News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 17, 2024, 02:17:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Steering gear info (again)  (Read 7912 times)

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
Re: Steering gear info (again)
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2015, 11:11:25 AM »
I've heard the rebuilt boxes generally use whatever gears they have around, which would not be surprising. I put a Lares gear box in my SX/4 (for a Cherokee, but same P/N for Eagle) and it's great. To me it feels similar to before, but without the slop of the old worn box. Not as much steering wheel attention needed on the highway either.
1982 AMC Eagle SX/4 (Work In Progress)

Photobucket Album: http://s1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff479/Baskinator/

Offline amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
Re: Steering gear info (again)
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2015, 01:44:47 AM »
Hi, I just got the "variable" ratio rebuilt box from Advance auto, haven't driven the car much yet, so don't know how good it is. However, it is GM badged, unlike my original 84 AMC box, which was AMC badged. So...don't know where it's from, but it bolted right up. gz

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk