensive....."
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 53
  • Which project to start first....
« Reply #81 on: December 05, 2010, 01:25:27 AM »
Yes, you should post some pics of the samd blasting if you took any.
2000 Toyota 4runner 221,000 k's (DD)
1997 Chevy S10 180,000 k's (Project car)
1988 Mazda RX-7 248,000 k's (For Sale)
1984 AMC Eagle Wagon 192,000 k's (Project car)
1981 AMC Eagle SX/4 65,000 k's (Restoration Project)
1981 AMC Eagle SX/4 140,000 k's (Trail build)
1981 Chevy Camaro Burlineta 134,000 K's (Performance build)
1977 Ford F350 Dually with dump (farm truck project)

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
« Reply #82 on: December 05, 2010, 01:44:14 AM »
well, tomorrow when you test the cold weather start up, get a shot of her with some of the rust spots we treated. 

Here's the video of her running.  Since there's no insurance, I just took it up and down the driveway, with a quick cross of the road.  No great video, but I just wanted to post her running pretty good for the first time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qt5qqgNh_D0

Offline 83Eagle!

• Thumbs Up 180
« Reply #83 on: December 05, 2010, 02:08:25 AM »
Sounds great.  Nice work.  Looks like you have it running really nicely.
Click for La_Vista, Ne Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they
are genuine."

- Abraham Lincoln

1983 Eagle Wagon
2003 Saturn LW200
2007 Saturn Ion
1985 Mallard Class C motor home

After our fiasco with the Toyota Corolla I got for my wife I believe I am done with Japanese vehicles.

Dude you are preaching to a choir member that is close to becoming an AMC Minister if you know what I mean.

Offline juhap

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 57
« Reply #84 on: December 05, 2010, 03:26:57 AM »
Nice. It is good to see that one of these birds flies again...

I wonder when I can show that kid of vid...
American 440 Hardtop, American 220 2d (x2), American 330 4 d, American 330 Cross Country(x2), American F/EX Gasser, AMC Eagle STW (x4), AMC Matador Coupe Oleg Cassini(2x), Hornet 2d (x3), Willys Jeepster 1950, Jeep Cherokee 2d, Rogue 1966-SCRambler Replica
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2465938  eagle
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2465930   american
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2263025   american HT

Offline Mechanic

• "This is gona be expensive....."
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 53
  • Which project to start first....
« Reply #85 on: December 05, 2010, 01:30:29 PM »
Ok, i'll see what I can do. started right up by the way, we think the choke gap is a little less then it should be but the car started right up without much of a complaint. I did notice the brakes are still a little soft and the E-brake dosen't hold so it needs ajusting. but that's it.
2000 Toyota 4runner 221,000 k's (DD)
1997 Chevy S10 180,000 k's (Project car)
1988 Mazda RX-7 248,000 k's (For Sale)
1984 AMC Eagle Wagon 192,000 k's (Project car)
1981 AMC Eagle SX/4 65,000 k's (Restoration Project)
1981 AMC Eagle SX/4 140,000 k's (Trail build)
1981 Chevy Camaro Burlineta 134,000 K's (Performance build)
1977 Ford F350 Dually with dump (farm truck project)

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
« Reply #86 on: December 05, 2010, 01:44:11 PM »
wicked.  I figured that choke was not working quite right, but I'll have to grind it off, and put a better one on then.   

Yeah, the brakes are just slightly soft, and the E-brake was a bit easy to push down, so I figured it would need some tightening, but otherwise, it all works like new!   That's awesome, thx for all the help.  eggs to Pat!
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 01:45:51 PM by Whuntmore »

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
« Reply #87 on: December 05, 2010, 03:31:02 PM »
Something else I forgot to mention:  We were looking all over town for the ignition upgrade, and we discovered it had already been done!  The distributor already has the adaptor and the Ford cap.  So we changed out the wires (from 7mm to 8mm) and changed out all the plugs.

Looks like the P.O. started doing this kind of work, but when he got his '54 ford (I think that's the year) he abandoned the eagle, and started on the ford.  Works for me!

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
« Reply #88 on: December 08, 2010, 12:08:36 AM »
So today I took out the windshield for a new one.  My god that was hard to cut out.  It wasn't that black putty that they use, it was rubber. 

Took 3 hrs, 4 guitar strings, a bunch of wire, several olfa blades, some knuckle skin and allot of swearing.

first took the chrome off and started cutting the window out.

Then I did some sandblasting so I wouldn't be vacuuming for weeks.  I did around the window as much as I could.
finally got the window out:

and then Pat was able to help me scrape out all that rubber. 

I pretty much spent all day on that.  Tomorrow I'll do some more sandblasting then I gotta get the surface ready for a new windshield.  Any ideas on how to prep it.

Offline dustybat13

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #89 on: December 08, 2010, 02:00:31 AM »
Whuntmore, get your metal prep and painting done first. Then after it has had a chance to cure, you can start on the prep for the new windshield. There should be some rubber spacers that you had to cut out of the old urethane. If they are still useable, then put a dab of new urethane on the bottoms of them and stick them on in roughly the same spot that they came out of. Let the urethane set up for a bit so that they do not slide around while you try to put the new windshield in. Next, put a bead of urethane around the frame that is slightly higher than the rubber spacers. Make sure to cover the top of the spacers as well as around the perimiter of them. That is the most common area for a new windshield to leak. After that, get a friend to help you lower the new windshield into place, this is a great time to have some rubber gloves on because that urethane will get everywhere and it will not come off your hands for a really long time! After the windshield is in place, carefully "thump" it with the palm of your hand all the way around the edges. This will help to seat it in the urethane properly. Do not "thump" it too hard though or you will risk cracking it. Once it is in, then you will want to clean up the stray urethane that will undoubtedly get all over the place. Mineral spirits or goof off works well for this but watch out for paint that has not had enough time to cure! you will damage that nice glossy look with caustic chemicals. Next is to get the trim back on. Someone chime in here because I cannot remember, but I think that the Eagle has the clips that need to be set into the urethane to hold them in. If this is the case, then dab a little urethane on the end of each clip and press it into the window channel. This is what holds it in for all those high speed maneuvers. ;D After you have all the trim pieces aligned, make sure to use some masking tape to hold them tight against the windshield and body. Be generous with the tape, this will assure that the trim pieces sit flat.

Some added notes:
Roll down the windows slightly before you start and keep them down until the urethane has had a chance to cure. if not, then you run the risk of blowing out the seal that you just worked so hard to attain.
If you lost the rubber spacers, check with a local body shop.
Take your time in setting up everything you need before you start. After you get going, there is no stopping.
You can take the time to mask off around the windshield with tape and newspaper if you want, this will pay off in the long run with trying to track down all the nasty black goo that is left behind.
Wear clothes that you don't care about and have lots of rags within reach.

Please add more if anyone can think of it.

Dustin
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 02:05:04 AM by dustybat13 »
Click for PORTLAND, STATE Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk