News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 17, 2024, 12:52:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: help what transmission pans fit my 84 eagle auto with 6 cylinder  (Read 3893 times)

Offline rommel1940

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
help what transmission pans fit my 84 eagle auto with 6 cylinder
« on: December 29, 2015, 04:10:27 PM »
I know the 258 with the auto was a tf998 , but I'm having trouble finding that pan.What options do I have?.I woke up to tranny fluid on my driveway today, after investigation it looks like its coming from my old beat up which someone welded a hole at one point.Another question it the front main was leaking it would leak pretty good while engine is running in gear right? It doesn't leak at all.but there is evidence of a leak around the bolt pattern of the trans pan and right below that is the exhaust pipe with a large wet/drip spot.trans was only about a half a quart low.this is the front area of the trans about 4 inches away from the front main.
1984 Eagle Limited

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 213
Re: help what transmission pans fit my 84 eagle auto with 6 cylinder
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2015, 06:27:40 PM »
Here is one option

http://www.morris4x4center.com/deep-transmission-pan-kit-p4007886ab.html?gclid=Cj0KEQiA-4i0BRCaudDcrrnDi6kBEiQAZSh5fyTg4CWkbG7qO4dX94NO2_7XHU6xS2c9L2kDLlRScqAaAlpZ8P8HAQ

You can also get a real nice aluminum pan that's deeper and leaks less.  Surprisingly, it costs more  ;)
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline rommel1940

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2015, 06:45:42 PM »
Yeah that's not bad at all, do you recommend it? Have you used it? Thanks
1984 Eagle Limited

Offline AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 87
    • American Motors Club of Houston
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2015, 04:44:22 PM »
I have this Summit pan on a few of my AMC's (incl. both of my Eagles):

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sme-1010r/overview/

with the hard plastic O-ringed reusable gasket (MOPAR part # 04295875AC).

No trans pan leaks ever again!!

Note tho that the header pipe is kinda close where it crosses in front of the pan; so I wrapped the pipe there with some fiberglass pipe wrap.

George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 213
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2015, 06:12:17 PM »
Yeah that's not bad at all, do you recommend it? Have you used it? Thanks

I have not used that pan.  The one recommended by AMC of Houston was the upgrade style I was referring to, looks really nice.
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline rommel1940

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2015, 07:43:02 PM »
Thats were the front of my pan is leaking,
Right on to the header
1984 Eagle Limited

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2016, 02:51:57 AM »
It's essentially a Dodge 904 trans, but with an AMC bell pattern and if you have a new engine vibration that is RPM related, it could be a cracked converter neck. If not, the Orings on the dipstick tube like to leak. I have an aftermarket dipstick tube on my Eagle with the Grand Wagoneer 727 I put in. The hole is slightly bigger for the tube on newer trans (I got one for big block Mopar) and the orings leak if the car sits on any angle for more than 2 days and the converter drains back into the pan, raising the level too much. I got some thicker orings to put in as soon as I can find someplace near me to work on stuff.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline rommel1940

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2016, 09:23:00 AM »
Replaced pan and gasket,  used different used oem pan , new gasket/filter.front leak is gone, now I have a drip from the rear of the pan, not too bad, it was really coming out of the front, many ounces so I was worried about it, being so close to the front main.so I'm happy for now, minor leak now and will address it at a later time, too cold and its likely to get more expensive with lubelocker gasket maybe a cast pan if that doesn't work.
1984 Eagle Limited

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk