News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 03, 2024, 09:58:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Red Headed Step Child - 84 Sedan  (Read 17032 times)

Offline Billman

• Lurking again
  • Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 17
Re: Red Headed Step Child - 84 Sedan
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2012, 03:16:33 AM »
Wow nice turn around, mighty quick too.
1982 SX/4
1983 SX/4
1983 wagonProject
1984 wagon DD
1996 Jeep
2007  Caliber
2004 Silverado

Offline trailbreaker

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 7
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2012, 07:18:14 AM »

Thanks tb, these are the style I'm trying to match 97+ type, I forget what they call em, lol.
sorry shag i only have the older steelies
81 eagle sedan
86 eagle sedan
88 f350 crew
88 ramcharger
99 durango (wifes)
95 husqvarna wx350

Offline shaggimo

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 90
  • When "6" just won't do.......
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2012, 09:38:33 AM »
Wow nice turn around, mighty quick too.

Thanks! Within the next month there will be a much more drastic change   ;D

Thanks for the offer all the same tb!
88 xj cherokee- ((4)(4))2
81 malibu 4dr- Identity Crisis
81 SX4- gf's
84 Eagle 4dr sedan- it followed me home... ::)
http://www.cardomain.com/id/Oldsmoletic
CNY

Offline shaggimo

• Thumbs Up 90
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2012, 09:32:50 AM »
Oops, I see it's been a bit since I thrown an update out here, no real progress to report, plans and actions have been set in motion though   ;D . Had a bit of an upset with the roof when I stripped the body filler off, it's junk, swiss cheese no proper way to repair it  :censored: :censored: to say the least  :banghead: .

After taking an angle grinder to it with a 24g disc, the evils were revealed.  :o

Basically the whole center section from the windshield to the back window is shot. My solution...

Organ donor! Picked it up Sunday, has pretty much everything I need to make the 84 right. The parts car has some bad frame rot in the typical spots, so I don't feel bad about cutting it up to save a solid one.
One more pic, lol.

Of course, it had to be hauled by another AMC. (Buddies wagoneer)  8)
81 SX4- gf's
CNY

Offline maddog

• a long haired redneck country boy
  • Thumbs Up 50
  • AMC Eagle the original crossover
« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2012, 08:03:14 PM »
congrats on eagle number three it looks to have lot of good parts on it.
1998 CHEVY S10 (DAILY DRIVER/PROJECT) INTIMIDATIN'
1980 AMC EAGLE WAGON (PROJECT) EAGLE EYES
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=30758.0
1983 AMC EAGLE LIMITED WAGON-SURVIVOR (gone)
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=32372.0

Offline shaggimo

• Thumbs Up 90
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2012, 08:19:00 AM »
Thanks, and yes it does have many good parts on it, all of which will be saved and put back out to those who may need them.
81 SX4- gf's
CNY

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 213
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2012, 11:27:14 PM »
Nice looking Jeep towing it home too!
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2012, 02:01:14 AM »
Nice looking Jeep towing it home too!

x2, very sweet Wagoneer! Your buddy should be proud.
1982 AMC Eagle SX/4 (Work In Progress)

Photobucket Album: http://s1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff479/Baskinator/

Offline shaggimo

• Thumbs Up 90
« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2012, 08:43:25 AM »
I will say, the waggy is kick  :censored: , nice comfy seats, and all the power it needs (360). He got that I think early this year out of PA, was already lifted, I helped him put on the brush guard, and built recovery points for him. I'm glad we chose it to haul the eagle out of the mountains rather than my cherokee, lol, would've been quite the hairy ride  :o .
81 SX4- gf's
CNY

Offline shaggimo

• Thumbs Up 90
« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2012, 01:41:54 PM »
Haven't made really much headway lately, still doing furnace battle, making air boxes, plenums, duct work, etc. However, I managed a few things, happy to say the parts car runs, drives, and mostly stops! lol

That made me quite happy, I know I've said it numerous times, but these things are too heavy to push around with half flat tires, lol. Took the ole bugger for a little trip over to my parents for some air, lol, (just across the road). Then a bit of ambition hit, I decided to make some progress on the red car. It still had the busted windshield in, so that had to go, but in order to get to it, a little diassembly is required, since I was that far I figured I'd start prepping the car for its scalping, lol. Out went the windshield, I'll just say, it's a royal pain in the arse trying to remove a shattered one with out breaking it further and making a big mess.

It is possible though, took me about an hour to carefully cut it out via utility knife. Before that process, I had my little helper hanging out with me, lending a paw in removing miscellaneous interior pieces.

Here he is helping me remove the rear seat, haha, ok so he just sits there and gives me puzzled looks as I dismantle the car.

Headliner removal, soooooo easy with the windshield out of the way, :rotfl: .

Managed to get the rest of the glass out without breaking it, so that was a big plus, I hate cleaning up broken glass. Now the 84 is ready to go back outside (covered of course) so the parts car can enter and start donating goodies.

Random dog pic. He perched himself up on the drivers seatback to supervise me removing the rear window.

Just a peak at another thing to fix, Haven't a clue how one could dent a car here but, then again, stolen cars are seldomly treated well, hahaha.

Maybe this weekend I'll have some time to dismantle what I need from the parts car, and start my roof chopping/grafting project. This should be interesting, I've never taken on something like this before, floors, quarters, doorskins, yes, but never a roof skin.
81 SX4- gf's
CNY

Offline shaggimo

• Thumbs Up 90
« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2012, 05:17:01 PM »
lol thanks, trying to get it back on the road before snow flies, lol.

The jack is about a year and a half old, the miss and I adopted him earlier this year, born deaf so he's a handful, lol, have to watch him like a hawk. He's a great dog though, about the most amiable creature in existance,  :rotfl: .
81 SX4- gf's
CNY

Offline shaggimo

• Thumbs Up 90
« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2012, 11:59:54 AM »
Little rundown of what's been brewing at the shaggshack (try saying that three times fast, hahaha).

Thurday night: Cut the roof off the parts car, did a little test fit to the 84.

Friday night:

Prepped the car and replacement roof to become one, lol, tacked into place, and ran a few beads.

Saturday Afternoon:
Had to work in the am, so got a late start, I welded the roof up soilid (yes that's approximately a 20' bead), then proceeded to grind all that down, with a blend wheel, lol.

Next up, I had the quater window delete to do, went out and bought a piece of sheet metal, made my cut outs, and formed them via Irish knee,   :idea: .

All welded up ready for grinding, only almost burned the car up once,  :imwithstupid:  , my so called flame barrier caught fire. I got it before the car went up though.

Sunday Afternoon:
Again a late start, had to do a little lawn battle and swap out my thermostat in the house (never ending, hahaha).

Spent Quite a bit of time grinding the welds on the delete plates, then started prepping for filler.

You can see the burn mark in the panel here, the fire was on the inside, got pretty hot to discolor the outside :o , warped it too   >:( .
Started my first layers of fill, and that's where I left off. I'm satisfied so far with how it's all coming together, if I keep this momentum up, I'll be ready to lay paint on the roof very soon. Almost time to move it across the street to the heated barn,  ;D .
81 SX4- gf's
CNY

Offline eagleman

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2012, 12:16:06 PM »
Way to go! Looks like a ton of work but never the less its looking good. Will be interesting yo see how it looks finished without the opera windows. Hopefully there will be no blind spots.
Turkeys walk.Eagles fly!!!

Prafeston

« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2012, 12:55:38 PM »
Great work with the roof and window delete. You were moving right along this weekend!

Offline shaggimo

• Thumbs Up 90
« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2012, 01:01:13 PM »
Thanks guys!  :occasion14:  Yeah lots of work, the car had the typical rot around the opera windows, so I figured I mind as well "Hornetize" it and eliminate the problem from returning.
81 SX4- gf's
CNY

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk