News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 16, 2024, 01:42:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: That unruly glovebox door  (Read 7167 times)

Offline MudPuppy

• Define Normal?
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 39
  • If it can happen, it will happen to me.
That unruly glovebox door
« on: December 27, 2013, 09:35:05 PM »
I feel that I have asked this before (maybe on another unmentionable site or something) or maybe I have thought about it so much & so often that I only "think" that I have brought it up before.... who knows.
But anyways, I have (& have seen numerous others that have) the dreaded & unsightly glovebox door misalignment/sag and would love to fix it.
Is there a fix for this or is it something that can only be fixed by buying another (straight) glovebox door?
I know this is an issue with some and it will only become more commonplace as the years go by and grow on our Eagles.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 09:56:40 PM by MudPuppy »
Lurker & unintentional thread killer.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called Cynicism by those who have not got it.
I am not now at my least, rather my most; not reduced, rather at my most complete.
Yes, I stand before you now, naked, unhidden, uncamouflaged and unafraid.
As pure and true as a human being is able to be.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 477
Re: That unruly glovebox door
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2013, 10:00:55 PM »
Yours is really out of kilter.  Mine only a little bit.  Have you tried any adjustments?  Or, is it heat warped?
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline MudPuppy

• Define Normal?
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 39
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2013, 10:04:19 PM »
I didn't see anywhere to really try adjusting since a lot of it is the accordion type hinge. Unless there is something that I overlooked.
It might be heat warped, not really sure since I don't know some of its history.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called Cynicism by those who have not got it.
I am not now at my least, rather my most; not reduced, rather at my most complete.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 477
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2013, 10:06:49 PM »
Really not much adjustment, just the striker and the hinge (not much).  Looks like it was attacked by heat.

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;

Offline MudPuppy

• Define Normal?
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 39
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2013, 10:11:08 PM »
That sounds like my luck. Another thing to add to the list of stuff once I can afford things again lol.
It still opens and shuts fine, guess I can live with it for awhile. Afraid to drive it anyways until I do something about the rearend.
Was just hoping it was something that I could fix without investing in it for now.

Thanks Doug  :)

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 477
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2013, 10:18:43 PM »
At least AMC used that door on other models.  You might be able to salvage the "wood" trim if needed.  I wonder if you took it off and put some weight on it, in a hot environment that it might straighten itself out????

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;

Offline Amc1320

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 48
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2013, 10:20:23 PM »
I think that's still within standard AMC tolerances lol

I'll try to grab the one at the pick and pull I saw the other day, it looks like yours, the non woodgrain type, if its fairly straight ill let you know
Rob c
84 Eagle Limited Wagon (driven everyday)
81 Eagle Kammback
81 Spirit (undergoing surgery)
83 Spirit (parts car giving it all to keep the rest going)
Manchester, TN

Offline MudPuppy

• Define Normal?
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 39
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2013, 10:30:20 PM »
At least AMC used that door on other models.  You might be able to salvage the "wood" trim if needed.  I wonder if you took it off and put some weight on it, in a hot environment that it might straighten itself out????

Wish I would've thought about that last summer, as hot as it was here I could've probably laid it out in the sun with some weight on it and tried that lol.
But the Eagle wasn't in my radar at all due to the Loser & it's constant issues. So the poor Eagle got sidelined :/

I think that's still within standard AMC tolerances lol

I'll try to grab the one at the pick and pull I saw the other day, it looks like yours, the non woodgrain type, if its fairly straight ill let you know

:rotfl: Yeah, this definitely proves AMC tolerances. Bends but doesn't break and still functions as it should.
And thank you

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 477
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2013, 10:49:35 PM »
I hope Loser is out of your life and you can move on.

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2013, 10:30:07 AM »
I thought someone had a fix for this...did you try doing a search on the subject?
1983 AMC Eagle SX/4 - Penny

Offline MudPuppy

• Define Normal?
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 39
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2013, 03:30:17 PM »
I hope Loser is out of your life and you can move on.
I wish it was out of my life, but after spending $2k on it and it still needs another $200 that I am having to put off for a bit I just can't afford anything else at the moment. Luckily the $200 part it needs now (case plug) isn't a huge leak so I just keep an eye on my oil levels & it isn't sending my computer & lights into a frenzy. Each time I keep hoping that this is it , this is all it needs and everything will be fine from here on out. Still need tires for the thing too, which I was going to buy before winter then all of this happened.

I thought someone had a fix for this...did you try doing a search on the subject?

Yeah, did a search thinking that either I had said something about it before or surely someone else had but nothing regarding this.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 03:32:06 PM by MudPuppy »

Offline Mernsy

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 13
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2013, 06:54:12 PM »

Offline MudPuppy

• Define Normal?
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 39
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2013, 07:03:30 PM »
My memory amazes me upon occasion!!

Reply #39.

http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=36546.msg295133#msg295133

:hello2: Thank you Mernsy. Definitely something I can try if it isn't warped too bad.

Posting that snippet here as well since it might make it a little easier to find in the future.

Also, my glovebox seems to be sitting a little crooked when it is closed. Anyone else have this problem...and have a remedy for me?

As Jim said, there are three nuts on the bottom of the door that hold it in place.  There may be a slight amount of adjustment there if you loosen the nuts.  Also, on some glove box doors (but not all) the plastic covering on the inside face of the door has slots in it and you can loosen the screws holding the two halves together and make slight changes to the relation of the door front to the hinge.  On my car it didn't have these slots but I removed the inside plastic cover and slotted the holes with a drill, you have to be careful because the drill wants to go sideways rather than straight ahead or back. To remove the back cover you have to remove the lock cylinder so that might be a problem (I couldn't figure out how to do it so I took it to a locksmith). I played with my glove box door for two hours and got it a little better but on mine its apparent the dash shell and/or upper glove box case was made crooked or has warped and I was unable to get everything to line up nicely.  Yours looks a lot closer initially than mine was.

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2013, 07:07:20 PM »
My memory was telling me that it was Jim who had the remedy! And looky there, I was the one who posted the original issue in that quote! haha. Looks like Priya helped out with additional info. Good good!
1983 AMC Eagle SX/4 - Penny

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 477
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2013, 08:01:53 PM »
Jim is still with us and helping us out.

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk