News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 23, 2024, 03:54:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New to the Nest  (Read 3327 times)

Offline cromagjeff

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
New to the Nest
« on: November 23, 2014, 03:46:00 PM »
Hi from San Antonio.  My nephew, Hollis, is a member and has a 1980 Eagle 4dr sedan.  All original that has sat in a garage from 1997 to 2014.  It runs rough.  I have heard that the carb is a bear to work on and can be replace by a Motorcraft 2100 or 2150.  This is Hollis's first vehicle and I would like to get it up and running well enough for a 16 year old driver.  Time is an issue so I was thinking of just replacing the carb.  I understand 2100/2150 can be had in most junk yards.  Is there any major changes required when swapping the carbs.  Also most of the rebuilds I see are non-smog will that be an issue?  Thanks in advance.

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
Re: New to the Nest
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014, 04:17:54 PM »
That carb is easy to work on the original i mean. It is also a non feedback or should be. I would rebuild it /fix it. Also check for vac leaks. It most likely has rubber lines older than your son by 2x.

Manitowoc WI

Offline Amc1320

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 48
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2014, 04:42:26 PM »
What he said,  those carbs are pretty simple pre feedback and can be quite reliable

Check each and every vacuum line, there is about a mile of them. One of those leaking will make it run rough for sure,

If you do go motorcraft, I did, you will also need an adapter plate and a way to modify the linkage. The motorcrafts do work well but the easiest fix for you might be to rebuild, or at least clean up, the one you have.
Rob c
84 Eagle Limited Wagon (driven everyday)
81 Eagle Kammback
81 Spirit (undergoing surgery)
83 Spirit (parts car giving it all to keep the rest going)
Manchester, TN

Offline cromagjeff

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2014, 05:35:32 PM »
Thanks foe the replies.  I will start with the vac lines.  What motorcraft did you go with?  2150 or 2100? 

Offline Billman

• Lurking again
  • Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2014, 06:22:05 PM »
Most are 2150's but the adapter that is available at your local part store is not a perfect fit. I'm running two of them on my kids cars, one has a gronk kit (available on e-bay) the other has a Mr. Gasket on a junkyard carb. The big thing with these cars is vacuum leaks. I have removed all the old lines and replaced with new only the necessary systems. Use the Den to research the full system and decide what you need for your area, snow, mud/ city, highway/ crawler, street etc. Some are going with a TBI off a 4.3 but that's a different story for a different day. Check the intake/ exhaust bolts for leakage before you toss a carb on, they are prone to loosening up and the previous owner might have adjusted the carb to compensate for the vacuum leaks
1982 SX/4
1983 SX/4
1983 wagonProject
1984 wagon DD
1996 Jeep
2007  Caliber
2004 Silverado

Offline Amc1320

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 48
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2014, 06:28:46 PM »
They are about the same, there is a whole section on here about the upgrade. They need to be modified a bit witht the right size jets to make them right.

It really made mine run great but I'm not sure it was just the carb as I also switched to an HEI distributor, got rid of the computer and eliminated all those hoses. I only have about three vacuum hoses now, one for spark advance from carb, one for 4wd and one for my guage and AC controls.

I like simpler

Rob c
84 Eagle Limited Wagon (driven everyday)
81 Eagle Kammback
81 Spirit (undergoing surgery)
83 Spirit (parts car giving it all to keep the rest going)
Manchester, TN

Offline captspillane

• The Perkiomen Eagle Sanctuary
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 137
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2014, 10:03:53 PM »
The Carter is a huge pain in the butt. The only carb that is worse is the 2150. I don't wish either of them on my worst enemy. The Carter gets better fuel mileage, warms up smoother, and doesn't surge and over rev like the M2150. Its also cheaper and more reliable in the sense that a Carter can always be fiddled with good enough to limp home. The carter is in constant need of attention however. It is also much harder to tune. Quite a few people have just given up on the Carter even though it is slightly "better." Both suck.

If you do put a M2150 on the intake, do not use the Mr Gasket brand adaptor. It has the right holes but it also has several more holes that you don't need. A pair of those extra holes go right through the gasket sealing surface, leaving a gaping hole out the side of your intake. You can smush a large chunk of RTV in that void from above to make do for awhile, but its not permaneant.
Currently Inspected and Insured as of Jan 2013:
-1985 Eagle Station Wagon 258 T5 Stickshift
-1980 Eagle Station Wagon 258 Auto Fuel-injected with GM TBI

Minor Repairs Underway:
-1982 Eagle SX4 258 T5
-1981 Kammback 2.5L Iron Duke T5

Restoration Efforts Near Completion:
-1982 SX4- 401 NV3550
-1983 SX4- 4.5 MPI NSG370 (6 Speed)

Restoration Efforts Underway:
-1985 SW- 4.0 MPI AX15
-1982 SX4- 4.0 AW4
-1981 SX4- SD33T NV4500 (Turbodiesel 5 speed)

Future Rescue Efforts- '85 Maroon SW, '87 Limited SW, '84 Limited SW, '87 4 door Sedan, '81 2 door Sedan, '88 White SW, '77 4 door Hornet, '74 2 door Hornet, '79 Spirit AMX, '81 Kammback.

RIP- Red '81 SX4, '84 4dr Sedan, '84 SW, '81 SW, '80 Spirit, '83 SW, '83 4dr Sedan

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2014, 10:16:54 PM »
AMC1320, that's a beautiful engine bay!
1983 AMC Eagle SX/4 - Penny

Offline JayRamb

• ELLA THE EAGLE & EDWIN THE EAGLE
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • AMC passion for over 32 years. BIG advocate!
    • UPDATED!!  1967 Rambler Rebel weebly website
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2014, 10:54:47 AM »
I overhauled my two Eagles BBD Carters, soaked them for 24hrs in solution, carb solution and put in a kit...ran beautifully.
Jayson H.
Best HWY Mileage of 87 Eagle:  26.2 MPG

Believer in AMSOIL & Seafoam
1987 Garnet Red Eagle Wagon: 70,500 miles
1967 Rambler Rebel 4 Door 290 V8 (original family car) Marina Aqua 142K miles
1985 Eagle Wagon in Autumn Brown 74,800 miles as my daily driver
SOLD 1984 Black Eagle Limited w/Tach & gauge cluster: 245,100 miles SOLD

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2014, 12:08:00 PM »
I used to race Dodges and we were restricted to the size of carb we could run. I used the BBD from a 318 on pretty much everything so I learned the tricks as I went. I like the adjustable metering rod version but not the computer-carb although I can make do with it. I first modded a Chev 194 six to take one then some Ford inline sixes. It was always cooperative. I just dug up my Carter carbs repair manual (4 bbl and maybe 2 bbl) from the stack of automotive books I have.
   I'm getting ready to sell off all my books soon ('38, '46?, '51 Motors manuals, Toyota diesels from the '80s still new in wrap, Chiltons truck repair and some others)
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2014, 03:05:34 AM »
Hi i have had a 2100, from an AMC 304 on my slightly modified 258 since 01. Outside of adjusting the idle once or twice, I have not touched it. Car runs great. Only issue, I never got the choke quite right, but here in the south, not such a big deal. Don't know about the offshore 2150, I'd be wary of it. The adapter I used was from Offenhauser, a good piece, don't even know if they are still in business. Having said that, a nonfeedback BBD is also a good carb, and, if you really want to be different, a late 60's/early seventies Stromberg 2bbl, as used on Mopar 318's will also work, though you have to come up with a custom linkage. Easiest for now, rebuild your BBD. thanks gz

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk