News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 15, 2024, 09:09:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Need help getting her started! Updated 4/10  (Read 11240 times)

Offline NoCoEagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
Need help getting her started! Updated 4/10
« on: March 28, 2012, 03:19:33 PM »
Recently finished a 4.0 head swap, trying to see if the thing will run. Don't quite have timing dialed in (didn't mark distributor) but it's to the point that the car will fire up if I give it enough gas. Problem is, it seems like as soon as it starts it wants to rev to high heck and I have to shut it down. The throttle linkage assembly isn't hooked up, so I'm just working off the carb. What could cause the car to rev high even without any throttle?

UPDATE: So I tore down the engine again, reassembled, checked and rechecked plug wiring, vacuum ports, etc. Only things not hooked up are: Throttle linkage/kickdown/whatever that other cable is that goes to the passenger side of the engine compartment. Shouldn't be an issue to get it running, right?

So, the issue this time is, I cranked for a while, gave it some gas, cranked, and got a decent sized detonation out of the carb. Stopped there, waiting for my battery to charge back up, but I'm unsure what this could be now. The reason I decided to swap the head (in addition to the power gain) is because I got a loud popping out of the carb with the 258 head, which was thought to be a stuck valve. But, with the 258 head, the engine would at least run.

Any ideas? I don't wanna hurt this engine by cranking and cranking when something could be wrong.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 02:33:55 AM by NoCoEagle »

Offline doc65

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • Ogden, UT
Re: Need help getting her started!
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 03:25:45 PM »
stuck on fast idle cam, major vac leak...

Offline GRONK

• The carburetor dude
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 55
    • GRONK Performance
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 03:30:57 PM »
Major vacuum leak or the lack of a return spring on the throttle shaft/carb.
"Bucket" 1983 Limited Wagon
"Tootie" 1984 Wagon
Owner - GRONK Performance

Offline GRONK

• The carburetor dude
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 55
    • GRONK Performance
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 03:31:55 PM »
Find TDC and give it a 1/2" advance form there for the initial start.  Make sure your plug wires are in order.
"Bucket" 1983 Limited Wagon
"Tootie" 1984 Wagon
Owner - GRONK Performance

Offline NoCoEagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 03:38:20 PM »
Might as well just do it right, how do you set initial timing if you're installing a new distributor (since it wouldn't have been marked)? Anyone got time to walk me through that process so that I know which point on the distributor represents the #1 cylinder?

Also remembered I didn't put my EGR valve on (or block it somehow). That'd be a major vacuum leak, right?

Offline doc65

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • Ogden, UT
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2012, 05:03:55 PM »
If you just plain have NO EGR valve OR block off plate??? Yeah, I'd call taht a major vac leak, not even sure it would run at all in that configuration...

Offline NoCoEagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2012, 05:37:01 PM »
Not sure how to block it off, I suppose putting the valve on and plugging it would work (maybe?) but I'm not sure how I'm going to plug the hole for the exhaust on the bottom of the intake. Any ideas?

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2012, 05:39:55 PM »
I cemented a pipe thread plug into one. incorrect thread but close. it works.

Manitowoc WI

Offline ammachine390

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 42
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2012, 06:20:46 PM »
Yeah, I'd call taht a major vac leak, not even sure it would run at all in that configuration...

Mine did, started and instantly revved up to about 2300 rpm.
Dan
1981 AMC Concord DL 258 Auto

Click for Villa_Park, IL Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline NoCoEagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2012, 06:37:31 PM »
Yeah, it'll definitely run, and like ammachine390 said, rev up pretty high instantly.

Offline NoCoEagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2012, 07:18:52 PM »
EGR valve is installed, capping off the nipple should be enough, right? Then blocking off the exhaust part of it should provide a complete seal, unless I'm missing something. And every vacuum port coming off the intake should be either used or capped, correct?

Offline doc65

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • Ogden, UT
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2012, 07:53:37 PM »
Capping the nipple shouldn't even be necessary, that nipple feeds a vacume diaphragm that opens the EGR, so no vac on nipple, no open EGR...

Offline NoCoEagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2012, 04:06:42 PM »
Still haven't figured it out. Manifold vac lines are capped, carb lines are capped (except to vac advance), EGR valve is installed, capped, and exhaust portion is blocked. PCV feeds to back of carb, carb feeds to booster. Car will start if I flood it with gas, and will run if I keep feeding it too much gas. Checked my spark plug wires, all are good, even tried moving them clockwise just in case. Turning the distributor seems to have no effect on how it sounds when cranking, haven't tried turning the dizzy with the car running because it takes way too much gas to keep it running and I figure there has to be a better way.

So close, yet so far away.  :help:

Offline JayRamb

• ELLA THE EAGLE & EDWIN THE EAGLE
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • AMC passion for over 32 years. BIG advocate!
    • UPDATED!!  1967 Rambler Rebel weebly website
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2012, 09:34:41 PM »
Have your ICM tested or replaced.
Jayson H.
Best HWY Mileage of 87 Eagle:  26.2 MPG

Believer in AMSOIL & Seafoam
1987 Garnet Red Eagle Wagon: 70,500 miles
1967 Rambler Rebel 4 Door 290 V8 (original family car) Marina Aqua 142K miles
1985 Eagle Wagon in Autumn Brown 74,800 miles as my daily driver
SOLD 1984 Black Eagle Limited w/Tach & gauge cluster: 245,100 miles SOLD

Offline NoCoEagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2012, 09:40:14 PM »
It's been converted to HEI and the emissions equipment has been removed.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk