News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• July 03, 2024, 05:22:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Whuntmore's Eagle Project - Flicker (Picture heavy!)  (Read 135268 times)

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • If a hammer won't fix it, it's probably electrical
Re: Whuntmore's Eagle Project - Flicker (Picture heavy!)
« Reply #135 on: April 25, 2011, 04:34:07 PM »
Ok, so I haven't updated this in a bit... but I finally got the intermitted wipers to work (thanks for the help!) and I put everything else back together.

Here's all the dash back in (Minus a radio)

The back is all back together

So now that we are finally getting some warmer weather (thank God!!) I can get to work to re-wire my back locks (electric all around) as the wires were cracked badly.  I'll get those done, then a radio wired in, and I'll probably get a CB radio put in sometime in the future.

I'm still having starting issues with that bloody carb.  Maybe I'll upgrade it to something better, and rebuilt by someone who knows what they are doing.

68AMXGOPAC

« Reply #136 on: April 25, 2011, 06:24:00 PM »
Hey looks great !! Nice work. Question: What is the second toggle switch for to the right of the "non=existint radio" ?? I am guessing one is the rear defroster , like mine has , but the other ???

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
« Reply #137 on: April 25, 2011, 06:35:46 PM »
The furtherest right switch?  That the rear wiper.

The one closer to the radio hole is the defogger, and the other one (right of that switch) is the back wiper.  That's the factory spot where it goes, and not a mod I did.

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
« Reply #138 on: May 08, 2011, 11:38:33 PM »
So of course this is ongoing...

The car died on the side of the road on May the 7th, and I had to leave it overnight before we could rescue it.  No harm came to her.

I'm getting no spark whatsoever.  Starter block, spark Plugs, wires, dist. cap... and now the ignition module.

The bloody car still won't get any spark here.  I've almost replaced everything that can cause/fail spark.

I think (Please correct me If I've missed anything or I'm wrong here) but the only two things I've got left to swap out here is the coil, and the module inside the dist.  (can that be changed out?)

Now my car had the Distributor upgraded already (I've got the ford Dist. on it) so I don't know what I would have to fix on it.

When I went to the parts counter, Steve (he is one of our AMC Members here) said that I had a '77-81 dist.  He said it's the same number for all those Ford I6 300 cid engines.

Now is there anything to fix/change out on the inside of the Dist?

Offline shaggimo

• Thumbs Up 90
  • When "6" just won't do.......
« Reply #139 on: May 09, 2011, 09:19:15 AM »
There is a piece in the distributor, I'd call it the pick up coil, but some may call it the pick up pole piece assembly. Check condition of the wires first, and also check the reluctor wheel.
88 xj cherokee- ((4)(4))2
81 malibu 4dr- Identity Crisis
81 SX4- gf's
84 Eagle 4dr sedan- it followed me home... ::)
http://www.cardomain.com/id/Oldsmoletic
CNY

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
« Reply #140 on: May 09, 2011, 09:23:01 AM »
besides bad wires/connection, I wouldn't know what I was looking for...  On the reluctor wheel  (that thing that passes by those magnets, contacts, whatever they are, that what you mean?

What should I be looking for?  Sorry Shag, I haven't got a clue...

Offline shaggimo

• Thumbs Up 90
  • When "6" just won't do.......
« Reply #141 on: May 09, 2011, 10:59:36 AM »
No prob, it is this thing right here..

It is what's under the rotor.
Just check for burn spots or corrosion on the reluctor wheel.
88 xj cherokee- ((4)(4))2
81 malibu 4dr- Identity Crisis
81 SX4- gf's
84 Eagle 4dr sedan- it followed me home... ::)
http://www.cardomain.com/id/Oldsmoletic
CNY

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
« Reply #142 on: May 09, 2011, 11:03:29 AM »
Ok, now is there anyway to fix/clean it, or just buy a new one?  Since I've got the ford distributor and cap/rotor, I take it I'll just need the ford replacement?

Thanks for the help Shagg!

Offline Sunny

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 29
« Reply #143 on: May 09, 2011, 12:02:17 PM »
I'm going to send you a PM. I just dealt with some spark issues on my car.

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
« Reply #144 on: May 09, 2011, 04:10:54 PM »
Thank you for the help Sonny, I egged ya for the writeup!  (I egg'd both you and Shaggimo)

I got a coil, since it was only $40, I got the yellow 8140.  says it's 42,000 volts.  That should work.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 04:13:34 PM by Whuntmore »

Offline GRONK

• The carburetor dude
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 55
    • GRONK Performance
« Reply #145 on: May 09, 2011, 04:25:36 PM »
Make sure you have the LARGE adapter and cap/rotor combo.  Don't add 40K volts tot he stock cap or you will have wicked crossfire problems.  Do you or don't you have the TFI swap?  Just want to be clear, if so, the FOMOCO TFI coil is surperior to this pot coil.  email me if you need the technical write up.  If you were troublshooting ignition probs and had to replace the ICM anyway, I might have dropped in the HEI for about $100.  1 wire and simple.
"Bucket" 1983 Limited Wagon
"Tootie" 1984 Wagon
Owner - GRONK Performance

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
« Reply #146 on: May 09, 2011, 04:33:52 PM »
I have the large dist. cap.  It was converted before I got the car.  It's the upgraded one for the ford I6 300 cid.

what does HEI stand for?  that's the ignition block shown here, right?

Offline tougeagle

• Horses, rodeos, diesel trucks and AMC Eagles
  • Thumbs Up 75
  • There are many like it, but this one is mine
« Reply #147 on: May 09, 2011, 05:21:01 PM »
I have the large dist. cap.  It was converted before I got the car.  It's the upgraded one for the ford I6 300 cid.

what does HEI stand for?  that's the ignition block shown here, right?

High Energy Ignition... Chevy used HEI on their V8s in the 80s on some of their cars. The 'bay has several 50-65k volt units for sale, entire distributor assembly.
Upcoming 1982 Wagon "The Silver Bullet"
Goals: 550hp/600tq 4.5L EFI Turbo Stroker, Tremec 6 speed manual
2007 Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins 6 speed 600+hp/1400+tq fully deleted
1998 Honda Civic "the hoopdy"

What's your 'sona?

A dream car does not have to be beautiful in the eyes of others, it's not theirs.

Offline Sunny

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 29
« Reply #148 on: May 10, 2011, 12:19:04 AM »
A lot of ebay distributors dont put out anywhere near the voltage they claim, or don't last very long.
A lot of the companys are sending out their electronics to China these days... Ebay 'no name' electronics rarely hold up in my experience.
They tend to have very low quality standards.

I just picked up a new MSD distributor yesterday, and that, even compared to the Taylor HEI I had before that, seem's a LOT more solidly built...although it should be for the price.

My Taylor lasted about 8 months before the module completely shorted out and left burn/melt marks everywhere.. so I had an old stock GM one I had laying around in.. and the springs inside were seized, so I just picked up a new one.

Offline tougeagle

• Horses, rodeos, diesel trucks and AMC Eagles
  • Thumbs Up 75
  • There are many like it, but this one is mine
« Reply #149 on: May 10, 2011, 03:26:08 AM »
A lot of ebay distributors dont put out anywhere near the voltage they claim, or don't last very long.
A lot of the companys are sending out their electronics to China these days... Ebay 'no name' electronics rarely hold up in my experience.
They tend to have very low quality standards.

I just picked up a new MSD distributor yesterday, and that, even compared to the Taylor HEI I had before that, seem's a LOT more solidly built...although it should be for the price.

My Taylor lasted about 8 months before the module completely shorted out and left burn/melt marks everywhere.. so I had an old stock GM one I had laying around in.. and the springs inside were seized, so I just picked up a new one.

yeah, that is true. The only problem with MSD is $$$$$ but at the same time, you get what you pay for.
Upcoming 1982 Wagon "The Silver Bullet"
Goals: 550hp/600tq 4.5L EFI Turbo Stroker, Tremec 6 speed manual
2007 Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins 6 speed 600+hp/1400+tq fully deleted
1998 Honda Civic "the hoopdy"

What's your 'sona?

A dream car does not have to be beautiful in the eyes of others, it's not theirs.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk