News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 15, 2024, 08:37:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Need help getting her started! Updated 4/10  (Read 11239 times)

Offline NoCoEagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
Re: Need help getting her started! Updated 4/10
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2012, 05:35:16 PM »
Yes, mine isn't very pretty, but I did cut out a half circle from the intake to clear that stud. Sitting right on top just like yours, and the edge of the top of the intake (where the runners are) doesn't extend past the cylinder head surface.

Turns out I'm an idiot, and just got a nice reminder from 3 years ago or so. When working on the Javelin, I had installed a new Demon carb and distributor. Despite me checking over and over, and thinking my plug wires/distributor were right, I was 180 degrees out. Carb would backfire and light on fire when I tried to start the car. No fire on this carb, but same situation... and it turns out I'm 180 degrees out again. Not sure how I botched that when installing the dizzy with the engine at TDC, but whatever... hopefully this works. Will update soon.

Offline NoCoEagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2012, 12:49:19 AM »
It still won't start.. ha. What a tease.  :banghead:

Offline NoCoEagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2012, 02:38:38 AM »
I have a rough idea of what I'm doing, at best. I'm 19 years old and teach myself by logging onto forums and seeing what other people are doing to fix things. I redid the wiring today, when #1 is at CTDC the rotor is pointing at the #1 plug terminal and I've wired it clockwise from there 153624. It stopped backfiring but won't start up, I wasn't able to try for too terribly long till my battery went and I had to charge it up.

I'd certainly be open to receiving help, although I'm pretty out of the way and the time issue makes it tough. I live in Drake up on Storm Mountain between Loveland and Estes Park. I know there's a few nesters down near CO Springs, not sure of any out this way.

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2012, 09:18:57 AM »
Sorry you're having so much trouble. I wish I was in town, I would swing by.

although I'm pretty out of the way and the time issue makes it tough. I live in Drake up on Storm Mountain between Loveland and Estes Park.

Man, that night I went to pick up that crank from you, I was not expecting that terrain on the way to your place. I was in company truck and thankfully it was 4wd with some aggressive tires, otherwise I would have gotten stuck in the snow when I took that wrong turn.  ;D
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline NoCoEagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2012, 11:42:05 AM »
I'm glad it was well equipped! I hope that crank was worth the trouble. Especially in the winter, that road surprises people!

Offline GRONK

• The carburetor dude
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 55
    • GRONK Performance
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2012, 12:10:06 PM »
The easiest way for me to get firing order right is 1-1, then going counter clockwise skiping every other terminal.  1 skip, 2 skip, 3.  Then, one position counter clockwise from 1 is 4 (now going clockwise) 5, 6.

If you are TDC, give it a hefty advance and see if it starts.
"Bucket" 1983 Limited Wagon
"Tootie" 1984 Wagon
Owner - GRONK Performance

Offline NoCoEagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2012, 12:45:10 PM »
Still no luck, unfortunately. I'm getting fuel, I have no idea what is incorrect.

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2012, 11:54:43 AM »
Make sure the wires are going in the right direction! Also, can you do a compression test? If teh valves are too tight, compression will be down.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk