News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• September 28, 2024, 06:33:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: ESPO leaf springs flattened?  (Read 54656 times)

andyb

Re: ESPO leaf springs flattened?
« Reply #75 on: January 06, 2009, 01:48:10 PM »
thanks for the report on McVeigh's, I was considering a pair from them, think now I'll just have the originals re arched and a leaf added at the local truck spring shop, they can't be any worse than what's available

Offline jim

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 102
« Reply #76 on: January 06, 2009, 07:57:00 PM »
I don't plan to do any spring work soon, as I have already bought 2 sets.
When I do get ready again I may check with Superior Spring in North Little Rock, Arkansas.
Allen reminded me about them when we were at the Tama meet.
They are an old truck spring company.
I'm right 98% of the time, and I don't care about the other 3%.
"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people;
that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."
--Thomas Jefferson to John Cartwright, 1824. ME 16:45
What part of "shall not be infringed" do they not understand?
08 Impala
01 Yukon 4X4
(There's more to life than fuel mileage)
83 Eagle wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
88 Eagle white woody wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
86 wagon parts car
Click for Little Rock, AR Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline nightrider

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #77 on: January 06, 2009, 11:49:27 PM »
After studying the frame measurement drawing in Eaglepedia, I see why we may problems with the springs. If you look at the drawing for the spring measurement (52-1/2") the measurement line is drawn straight. If you place the axle underneath the line with weight on the eyes (imagine putting a stick across your thigh) it would flatten out. The only way to keep any arch in it would be to stiffen it so it would ride like a truck and where it is mounted the lift would be to much to keep up with an IFS front end. My though is to move the spring to the bottom of the axle and use possibly 73-87 1/2t Chevy truck springs with the overloads removed and a 3" lift (compensate axle diameter). Even with the increased lift the ride shouldn't be to bad and springs would have a better availability. Any thoughts? 
1988 AMC Eagle
1985 AMC Eagle
1983 AMC Spirit GT
1981 AMC Spirit DL
1968 AMC AMX

CAUTION:  My bumper is non-partial, it hates everybody.

Offline Eagleneer360

• Coal Crawler Customs
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 36
  • Custom Built Not Bought
    • my cars at the car domain
« Reply #78 on: January 07, 2009, 08:15:12 AM »
McVeighs' Truck Springs i put these on my sx/4 i had no problems yet. i want my rear leafs to level out my back of the car sit much higher then the front.
2013 Cruze Eco
1996 Jeep Cherokee Classic

Offline txjeeptx

• shop rag
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 68
  • You've been Outlaw'd
« Reply #79 on: January 07, 2009, 09:42:33 AM »
Called McVeigh's last week - they don't have any more SX/4 springs, which are 4-leaf and springover mount. They only have 1 set of Spirit springs, which are 3-leaf and springunder mount.
'82 Eagle SX/4 "Golden Eagle", '89 YJ 2.5L '93 MPI-converted rock-crawler, '79 Jeep Cherokee Golden Eagle "FSJ", 'o7 F150 Supercrew FX/4 daily driver

Offline Mavericke

• Event/Meet Coordinator
  • Thumbs Up 77
  • Midwest AMC Eagle Sanctuary Game Warden
« Reply #80 on: January 25, 2010, 03:09:01 AM »
OK... so I just read every single reply to this thread and I still have no idea where to go from here. Has anyone figured this out yet?

I intend on buying the front Espo springs (along with the entire front end kit - tie rods, ball joints, etc etc etc), and I was going to buy the rear leaf springs as well... but obviously, not now.

So, I'm guessing with the new springs in the front and the spacer I bought (says 3" lift, but I know better), I'm guessing I'll gain at least 4" in the front.

I do have a lift kit for the rear, which is kind of like a spacer as well... it drops the the leafs lower, but I need to buy new springs and I don't know where to get them. Just like everyone else... I don't want them sagging in a year.

Also, I am totally game for custom modding if someone can point me in the right direction... the Cherokee springs was my first thought, but from the posts - I can't tell if they would/did work or if someone was pretty sure they would. Something about the rear bushing?

Can someone make this simple and say " Go here ----, and buy these springs ----, and slap them on just like this ---". Simplify it for me, wouldja? :P
Its got style... its got class...
It goes the extra mile... and still kicks @ss.
Strength. Intelligence. Beauty.
The AMC Eagle
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
81' AMC Eagle Sx4 (My very first car, The Millennium Eagle)
82' AMC Eagle Sx4 Sport (Custom General Lee Style)
85' AMC Eagle Wagon Sport (My Daily Driver)
00' Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo (The Grocery Getter)
And a plethora of other parts cars, and future restoration projects:
80 Wagon, 82 Spirit, Two 83 SX4s, 84 Wagon, 85 Wagon and more!!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline ericarmstrong

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 52
« Reply #81 on: January 25, 2010, 08:50:28 AM »
The suspension king leafs have done well on my car. The passenger side sprnig buckled, but considering the old one did as well, I'm thinking the problem is not the spring. Not a bad price either.
1982 AMC Eagle SX/4

Offline TLC87Eagle

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #82 on: February 28, 2010, 10:44:56 PM »
OK... so I just read every single reply to this thread and I still have no idea where to go from here. Has anyone figured this out yet?

Yeah, I still don't know where I should buy new leaf springs from either. I'm going to be ordering some pretty soon, so I want to get ones that don't sag.

I've had good luck with ESPO's front end bushings, but I don't want to get springs that will sag worse than the ones I have in less than a year. Since the McVeigh ones have also been reported to flatten, the options I'm considering are;

-The Suspension King
-General Spring
-Eaton
-& still possibly the notorious ESPO ones.

So has anyone else had either good or bad results from any of these?

I'm just wanting to restore my stock ride height, because I can't even see the tops of my rear tires when looking at it from the side. Looking at chart at General Spring, I find it interesting that AMC used lower load rated springs for the heavier Eagles.  ??? But other sources confirm this was the case with Eagles having the 385-435 lb rated springs vs. the Concords with 600+lb rated springs. Could have something to do with having over-mounted vs. under-mounted springs though.  :-\
I wouldn't mind having the 740 lb rated Cherokee springs, but I don't really want to modify anything, even if it is fairly simple.

I will probably get my coils from ESPO still, since there haven't been any bad reports about them. I'm just concerned about getting saggy leaf springs.

1987 Eagle Wagon Limited

Offline jim

• Thumbs Up 102
« Reply #83 on: February 28, 2010, 10:52:07 PM »
Coils from ESPO lifted my 88.
Leaf springs from them were flat when installed.
KC Springs were also flat when installed.
I have helper springs from O'Reilly's.  It takes 2 sets because they work on the spring in front of
or behind the axle, so I put on a set in both places.  I don't like them.
"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people;
08 Impala
01 Yukon 4X4
86 wagon parts car

Offline TLC87Eagle

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #84 on: February 28, 2010, 11:05:38 PM »
Coils from ESPO lifted my 88.
Leaf springs from them were flat when installed.
KC Springs were also flat when installed.
I have helper springs from O'Reilly's.  It takes 2 sets because they work on the spring in front of
or behind the axle, so I put on a set in both places.  I don't like them.

Thanks for the info Jim.
I wouldn't mind having the front a little lifted as long as the rear matched, or at least reasonably close.
I don't like the idea of needing helper springs on brand new springs, so ESPO and KC are probably out of the question.

I may even consider having some made from that place mentioned earlier in the thread, if the price isn't too bad.
I'd have them made to Eagle size specs, but with a 650 lb load rating (if possible).
1987 Eagle Wagon Limited

Offline Venosho

• Sterzinger Automotive
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #85 on: March 01, 2010, 01:00:23 AM »
ok reading this entire thread for the first time I am actually considering going to a spring under setup and getting a hevier and taller arch to compensate for the falttening out issue the taller arch will resist the sag better and heaveir load rating will also resist the sag. but at the cost of the smooth ride.

now there is still one route that it seems that everyone here is not looking at but ths way means a larger kick to the pocket book...

Air suspention???? I know there are kits out there for just about anything and with the upper portion of our front suspention being close to a mustangs front suspention and then use a air helper for the rear but then there is the other issue... where to put all the equipment. under the rear floor would really be the only option and then you would no longer have that hidden storage area...

I saw pimp my ride do an air bag setup on an old wagoneer using the "helper" type of air bag. it seemed to work well.
Click for Phoenix, Arizona Forecast" border="0" height="60" width="468
'75 JEEP J20 401 quadra-track 4wd (The Beast)
'81 AMC Eagle (the Monster)
'82 AMC Eagle Limited (oem HEI upgrade) (Copper Bopper)
"82 AMC Eagle SX-4 (Baby Girl)
'85 Mazda RX-7 GSL-SE (drifter) 13b-T wide body kit project
'92 JEEP Cherokee Sport 4.0 HO (Mom's ride)

Offline truckboy13

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #86 on: March 01, 2010, 01:39:15 AM »
After reading this entire thread I think I'm going to have mine custom made from thicker steel to see if that helps with the sag. mine are beginning to sag but not too bad.
1997 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme SL- Old Daily driver now has a new transmission and will become a daily driver again once I start on my eagle.

1986 Chevy 1 Ton non-dually regular cab-I miss that old truck :(.

1985 AMC Eagle Wagon- My new daily driver that has started an AMC obsession

" It's an AMC thing... normal people wouldn't understand"

Offline jim

• Thumbs Up 102
« Reply #87 on: March 01, 2010, 01:12:43 PM »
Air adjustable shocks were an option.  Some members have them.  Some have added air shocks, both
with (I think) and without the on board compressor.
08 Impala
01 Yukon 4X4
86 wagon parts car

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 477
« Reply #88 on: March 01, 2010, 06:35:17 PM »
Yeah, I have air shocks on the SX/4 and it rides really rough.   I need to get some springs.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #89 on: March 01, 2010, 06:46:21 PM »
I'm not sure if these guys were mentioned in this thread. http://www.stengelbros.com/ I contacted them regarding front leaf springs for my Metro and expressed my concern about new springs flattening in less than a year. He said they didn't have that problem because of the steel they use. However I have no experience with buying springs from them. Just another option.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk