News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 15, 2024, 11:13:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: My 87 AMC Eagle  (Read 2618 times)

Offline WhitelakeEagle

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • 87 AMC Eagle wagon- in progress of restoration
My 87 AMC Eagle
« on: November 01, 2015, 06:24:04 PM »
Good evening to everyone.
   Just wanted to introduce myself and the story on my 87 AMC Eagle wagon. My parents bought the Eagle in 1988,  used, was only a year old at the time with 14000 miles on it. My Dad fell in love with it and always said it was the best  four wheel drive vehicle he had ever driven.  From then on it took them many mile's and many road trips. Took my mom back and forth to work everyday reliably for many years. But It came time for my mom to get a new vehicle, well just so happened that at that time my Dads truck took a turn for the worst when the injector pump gave out. My dad took over driving the eagle for a few more years. But being in construction  he wanted to have a truck again to haul materials easier. After he had gotten a truck the eagle became the back up car (being I was only 8 I couldn't drive it) so it sat and was driven on and off for the next few years, but then it sat for one year not being driven, then two then three.  After 8 years of sitting a tree limp came down and took out the passenger rear window and put a dent in the roof.  we covered it up and it sat again for another year and a half till now. I am currently 19 and always have had a obsession with that car, seeing it sit there every time I drive out and in the drive. I finally said enough and started some research. I plan to restore the Eagle back to its former glory and make it road worthy again. I recently threw a battery in it and turned the key to see if she would still roll over, well I got a surprise, the radio came on, the windshield wipers turned on and the blower fan blew at full bore. After laughing at the situation and wiping the dust off me I turned the key to find she wasn't locked up and turned over with ease. "Great!" I thought, but more investigation I need a new coil, nothing major. I should have it running very soon, these 4L are known for being bullet proof (to a point).  I have noticed it needs a fair amount; All new rubber under the hood, break lines, doors pins, front seats, rear hatch hinges, drivers floorboard, right rear door window, the front door cables need to be replaced so I can open the door from the outside, and probably many more things, but hopefully not  too much. It does have some rust being from Michigan but it looks to be all fixable (knock on wood).  I've been trying to reach out to people that I can locate parts from, if anyone knows some good places let me know, it would be greatly appreciated. I plan to have her driving next summer if I can have my way, If anyone has any tips, suggestions or comments feel free to contact me.
   And that's my eagle's story.
      Thanks much
         WhitelakeEagle

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
Re: My 87 AMC Eagle
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2015, 09:05:14 PM »
Welcome to the forum and great story.  :occasion14: (that's non alcoholic beer) Good luck with your Eagle. You could post a wanted ad for your part needs.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 213
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2015, 08:51:08 AM »
Welcome to the Den and have fun restoring your Eagle.  Doesn't sound like anything too major, you may also want to make sure you thoroughly inspect the metal in the front wheel wells as that is where a lot of substantial rust can occur that makes these cars un-restorable.  I believe I have a pair of hatch hinges for sale.

1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline Amc1320

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 48
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2015, 12:53:58 PM »
Welcome aboard!

Keep us posted on your progress, lots of helpful folks here to get you back on the road

Rob
Rob c
84 Eagle Limited Wagon (driven everyday)
81 Eagle Kammback
81 Spirit (undergoing surgery)
83 Spirit (parts car giving it all to keep the rest going)
Manchester, TN

Offline WhitelakeEagle

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • 87 AMC Eagle wagon- in progress of restoration
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2015, 12:08:29 AM »
Thank you, I will certainly keep you all posted on the progress. I have collected some metal to replace the rotten floor board on the drivers side. Still have yet to get her moved out of the spot shes sitting.  Thanks for the tips.

WhitelakeEagle

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk