News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 15, 2024, 11:41:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New owner of a 1987 AMC Eagle  (Read 3301 times)

Offline vagolfer

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 0
New owner of a 1987 AMC Eagle
« on: August 12, 2015, 12:59:40 PM »
Gentlemen,
  As a lifetime ( well, since high school ) car restorer/refurbisher I have been through all the British POS cars, muscle cars, Studebakers, Thunderbirds, Mercedes/Bmr's, Japenese, Italian, etc. However, I have always wanted to get my hands on one of the most eclectic vehicles of all time  -  an  AMC Eagle. Well, I finally did it !    :blob1:  I found one near me on Craigslist and drove two hours to see this  semi-abandoned car begging to be brought back to life. After a through inspection ( A lesson well learned through the years ) The Good - 1) Almost all original with 99% of stuff there 2) Virtually no rust 3) New Michelin tires ! 3) Loved the color 4) No evidence of an accident 5) 69,000 miles 6) Interior was exceedingly dirty, but not torn up and mostly there 7) $2000 asking/bought for $1500 ! The Bad - 1) Not running well ( combination, my guess was, bad gas and bad Carter carb 2) Paint was filthy, filthy, filthy and faded 3) Carpet and headliner needed replacing 4) The unknown.....since I could not take it for a good test drive somethings were still questionable. However, it was giving me the look that a couple of canines and several women have given me over the years saying " Please take me home."
  As of a couple of weeks later I have washed it ( 3 times ! to get all the crud off !) clayed it and buffed it and was surprised how well the paint came back. Cleaned the interior, changed the oil, plugs, plug wires, fuel filter, etc. I am currently switching over to the Motorcraft 2150 carb ( thanks for the advice ) and will be installing new Monroe shocks ( again, thanks for the advice re: ChevyII shocks ).
I did have some questions if you could help me further - 1) I like the stock wheels, however, I'd like to change to some original alloys ( 15" x 6" ) or install some 16" alloy wheels.....suggestions ? 2) Has anyone tried painting the wheel arches + below the trim piece/ bottom trim with bedliner like materials. 3) Best place to get carpet/headliner material. I was looking at Stock Interiors but I'd looking for options.
Thanks.....Pix attached of before any work done......Updates later,
Jim

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
Re: New owner of a 1987 AMC Eagle
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2015, 09:57:06 PM »
Welcome and congrats. Hopefully someone else can answer some of your questions.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2015, 09:28:14 AM »
hi and welcome. ALL auto carpets, no matter who sells them, are made by ACC (Auto Custom Carpet) you can order from them directly, or from any other net jobber. Sometimes the net resellers actually have a bit lower prices than ACC itself, but me, I just get it direct so as to have one less worry. A lot of Jeep XJ wheels will fit. Browse through this site for ideas. As for using bedliner on the flares, I don't see why not. The only downside is it may be hard to remove if you change your mind later. I just did my whole roof with truck bedliner, to replace a torn up vinyl top. Looks pretty good. good luck, gz ps does the va refer to Virginia?

Offline vagolfer

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2015, 01:01:53 PM »
Thanks for the info ! Yes, I'm in Virginia....Goochland, Va. to be exact.
Jim

Offline Amc1320

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 48
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2015, 09:45:19 PM »
Welcome to the den and nice eagle, I like that color too!

My son did all his flares on his sx4 with that line x stuff, it came out very nice, maybe you can see it in this pic if you zoom in?

Rob c
84 Eagle Limited Wagon (driven everyday)
81 Eagle Kammback
81 Spirit (undergoing surgery)
83 Spirit (parts car giving it all to keep the rest going)
Manchester, TN

Offline amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2015, 08:39:33 AM »
hey, vagolfer, I'm in Roanoke, if you're ever in the area....stop by. gz

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk