News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• September 21, 2024, 05:57:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1984 Eagle Wagon Limited  (Read 27904 times)

Offline nolang

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
1984 Eagle Wagon Limited
« on: October 27, 2012, 03:04:03 PM »
I got this about a year ago, figured I might as well get around to posting it

Couple pictures from the craigslist ad:

Don't think I got any pictures under the hood before messing with a few things but here it is with the HEI distributor and the plastic valve cover off because it was leaking oil

Interior

Drag racing lol

New valve cover which still has a minor oil leak because of the near impossible to get to bolt in the back

Weber 38

That's all the pictures I have for now, planning on getting the clifford header/intake when I get some extra money unless someone knows of something that would work better and/or is cheaper

Online mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
Re: 1984 Eagle Wagon Limited
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 03:40:32 PM »
i got a jeep header shipped to my house for just over $100. minor exaust fabricating was needed to get around the axel bracket after the collector. that rear bolt with the right combo of tools is super easy. somthing like socket extension u joint extension ratchet.

anyway nice looker
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 09:54:12 AM by mudkicker715 »

Manitowoc WI

68AMXGOPAC

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 09:10:17 AM »
I did the old -drill a hole down through the firewall lip right above the bolt and use a 1/4" ratchet and longer extension down to it, worked like a charm.

Offline nolang

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2012, 01:11:31 AM »
I did the old -drill a hole down through the firewall lip right above the bolt and use a 1/4" ratchet and longer extension down to it, worked like a charm.
I might have to try this, I've tried with an extension and swivel socket adapter before but just when it starts to get tight, the socket starts trying to round the bolt head

Offline nolang

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2012, 11:31:09 PM »
So I accidentally made a hole in the oil pan this morning, tire was flat and needed to jack it up for it to hold air and it fell off the jack

Is removing the oil pan or the entire motor easier? The Chilton book actually says that removing the motor is easier in most cases

Online mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2012, 01:06:29 AM »
i would remove the motor

Manitowoc WI

Offline nolang

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2012, 10:31:56 PM »
Decided to go the route of pulling the motor

Got the radiator, fan shroud, and most of the wiring and hoses off/out of the way today, are there any upgrades or things I should check while i have it out? I don't really want to completely tear down the motor but something like a new cam/lifters might be nice to do while the motor is already out

Offline eaglebeek

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 70
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2012, 11:49:38 PM »
Decided to go the route of pulling the motor

Got the radiator, fan shroud, and most of the wiring and hoses off/out of the way today, are there any upgrades or things I should check while i have it out? I don't really want to completely tear down the motor but something like a new cam/lifters might be nice to do while the motor is already out

...and a new rear crank seal... :eagle:
1984 Eagle Wagon, 258, auto, 2.73 gears, daily driver
1983 Eagle Limited Wagon, parts; sold
2000 Jeep Cherokee, 4.0, auto
2007 Hyundai Accent, radical downsize from minivan, wife's car and she loves it!

"The society which scorns excellence in plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an exalted activity will have neither good plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water."--John W. Gardner, in "Excellence: Can We Be Equal and Excellent Too?" (1961)

Air-conditioning is so cool!

Offline nolang

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2012, 12:30:19 AM »
How much extra valve clearance is there to use? I don't really want to jump on buying a new cam kit and then afterwards learn that it won't work without some extra work/money

Currently looking at one of these two:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-k68-200-4/
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-k68-201-4/

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2012, 10:08:14 AM »
Either of those should work fine. I wouldn't use the Comp Cams springs though. I would go with some stock replacement springs. Many say that the Comp Cam springs are too stiff a rate and prematurely wipe out the cam. I've got a higher lift cam than the ones that you posted with stock replacement springs and no problems.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline nolang

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2012, 09:36:19 PM »
I've got it to the point where I should just have to unbolt the transmission and pull it out but I'm not sure where to bolt the chain to, any suggestions?

Offline nolang

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2012, 10:46:29 PM »
Finally got the motor out, getting to the transmission bolts is not an easy task

Offline nolang

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2012, 01:31:14 AM »
Oil pan is patched and back on the motor, now for the fun of putting the motor back in

Offline nolang

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2012, 09:01:04 PM »
Got the motor back in about a week ago and have most stuff reattached, pretty much just the torque converter, exhaust, radiator/fan and some miscellaneous wires and hoses to do

Of course after it took me most of a day to remove the bolts to the transmission, it only took me ~30 minutes to put them back in  >:( Also found out that the vacuum line to my front axle is just plugged off with a screw so hopefully i'll have that fixed by the time it's running again

Offline nolang

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2012, 10:48:32 PM »
So the car was running yesterday, just a couple minor leaks that needed fixed otherwise it seems to be running as good as before if not a little better, still need to get a vacuum hose for the front axle but that should be fairly easy, at least I hope it is  ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk