News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 26, 2024, 05:09:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: ESPO leaf springs flattened?  (Read 53499 times)

Offline bigdog56e

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 65
Re: ESPO leaf springs flattened?
« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2008, 03:11:05 PM »
andyb,
        i am getting my front coils from Eaton when I get to that project. Think their leaf springs are quite pricey, but you get what you pay for.
                                                                                                           Eddie

Offline Shin-X

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 30
« Reply #46 on: March 28, 2008, 07:05:06 PM »
ESPO told me that they are made 50 at a time...whether or not that means they get them made for them in 50's or what, I dont know.

Again, Im just taking 2 leafs out of my old ones and shoving them in my new ones and we will see how that works out.

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 477
« Reply #47 on: March 28, 2008, 07:11:36 PM »
50 at a time kinda of makes me wonder if they are Eagle specific?
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline bigdog56e

• Thumbs Up 65
« Reply #48 on: March 28, 2008, 07:20:14 PM »
  Doug,
         I agree with you, twenty five sets of springs is a bit of inventory to carry for one application.
                                                                                                 Eddie

Offline Shin-X

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 30
« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2008, 08:15:52 PM »
Well they are basically a phone-in operation that orders their parts from warehouses and are drop-shipped to the customer, so technically if you have one manufacturer providing the springs for many companies its really not a high number.

Its possible that the few places that sell the cheap springs all have the same manufacturer...I believe there was 3 places mentioned.

Offline jim

• Thumbs Up 102
« Reply #50 on: March 28, 2008, 08:36:53 PM »
ESPO told me that they are made 50 at a time...whether or not that means they get them made for them in 50's or what, I dont know.

Again, Im just taking 2 leafs out of my old ones and shoving them in my new ones and we will see how that works out.
I would really like to know how to go about doing that.  I will appreciate tips and pictures if possible.
I'm right 98% of the time, and I don't care about the other 3%.
"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people;
that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."
--Thomas Jefferson to John Cartwright, 1824. ME 16:45
What part of "shall not be infringed" do they not understand?
08 Impala
01 Yukon 4X4
(There's more to life than fuel mileage)
83 Eagle wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
88 Eagle white woody wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
86 wagon parts car
Click for Little Rock, AR Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline Route 66 Rambler

• American Muscle Conspiracy #000001
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 47
  • Time Travel in the Sonoran Desert
    • Route 66 Rambler AMC
« Reply #51 on: March 28, 2008, 10:55:51 PM »
I measured leaf springs on a Cherokee today, very quickly, they are very close to the 52 inch length mentioned above.  The bolts and bushings seem to be bigger or heavier than the Eagle. 

It shouldn't be hard to work with, and Terra used to make a pair of swivel shackles that I used on my Cherokee that would give some real articulation on the trail.  There was enough axle movement available to warrant longer brake lines.  And a retaining pin could be snapped on to lock them  into a rigid road configuration.   When they were pinned up, you couldn't tell any difference from the stock mountings.  I don't remember what they cost, and I don't know if Terra is even still around, or if they still make them.  Those or another shackle could be used to mount a set of Jeep springs more easily, perhaps.  This Terra system didn't add any significant lift, just provided extra travel, mostly in the downward swing, and only while un-pinned.

But the length of the springs is close enough to be worth a closer look.  Maybe remove a spring from a Cherokee leaf pack if it's too stiff.
mike
Nashin' and Thrashin'
1966 Rambler American 343 Convertible
1981 Eagle Kammback- Kactus Kammster

Offline Gil-SX4

• International Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 77
  • December-2003
« Reply #52 on: March 29, 2008, 12:23:23 AM »
I've seeing the shackles you are referring to they are call the Revolver I think.
Rick Perry President of The Republic Of Texas,
Wants You.
Enlist in the Texas Arm Forces.

"I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands:
     one Nation under God, indivisible, With Liberty and Justice for all."

"Honor the Texas flag; I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas, one and indivisible."

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." --Thomas Jefferson

1983 AMC Eagle SX/4
1985 Chevrolet C-10 Silverado
1995 Ford Aspire
1978 Ford Bronco

Murphy's Law
"If there are two or more ways to do something, and one of those ways can result in a catastrophe, then someone will do it".

Offline Shin-X

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 30
« Reply #53 on: March 29, 2008, 12:31:52 AM »

I would really like to know how to go about doing that.  I will appreciate tips and pictures if possible.

Sorry Jim, I wont be doing it myself...My mechanic will be doing it for me. He says hes done it a lot before. Not sure what all is involved. My own mechanical abilities range somewhere between none and limited.

Offline Route 66 Rambler

• American Muscle Conspiracy #000001
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 47
  • Time Travel in the Sonoran Desert
    • Route 66 Rambler AMC
« Reply #54 on: March 29, 2008, 12:32:33 AM »
Revolver was the name.

If these spring applications are compatible with each other, maybe the two sets of leaves could be combined in some manner for soft initial travel, and progressively stiffer rates, like two Eagle leafs and a Cherokee one, or something.
Nashin' and Thrashin'
1966 Rambler American 343 Convertible
1981 Eagle Kammback- Kactus Kammster

Offline bigdog56e

• Thumbs Up 65
« Reply #55 on: March 29, 2008, 08:23:43 AM »
  Shin-x,
          I was thinking along those lines. My thoughts were to get a set of Cherokee springs and disassemble them and use all but the main leaf, leave the Eagle main leaf in place, add Cherokee leaves until you get the ride and height you want. It can be done without removing Eagle main leaf, jack the car up by frame, let the axle droop, remove the u bolts, clamp leaves together with a heavy duty c-clamp, remove spring center bolt, release the c-clamp,, remove the leaves, then slide the Cherokee leaves in place, align the center bolt hole, clamp the leaves back together with c-clamp, install the center bolt and ubolts, depending on the thickness of the Cherokke springs, you may have to get longer ubolts. I did a ford pickup like this one time, I got another set of springs, cut the eyes off main leaf, and used the entire spring along with the main leaf on the truck, gave it more load capacity.
                                                                                                                      Eddie

Offline jim

• Thumbs Up 102
« Reply #56 on: March 29, 2008, 07:45:25 PM »
Shin-X, your thread has turned into a general discussion about sagging springs and remedies, more than ESPO springs.
Wouild you prefer this to move to a new thread?

In the meantime, one of my concerns with combining springs is knowing which leaf to add .
I saw Eddie's post about how to decide how many.  I suppose his method would work when combining Eagle springs.
"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people;
08 Impala
01 Yukon 4X4
86 wagon parts car

Offline Shin-X

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 30
« Reply #57 on: March 29, 2008, 07:53:12 PM »
No I dont mind, this is all relevant information in my books so its good its all here.....if you dont get ESPO springs you need to know what else works and doesnt as well.

I talked to my mechanic today and what we are going to do is take the two longest leafs out of my current springs, cut the ends off so the first ends up being about 2 inches shorter then the biggest one, then the next under that.

So it will go new spring (with the eyelets and such)
old spring with eyelets cut off, two inches shorter than the first one.
then the rest of the new ones and one of the old ones, with one of them cut down a bit so they arent the same length.

So it should hold the rear end up and also lift it up to the same height as my front end.

Sorry, Unfortunately I am not good at explaining this as he is the one who knows what hes talking about and im just trying to explain it back the way I understood it.  ;D

Offline jim

• Thumbs Up 102
« Reply #58 on: March 29, 2008, 08:03:05 PM »
Thanks.  I think it will be quite clear when I take the time to cipher it out.
Do you know how he plans to cut the leaf?  I wonder if a torch would destroy the temper?
08 Impala
01 Yukon 4X4
86 wagon parts car

Offline Jurjen

• Thumbs Up 168
  • Dutch Eagle Preservation Front
« Reply #59 on: March 30, 2008, 06:23:12 AM »
Yup, a torch will destroy the temper, an angle grinder does the job in two minutes.
"sparrows fly in flocks, eagles fly alone"

Eagle Wagon Limited 1983, Citroen C-Crosser 2010, Triumph Bonneville 1969, Yamaha XJR1300 1999, Yamaha TX750 1973

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf0jpiW6tRI

Click for Leeuwarden, Netherlands Forecast" height="90" width="160

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk