News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• September 29, 2024, 04:29:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Hard time going up hills help  (Read 5099 times)

Offline Newgenerationamcer

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • AMC till the day I die
Hard time going up hills help
« on: August 08, 2015, 06:24:18 PM »
My eagle was having a hard time getting up a hill next to my house and staled going up it. We figured it was a cat so after replacing the cat it stopped it from staling but I still can't go up a steep hill faster than 25 when I could before the engine reves up but just won't go any faster it's an automatic . any help is greatly appreciated

Offline IRON HORSE

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 47
Re: Hard time going up hills help
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2015, 07:26:13 PM »
How is the fluid level ... has the filter been changed ... is the fluid still red in color ... does it smell burnt. :o
just trying to get some backround info ..
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 07:29:08 PM by IRON HORSE »

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • AMC till the day I die
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2015, 07:41:00 PM »
The fluid is red and didn't smell burnt but I don't know about the filter I've only had the car for a year and I don't know how well the guy maintained it

Offline amchornet

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 7
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2015, 08:36:22 AM »
sounds like you need to get your trans check out....it might be slipping
Joe Washburn
1976 hornet sedan 258 4.0 head mpfi
1985 eagle sedan 4.0 mpfi
1998 jeep grand

Offline IRON HORSE

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 47
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2015, 04:09:38 PM »
Hello,  How is the fluid level ?    My 2 cents:  There is a rod connected between the throttle and the transmission, this rod controls pressure within the trans. When you're at a stop the pressure is low to release the clutch pack .. when you step on the gas pressure increases to engage the clutch pack, and hold it from slipping while you drive. If this rod is damaged and trans pressure is low while you're driving it could cause your problem. This rod has to be functional to prevent transmission damage. The fact the fluid is red and doesn't smell burnt is a good thing .. .. Also .. might want to check engine timing / vacuum advance is working.    let us know how it's going .. Regards, Iron Horse :o
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 04:41:50 PM by IRON HORSE »

Offline Just4u2c

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2015, 12:19:18 AM »
Being a mechanic I get tricked all the time by explainations and just guessing what they mean.. This might be the case.. Sounds like it is slipping when first reading it but if you read it a bit different I see a potential for it being something else...

When going up this hill is it like your driving a manual and leaving it in first gear and never shifting??  But it doesnt have the power to let you shift it to the next gear??
Or have you ever experience a clutch slipping on a manual and it feels like that???

Sounds like 1 of 2 problems... Sounds like it just doesnt have the power to get up the hill so you have your foot on the floor and since it can't get going fast enough to shift to the next gear then it will just keep rev'ing up...
OR
Your transmission is slipping but usually you notice that not just on hills but all the time shifting..

help us help you
79 AMX 401 5speed
81 SX/4 still a project/winter driver
83 Spirit GT.... Still up in the air with what to do with it

Offline AMC1

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2015, 11:35:44 AM »
This may not be your problem but the symptoms are starting out the same. I had a loss of power going up hills only but the engine ran fine. Only after some time did the engine start running poorly all the time. Rebuilding the carb did nothing. Turns out I had a crack in the ignition coil.
1976 gremlin
pair of 1983 SX4's sports
1946 Cushman step-thru

Offline IRON HORSE

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 47
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2015, 02:35:20 PM »
Hello .. thought of something else .. install a tachometer for a test, you can use clips for a temporary install .. RPMs should remain fairly constant even when climbing the hill .. but if you see RPMs ramp up too much that would indicate trans is slipping. The test would either prove or eliminate a possible cause ...  I H  :o
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 02:49:58 PM by IRON HORSE »

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • AMC till the day I die
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2015, 12:21:25 PM »
Thanks for all the help so far and I'm sorry I haven't responded. I have bad news though it now stalls when I put the car into gear could it be that rod between the throttle and transmission. Somone also told me it could be a tourque converter or a fuel pump. Could a trans slipping cause a car to stall ? When going up a hill it dosnt feel like it has any power and I don't have a lot of experience with manuels but the car ran well on level ground untill recently and ideas are greatly appreciated

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • AMC till the day I die
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2015, 01:00:17 PM »
And it dosnt stall all the time but even when it starts it dosnt run right

Offline Amc1320

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 48
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2015, 02:35:16 PM »
Maybe we should start with the basics. These engines are actually fairly easy to make run well if you can take care of 4 things

1. Fuel - its the fuel clean, filter clogged, carb adjusted correctly, carb dirty or clogged?
2. Fire - are the plugs fouled, is the rotor and cap on the distributor good, is the coil in good shape, is the voltage going to the coil correct?
3. Timing - is the fire and fuel meeting at the right time?
4. Vacuum - is there a leak, hose unplugged, hose rotted or missing, PVC or EGR stuck or bad, is the intake gasket good?

I have found if all 4 of these are in harmony and set reasonably close it will run great, if not well, not great

Check these 4 things first, it sounds like you don't have the correct amount of power to get up the hill, the running roughly is an indicator of one of these 4 being out of adjustment

Good luck and keep us posted, lots of helpful folks on this forum to get you running like a champ asap!
Rob c
84 Eagle Limited Wagon (driven everyday)
81 Eagle Kammback
81 Spirit (undergoing surgery)
83 Spirit (parts car giving it all to keep the rest going)
Manchester, TN

Offline AMCLOVER258

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2015, 09:45:53 PM »
I know my automatic(prior to being taken apart) didn't like going up hills very fast... I replaced the ignition(complete TFI and Platinum plugs) straight piped, And drowned the car in sea foam which only seemed to temporarily relieve the issue. I know if you do not have another vehicle to rely on to check for valve issues. Driving habit can help.... The eagle does NOT like WOT.. with that being said i found that my eagle(pulled down to the "second gear" on the shifter and a slow and stead quarter to half throttle transition seemed to get me to where i needed to go with acceptable speed. Seems kinda drawn out but worked for me until i had the time and additional vehicle to park the eagle.. Just my .02 cents.

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • AMC till the day I die
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2015, 10:41:09 AM »
It ending up being that when the previous owner converted the car to fuel injection then back to the carb he left the electric fuel pump and a regulator which went and after a couple days of looking around I found a similar pump and the car is back on the road  :hello2: I'm just glad it wasn't a transmission problem. Thank you all for your suggestions and help

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2015, 11:08:01 AM »
Wow, interesting and good news.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 216
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2015, 06:20:12 PM »
Glad to hear you are back on the road!!
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"