News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 26, 2024, 04:58:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: ESPO leaf springs flattened?  (Read 53497 times)

Offline Shin-X

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 30
ESPO leaf springs flattened?
« on: March 26, 2008, 05:54:11 PM »
Has anyone had a problem with their ESPO springs flattening out?

Ive had mine installed for about 10 months now and noticed the rear of the car was sagging...I have air shocks so I let all the air out and found out that the springs had flattened out enough that they were resting on the shocks, and that without any air in the shocks my leaf springs are COMPLETELY flattened out and that the rear end is very noticably sagging...the rear is probably at least 2 inches or more lower than the front.

I called them about this and the lady I talked to immediately got very defensive like I was personally attacking her...She also claimed she has had no other people ever say there was a problem with their springs like this and that even if there was its impossible for both of them to sag that much and if anything it should only be one of them.

She said she could get them re-arched for me for free but I would have to pay for shipping which is around $100 both ways from me..that didnt work since the Eagle is my only vehicle .

Eventually I said to her that its not like I was looking for free replacements or anything but at least id like a discount on some new ones or something.

She said I was out of warranty so technically she doesnt have to do anything for me, but she agreed to give me a 20 or 25 percent discount and sold them to me for $120/pair plus the shipping. I also got new center bolts so if I have the same problem that at the very least I can take some leafs from the one and add them to the other.

getting them locally are around $700/pair so I figured this was a better choice.

Has anyone else had any issues with their springs? how are everyone elses ESPO springs holding up?

The ESPO ones are now worse than my stock ones were when I changed them out, and they were 25 years old.

Offline Jurjen

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 168
  • Dutch Eagle Preservation Front
Re: ESPO leaf springs flattened?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 06:04:28 PM »
You are not alone:

http://forums.amceaglenest.com/index.php?topic=14714.0

Both Espo and General Spring seem to go flat.

I think I will keep the Monroe Airmax shocks in untill this is solved.
"sparrows fly in flocks, eagles fly alone"

Eagle Wagon Limited 1983, Citroen C-Crosser 2010, Triumph Bonneville 1969, Yamaha XJR1300 1999, Yamaha TX750 1973

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf0jpiW6tRI

Click for Leeuwarden, Netherlands Forecast" height="90" width="160

Offline rmedon

• Thumbs Up 33
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 06:07:37 PM »
I believe my coils are ESPO and they've held up well.  I didn't replace the rear, just added a spring to get the leaves up to par, so I can't speak for the leaves.
Rich Medon

1983 AMC Eagle 4d sedan
1976 Ford Mustang Cobra II
2005 Ford F150
1999 HD Electraglide Ultra Classic
1999 Buell Thunderbolt
2007 HD Patriot Edition Superglide Custom

Help the Shelter Pets, click often at www.theanimalrescuesite.com

Offline Shin-X

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 30
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 06:31:55 PM »
I have the coil springs and they are still great.

I am going to end up combining my leaf springs together probably.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 06:54:16 PM by Shin-X »

Offline MetalBird

• Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
  • Up The Irons!!! \m/
    • Metal Bird Media Productions
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 07:33:04 PM »
I got the ESPO rear leafs and can say I am not so impressed. 
They have been on 6 months.  After swapping them in it did bring the rear up almost 3", but they are flat across now and I do have the air shocks holding it with about 50psi.
I suspect I will be doing a add-a-leaf or helper springs soon.
A local shop said they had a pair of leafs that would fit but wanted almost twice as much.  I made the economical choice at the time but in the long run may be getting what I pay for...
I am going to the local shop next time I want them.

As far as re-arching I wouldnt give them back to ESPO.  From what I understand they do it the "wrong way" and will be back to the sag in no time, as per this link...
http://www.eatonsprings.com/rearching.htm

1982 AMC Eagle Kammback
1986 AMC Eagle Sedan

Offline MetalBird

• Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
  • Up The Irons!!! \m/
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2008, 07:34:06 PM »
Jim should probably be chiming in here soon...
But I guess I am not sure if his leafs were from them.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 07:37:54 PM by MetalBird »
1982 AMC Eagle Kammback
1986 AMC Eagle Sedan

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 477
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2008, 07:55:35 PM »
Perhaps everyone who has gotten springs from them recently and they have flattened out should give them a call and let them know.  Perhaps they will rethink their statements.  They may think that Eagle folks are so few that we do not communicate with each other.  That is what is nice about automotive forums like this.  It does not take long for information good and not so good to ripple thru the community.  Some vendors do watch the some forums to get a heads up on any dissatisfaction.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline Shin-X

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 30
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2008, 10:20:26 PM »
What I thought was weird that she said no one had called in about them flattening.

Their springs come with a one year warranty and I swear I had seen people complain on here, so its weird that no one else on here would have called about it.

Offline Route 66 Rambler

• American Muscle Conspiracy #000001
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 47
  • Time Travel in the Sonoran Desert
    • Route 66 Rambler AMC
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2008, 11:06:29 PM »
If anybody would like to start putting pressure on either this company or GEICO, contact me.  If there are more than a couple of complaints, I'll put a write-up on my blog to point up the problem, and warn others about a shady company.  That is an audience of thousands of car folks, and obviously they all know other car folks.  So if they think they can just ignore something and it will go away, they will probably be surprised.
mike
Nashin' and Thrashin'
1966 Rambler American 343 Convertible
1981 Eagle Kammback- Kactus Kammster

Offline Shin-X

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 30
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2008, 11:50:15 PM »
Yes, I would like to.

Originally they said they would do nothing for me and that theres nothing wrong with their springs.

I told them that there is a large Eagle fan club on the net, as well as other AMC related ones and that I will make sure to let all of them know of my problems there...that many have them have bought springs from them in the past for all sorts of AMC's.

She said it didnt matter because everyone here will tell me that theyve never had any problems with their springs and that I would be the only one with a complaint against the company. She said also that a couple AMC guys wouldnt be enough to have any negative effect on their business.

Id like to show them that they are wrong.

Offline havasuhd

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2008, 02:21:27 AM »
SOOOO.... I definately will not buy those springs now!!!  You lost them one customer at least but who and where is a good place to get springs that people have had good luck with???

Offline bigdog56e

• Thumbs Up 65
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2008, 09:10:14 AM »
  Has anyone used Eaton springs, I contacted them about coil springs for the front and was quoted a tad over 100.00 including shipping, and I think they have leaf springs available.
                                                                                                  Eddie

Offline MetalBird

• Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
  • Up The Irons!!! \m/
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2008, 09:22:34 AM »
I will certainly throw my name in to put pressure on them or sign a petition or whatever.

I wouldnt settle to have ESPO re-arch or over bend them, due to what I posted earlier.  It would be over $500 to re-arch them the proper way according to Eaton.  I can guarantee that ESPO isnt going to be doing that for free.  I will send them to Eaton to re-arch and Eaton can send ESPO the bill.

Dont think I still have the receipt, but I could find the CC payment to them.
1982 AMC Eagle Kammback
1986 AMC Eagle Sedan

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 477
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2008, 11:11:31 AM »
Just wondering.  Does ESPO know these are over axle mounted???  That may make difference on the spring material/production method???
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline MetalBird

• Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
  • Up The Irons!!! \m/
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2008, 11:21:28 AM »
Also, I want to know from those that got the leafs... do you think your leaf springs from them were New?

Do they sell New or Reconditioned leafs?
The ones I got seemed to me to be old and freshly painted.  I didnt and dont know any better and just took them as is.  But to me seemed shady, the paint was chipped and flaking in spots and underneath the metal was rusty/pitted.  Makes me wonder now if they were just old used ones that they cold bend re-arched and painted and sold to me.  Now 6 months later they are back to their old used flattened condition?
Just some concern on my part.
1982 AMC Eagle Kammback
1986 AMC Eagle Sedan

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk