News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 16, 2024, 01:21:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Hello everyone form Arizona  (Read 2730 times)

Offline mwood

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
Hello everyone form Arizona
« on: September 25, 2015, 05:58:10 PM »
  Just became a member and at the time do not own an Eagle. I have a 2001 F250 SD 4x4 with a V-10 and a 1974 Jeep Cherokee with a 4.2L, T18-1B 4 speed & Dana 20.

I used to own a mint 1981 Eagle SX4 4.2L & SR4 with 60,000 miles, I bought in Wyoming for $600 from some old guy.

Ended up selling the car in Waukesha WI.(about 1997)  when I needed a truck for work  and have missed it ever since. I never realized how rare the car was till recently when looking into buying another one. I kick myself in the rear for ever selling it. I am looking for another one now so someday maybe I can own another one, If I find one it will be my daily driver till I die.....which isn't long since I am 50 now...... :o

I am 50, live in central Arizona in the woods and am married with 5 grown and moved out children, 5 grandchildren, 20 chickens & a large Tortoise.

I miss this emblem on my car  :eaglebig:

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
Re: Hello everyone form Arizona
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2015, 06:16:01 PM »
Welcome and good luck with your search. Your chances are much better finding one in the southwest than up north, where you used to live, due to the rust..
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline mwood

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2015, 06:31:43 PM »
Yeah, What you say is true.

I am getting older and they are getting more rare and since I can't work due to disability I have far, far more time than money.

Offline Amc1320

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 48
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2015, 09:14:58 PM »
Nothing wrong with being 50!!

Just keep your eyes open, they still pop up here and there, just usually when you are NOT looking!

Welcome to the Den
Rob c
84 Eagle Limited Wagon (driven everyday)
81 Eagle Kammback
81 Spirit (undergoing surgery)
83 Spirit (parts car giving it all to keep the rest going)
Manchester, TN

Offline rollguy

• Turbo Diesel Eagle
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 84
  • Southern California
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2015, 12:03:38 PM »
I am in So. Cal, and I have a great 4 door sedan project for sale. It need to be finished being put back together after a complete paint job.  Just a couple long days and some parts (windshield and a battery), and the car would be back on the road.  It is stalled at the window switch wiring, and needs either a good photo of where the wires go in each connector, or the wiring from a parts car to see where all the wires go.  Then the door panels can be put on, and the interior will be finished.  The exterior needs the plastic trim painted and installed.  The car is on planned non-op, so no fees will be incurred when it is registered. The car is the rust colored 4 door sedan in my signature photo, and in a thread here:   http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=41937.msg325820#msg325820
« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 12:13:18 PM by rollguy »
1980 Eagle Turbodiesel Wagon (only 2 known to exist as of 2008)- 7-7-2011 Flight to it's new nest @ Rambler Ranch
1983 Eagle Wagon  Tan over Copper
1982 Eagle SX4 "ALTREGL"  (avatar photo)
1982 Eagle 4 Door Sedan  Copper over Satin Black
1985 Eagle Sport Wagon October 2007 ROTM (SOLD)
4 Biofuel powered Benzs ('98 E300, '82 300 CD, '82 300 TD (wagon), '80 240 D)
1983 GMC Van (6.2 Diesel)
1985 Mitsubishi pickup (2.3 Turbodiesel)

Offline mwood

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2015, 01:37:03 PM »
Rollguy,

I do not have a shop or garage right now, it will be built in 5 years when the house is paid off. If I had someplace to work on it I would buy it in a minute.
 I love the color and it will be very nice looking when it's finished.
I am really wanting a SX4 again and never cared for the other models but lately I have come to like the sedans.

Offline johnbendik

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2015, 11:00:47 PM »
Welcome aboard, mwood. 

When I decided I wanted an Eagle, it took me a couple of years of looking to find what I wanted (a 258 wagon with the 5-speed).  I had a handful of bookmarked car sites in my web browser that I searched every morning.  I bid on a couple of them on EBay during that time, but would drop out when the price got over $3000 (on cars that did not look all that good).  Then one fine day I saw what looked like a beauty with a 'Buy It Now' price of $1000!  I have never clicked on something that fast in my life...

Getting it shipped to Sugar Land, TX was a nightmare that cost more than the car itself.  I discovered what a seriously flaky business the auto transport industry is.

So good luck with your search.  You're doing the smart thing by hanging out in the 'Den first; I wish I had done that before I bought my car.  The posters here have bailed me out too many times to count.

I think the warning to beware of rust on cars from the frozen North mostly applies to the east coast; most of the northwestern states do not allow salt to be used on the public roads.  My Eagle was from Idaho, and it didn't have any rust to speak of on the undercarriage.  Most of the ones you'll find for sale are up north because people up there got them to have AWD in the snow.

Hope you find a good one,
JB
1984 Eagle Sportwagon
258 - 6 cyl
5-speed !

Offline mwood

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2015, 04:40:38 PM »
 I am looking for an SX4, 4 cyl. with a 5 speed then plan on swapping the 258 in later. That way I figure I would have the lower geared differentials.

My 74' Jeep Cherokee has a 258, T18-1B 4 speed trans with granny low and a Dana 20 transfer case and thought that would be cool to swap over into an Eagle SX4 and should be a fairly direct swap but wasn't sure about how the transfer case outputs would line up with the front & rear differentials in the Eagle.

My old 1981 SX4 had a 258 & a SR4 trans which blew up and it was a great car but would have been nice to have low range option at times.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk