News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 17, 2024, 12:23:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Rebuild suspension on 83 eagle limited  (Read 8892 times)

Offline rootsyliving

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
Rebuild suspension on 83 eagle limited
« on: December 25, 2014, 06:41:31 PM »
Looking to replace suspension on my 83 eagle limited. I have new shocks and tie rod ends. The front end is rickety to say the least. Can anyone recommend exactly what I should do to make the car ride better. I am willing to spend money to make it the best possible. A specific list would really help. Thank you and I look forward to hearing from someone with a  great plan. It's my daily driver in Mexico.

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
Re: Rebuild suspension on 83 eagle limited
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2014, 10:48:47 AM »
Idler arm, pitman arm, drag link, upper control arm bushings (if the arms aren't rusty or the frame), Spring mount bushing, upper balljoint, lower balljoint. lower control arm bushings, strut rod bushings, anti-swaybar endlinks and bushings. Springs sagging? (do you have inner and outer tierods and adjusting sleeves?)

Idler slop does a LOT of it. Strut rod bushings are cheap and need doing several times a year.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 10:49:49 AM by carnuck »
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2014, 08:58:26 PM »
hi, what carnuck said. i would add the upper coil donuts. I had my 82 Eagle front suspension completely and Professionally done about 5 years ago, cost about a grand. Maybe a little more now. Don't forget you will need a GOOD alignment after this. Having said that, it was one of the best investments, car drove straight, had MUCH better feeling of  control, was simply a pleasure to drive again. Hey, there is no free lunch! It's simply amazing that our cars have lasted as long as they have. The hardest part to find is the spring seat bushings. There's an AMC guy in Cali somewhere who sells them. I'll post if I can refind the name. Other parts should still be available. Also, while at it check/replace rag joint. Good luck! gz

Offline AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 87
    • American Motors Club of Houston
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2014, 11:48:13 AM »
Spring seat bushings are out there; but a tad pricey.   A "good deal" price would be about $35 each right now.   I stocked up a few years ago when a vendor was going out of business and had a bunch.   Rare Parts P/N 15151
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2014, 01:26:45 PM »
I was shocked Napa wants $70 each for them.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 87
    • American Motors Club of Houston
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2014, 07:18:26 PM »
Best deal I see right now is the Just Suspension web site at $37.54 each - plus only 99 cents postage.
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline rootsyliving

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2015, 06:17:13 PM »
Thanks everyone. Something happened today. 2 big bearings fell off the front right side. Was able to drive it but now need to fix before doing the front end. I forgot to say I'm in Baja with limited resource to parts. Going to try and make it happen. Thank you for the answers.

Offline rootsyliving

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2015, 08:14:17 PM »
Question? Last problem was a broken right side axle   The mechanic replaced with a new one $100 is the cost for the part down here in Mexico. I got the car back and a week later the first time I put it in 4 wheel drive it breaks. Rips right out. He says I need another one because my eagle has a lift on the front end (not stock coil springs) and he has to make a flange so it does not break when I put it in 4 wheel drive. The other side is fine.

My question is should I be responsible for paying for a new one again since it broke. Shouldn't he of put it in 4 wheel drive and tested before saying it was fixed. He did not test in 4 wheel drive

Any advice would be appreciated.

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2015, 09:28:14 PM »
Whoever he gets parts from has a warranty. However it does not cover his labor. I need a pic to verify lift or not.

Manitowoc WI

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2015, 11:15:21 AM »
Warranty probably not in effect down there. You need '80s Chev S10 4x4 axles for the lift.

Offline rootsyliving

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2015, 01:13:07 PM »
Mechanic is claiming it was not a bad part.  That because the cool springs are not stock. Which I believe they are there is a gap from the axle to the transfer case and he needs to make a flange to fill the gap. When I put it in 4 wd since there was not enough play it pulled right out.  The other side is fine and before he put the new one on it was fine. The rubber boot broke and sand got in and we know wjw sand will do 

It drove fine after the initial breakage. This time it was not driveable.

Personally I feel he did something wrong and now I am paying for the same thing twice because of his mistake.
He thinks there is a lift because the previous owner put the biggest tires possible. It rubs when you make a tight turn.

Offline rootsyliving

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2015, 01:14:22 PM »
And the part was shipped from the U.S. 

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2015, 03:14:34 PM »
Are the axles sitting level or angled down towards the wheel? If level then tell him he is wrong about it being lifted. It's possible you may have been sent the wrong axle. Get the number for what was installed and I can find out if that was wrong or if it was misboxed.

Offline rootsyliving

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2015, 03:22:23 PM »
Now he is saying the front right tire or something is bent so the tire is pointed out a bit. II specifically asked him to check everything regarding the suspension and the front end .  He even wrote it on the receipt.  He is a reputable american mechanic living down here.

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2015, 12:37:41 PM »
Maybe the bracket for the strut arm is cracked? That fooled me once.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk