News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• September 21, 2024, 05:40:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1984 Eagle Wagon Limited  (Read 27903 times)

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
Re: 1984 Eagle Wagon Limited
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2013, 08:59:59 AM »
Are you using springs from Comp Cams? I'd be wary, aftermarket 258/4.0L cams are know to wipe out lopes in less than 10k miles with too much spring pressure. I've got a Comp Cams camshaft and used stock replacement springs and have had zero issues in 25k miles.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline nolang

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2013, 09:23:02 AM »
Crane springs, summit shows the springs i have are 204 lbs/in and the comp springs suggested for the comp cam that's pretty close to the cam i have are 415 lbs/in

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2013, 02:00:46 AM »
Too bad you couldn't access a 4.0L for parts. I'd slap on the timing cover and cam bolt (built in cam button)
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline kalve

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2013, 07:50:41 PM »
sounds like fun keep us posted that is my plan for this year also is have the engine rebuilt it currently has 181K on it. How many miles did your engine have on it before you started the tear down?
64 T bird landau
70 Cougar Convertible Hurst 4 speed
74 F250 Crewcab shortbed
85 Eagle Wagon 4wd

Offline nolang

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2013, 08:39:54 PM »
I think it has about 126k miles

Offline nolang

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2013, 12:40:59 AM »
As it turns out, i'm using the stock springs after all, the retainers i bought made the installed height of the new springs 1.625 which is a bit short

Got all the major stuff done, just need to put in the radiator, fan, valve cover then connect random hoses and it should be ready to fire up  ;D

Offline nolang

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2013, 01:40:54 AM »
Got it running today, needs some carb adjustment but otherwise it seems to run good

Does anyone know if the AMC V8 5/16 pedestal mount rocker arms are interchangeable with the straight six? Seems like the closest thing i can find for roller rockers are harland sharp and they're specified for the 4.0 and studs, not to mention $100 more than some of the rocker arms for the V8s

Offline nolang

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2013, 11:30:41 PM »
I was changing the jets monday night and somehow the needle completely vanished so hopefully the new needle and seat i ordered will be here tomorrow

Also figured i might as well use the new springs so i ordered what SHOULD be the right height of retainer, installed height with the wrong retainers was 1.625 and they were supposed to add .045, so i found some that are supposed to take away .030, should put me right at 1.700 which is the suggested height for the cam

Offline nolang

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2013, 10:35:39 PM »
Well back to the drawing board, apparently there was coil bind on the stock springs which wore pockets into at least one of the lifters, probably more and probably messed up the camshaft too

Also for what it's worth, my interpretation on the heights of those new retainers was wrong

« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 10:37:17 PM by nolang »

Offline nolang

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2013, 11:35:45 PM »
Ordered the crower baja beast and one of crowers spring/lifters/retainers sets, hopefully everything will install at the right heights and i won't have any more issues  :'(

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2013, 08:49:56 PM »
Nice! That's the cam I wanted for my stroker.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline nolang

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2013, 09:42:28 PM »
Pulled the cam out today, as long as i get the new valves, rocker arms, and gaskets tomorrow i should be able to start reassembling it

I think the only thing that won't be new in the valve train will be the locks, which only have those few days that the old new cam was being used for on them

Offline nolang

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2013, 03:34:06 PM »
One of the lobes on the old cam

One of the old lifters, some were worse, some looked usable still if this were a post-apocalyptic world where lifters were hard to come by but since it's not, i won't use them  :rotfl:

Head is put back together

New one piece pushrods, chromoly and .020" thicker wall if i remember right, new on top, old on bottom

New cam and lifters

Also the new springs went on at 1.75 and for some reason the cam card only shows installed pressures, not heights but the installed closed pressure is specified at 100 lbs and at 1.75 it would be 94 lbs, close enough for me  ;D
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 03:35:40 PM by nolang »

Offline nolang

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2013, 06:32:55 PM »
Got it running again today, only took the weekend instead of a weekend plus a few days like last time  ;D

Somehow i always end up with exhaust leaks though, even on different cars  >:(

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2013, 09:15:44 PM »
I feel horrible. I didn't see the post where you got the Crower cam when I was telling you to use the stock springs. I only saw the post on the first page when you were looking at the Comp Cams camshafts that had less lift than the one I have. The Crower would have coil bind with the stock springs as you found out, unfortunately. I hope you don't punch me in the jaw if we we ever get together at an Eagle meet.  :boxing:
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk