News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 17, 2024, 12:53:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Steering gear info (again)  (Read 7911 times)

Offline TEagle85

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 5
Steering gear info (again)
« on: January 16, 2015, 11:05:22 PM »
I've read some posts on the cherokee swap.

I know the cherokee steering gear is a direct fit with improved gearing but when I look up parts on some suppliers they show the same part and part number for the Eagle and the same for the Cherokee (This is on the Autozone site).

I looked on rockauto and was wondering what the upgrade would be? is it the gearing itself or is it the variable ratio that make the difference?
There are some options on RockAuto under the Eagle tab that you can choose either a gear box with or without variable ratio. I understand what variable ratio is but would that make it equivalent to the cherokee gearbox? Or do I just not worry about it and order a gear box under a "96 Jeep Cherokee" and trust the difference?

I plan to order from RockAuto instead of Autozone so any rockauto part numbers would be rad. Trying to keep it below $150 and avoid the cheapest option.   

btw I have a '85 Eagle sedan with a 4.2. It came with AC but I deleted it. 

Sorry if this post is redundant. 

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
Re: Steering gear info (again)
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2015, 09:18:29 AM »
The Cherokee is the non variable with a 16:1 ratio. The Grand Cherokee is 12.7:1 which is considered a quick ratio box and is used by many GM muscle car guys. I've got the Grand Cherokee in my wagon and like it a lot.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline TEagle85

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2015, 09:49:58 AM »
I guess maybe its just Autozone selling :censored: parts or something. Thats whats confusing me. When I went in they pulled the exact and only steering gear they had for all three. #7525 for the Eagle/Cherokee/Grand Cherokee. Just convenient because its close and in stock. Ill have to check out NAPA if Im in a hurry.
 My progress is hinging on getting this gear box and rag joint. Anyway Ill have some photos up soon on my progress. At this point Ive replaced almost everything from the firewall forward regarding the chassis. 

Offline TEagle85

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2015, 10:07:08 AM »
Looks like Napa has the same part numbers for both the cherokee and the grand cherokee... but different for the Eagle so I consider that to be some headway.
Guess Ill just go with Napa and wether its the 16:1 ratio or the 12.7:1  Ill consider it a upgrade from the stock eagle ratio.
Ill ask for a 1996 Jeep Grand cherokee.

Kind of a grab bag. Dont know what ratio I'll get. Kind of exciting haha.

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2015, 06:32:01 PM »
It's ridiculous nowadays the way they parts on some of the sites. You really have to know what you need if you want to get the right part. I don't even bother going to the parts store and asking them to look it up. I show up with a part number. As far as the steering boxes go, the rebuilders realize that they bolt in to either Jeep and don't care if you get the right ratio.

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2015, 09:20:33 PM »
I'm putting a Grand Cherokee box in my Eagle wagon soon (trying to get over the flu/norovirus right now) I need to change the pitman arm while I'm at it.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2015, 08:06:51 AM »
I have an XJ steering box in my Eagle (1995 XJ) and I love it. A really good box and match for the Eagle.

I imagine what you're seeing on these sites is a box with similar to XJ/GC ratios, but since they fit them all they are deemed "universal". Probably geared to GC standards.

I've read that the Durango is a sweet steering box as well.

Offline runs.like

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 7
  • long trips are not yet advised.
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2015, 09:32:07 PM »
gonna do this ASAP, I knew I needed a pitman arm and tie rod end - and then today found a "nice" puddle of power steering fluid in the driveway, Its definitely coming from the gear box. 
Read another thread saying it's a good time to do the rag joint- is this Eagle specific or can i use the one from the donor ZJ??

1970 Mercedes 250
1988 Eagle Wagon
1989 Chevy C1500

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2015, 10:13:22 PM »
is this Eagle specific or can i use the one from the donor ZJ??
Rag joint? If  so, the XJ's and ZJ's don't use a rag joint.

Offline runs.like

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 7
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2015, 10:38:40 PM »
is this Eagle specific or can i use the one from the donor ZJ??
Rag joint? If  so, the XJ's and ZJ's don't use a rag joint.

well there's my answer... thanks eaglefreek. I haven't even got the donor yet but my good friend has a parts 93 Grand Cherokee that is soon to be mine for free.  I read in some post that if replacing steering gear and pitman arm it was a good time to do rag joint and figured that if it was the same steering gear that maybe it had the same rag joint... WRONG.... Guess I'l buy one if needed.
1970 Mercedes 250
1988 Eagle Wagon
1989 Chevy C1500

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2015, 11:25:13 AM »
I'm thinking about a rag joint delete. They make a double universal ujoint style replacement but I haven't measured yet.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline runs.like

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 7
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2015, 09:36:22 AM »
Swapped in a cherokee gear box yesterday.  Took longer than i thought it would (3hrs) but got it done and back on the road.  Also did a pitman arm and driver side tie rod.  The steering is quite different now - far tighter, I haven't driven it enough to comment on if I like it or not.

Note: You're probably replacing the pitman any way you don't need pull it from the gear box, as per the TSM.  I realized this after prepping to cut  the arm off when I broke my pitman arm puller.
1970 Mercedes 250
1988 Eagle Wagon
1989 Chevy C1500

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2015, 01:51:57 PM »
I hope to be doing the Grand Cherokee box in my wagon tomorrow or sunday (pouring concrete saturday or should I say supervising it)

Offline amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2015, 12:23:07 AM »
hi, sorry, but to go back to the original question, What IS the part # for the 12.7:1  93-96 Grand Cherokee steering box? from RockAuto, Napa or any other supplier. The catalog descriptions are very generic and really tell you nothing. thanks, gz

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2015, 02:10:48 AM »
It's the one with variable steering.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk