News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 24, 2024, 08:11:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Old member back after a REALLY long hiatus....  (Read 4857 times)

Offline Obscurity

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 22
Old member back after a REALLY long hiatus....
« on: November 02, 2014, 07:57:26 PM »
Hey all, some of you here might remember me from several years ago.....its been a while, so I figured I'd kick myself back into the Hatchling section....  :P It was SO HARD to find you guys!!!

I've been gone a long time.....very long story short: vehicle accident, neck problems, medication problems, physical mobility problems, had to leave my career.....etc basically, I was varying degrees of sick for several years....pretty much recovered now, though I have to be relatively kind to myself when it comes to working on the Eagle,used to be able to do a full day of working on it, now I need to rest often....so be it.... right! Also other things have happened....got married (bonus...Hubby loves the Eagle too!!), have a great dog, moved back to my home Province. Now....moving back to my home province has been a barrier unto itself as far as the Eagle has been concerned. Couldn't afford to move it, and it wasn't ready to pull a trailer across Canada thanks to the somewhat incomplete engine rebuild that I had done out in BC.

Fast forward over 2 years after moving, finally got the cash to bring my Eagle to me (well...sorta, had to force the issue a little....lol). Other problem......NB has some pretty stringent inspection rules (BC had....well....pretty much none). Need to get her road-legal as cheap as possible, as quick as possible, since my hubby and I need to have two vehicles on the road due to his new work schedule (which was my excuse to spend the money to get the Eagle here :) ).
I've been out of the loop for a bit everybody, going to have some REALLY dumb questions, my memory is a little shot, so I'm going to be trying to refresh myself on as much as possible.

Current things on the ASAP to-do list (in no particular order):
New battery, and some fresh gas (getting both today, put them in tomorrow hopefully)
Finish replacing the obnoxiously, intrusively loud Cherry Bomb muffler (will do once the rain stops and I have light to do it, dropped the "bomb" new one needs to be installed)
Replace the "shelf" under the dashboard (it should be in the back....I'd better check on that!)
New tires (or used with good tread)
Tweak the carb.....got a new one on there and it is a PITA, keeps running rich
Inner rocker panels (VERY scared of this one....I can't fix it myself, and cash is tight....could keep the Eagle off the road)
Undercoating! (There is SO much salt used here it'll rot in a week of just sitting....)
Inspection....the mystery....will it pass? Probably not until those rocker panels are done....
All the while, keeping fingers crossed that the two years of sitting at a friend's house in BC didn't damage things! (was told some work and upkeep would be done....didn't happen...should say former friend).

Anyway all, glad to be back, life sucked for a bit there, but it is getting better, and improved vastly when the Eagle landed in my driveway again. Going to need some help from all of you to get some of my list tackled and getting her good to go again :) Looking forward to it!!!! Missed you guys, but was a little too bummed without my Beast to hang out......

And, just because I'm happy to be back, and because I love this smiley:  :blob1:
"In order to attain the impossible, one must attempt the absurd" -Miguel de Cervantes

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 213
Re: Old member back after a REALLY long hiatus....
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2014, 08:51:44 PM »
Welcome back and good luck getting your Eagle back on the road.  I always love your avatar pic!
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2014, 09:21:16 PM »
I remember your old thread. It's probably still around here somewhere! Did I see you post on Facebook too?
1983 AMC Eagle SX/4 - Penny

Offline Mernsy

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 13
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2014, 10:13:40 PM »
I'm in Norton NB, if you need parts or help, let me know.

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2014, 01:15:06 AM »
long time no see.

Manitowoc WI

Offline Obscurity

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 22
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2014, 05:16:43 AM »
I actually checked it out, and my old thread is still here!!! YAY! Going to be helpful to remember what I did to the engine! Yeah, I posted on FB as well....I was SO excited, I think I posted within 5 minutes of the car getting here.
I'll let you know if I need some help Mernsy......I'll likely need some. At very least you'll be able to let me know what might be let slide in inspections on an Eagle......though I doubt my rocker panels will be let go. Got a couple of lines on welders who might be able to do it.....but have to get the muffler on first to do a rebel-run to wherever I'm getting the work done (good luck in this weather eh? I'm sure you woke up to some snow too!).
Gotta say, I was pretty alarmed when I tried to find the Nest and it was gone.....took a few tries, found a few different forums before I made my way here. Glad that things are still up and running! So glad you're all here!
"In order to attain the impossible, one must attempt the absurd" -Miguel de Cervantes

Offline Mernsy

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 13
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2014, 06:27:04 AM »
It's great to hve you back with us. :occasion14:
Did you move to the Saint John area?   

Offline Obscurity

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 22
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2014, 11:09:29 AM »
Yep, back to Saint John. This is home.....out west was.....well.....not home lol.
So.......how hard are they on rusty inner rockers anyway? Guessing it'll be a fail :P

Offline Mernsy

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 13
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2014, 06:39:51 PM »
I don't think you can pass with holes in the body or floor.
If you get stuck there's a guy in Sussex with a small shop who can fab up some new ones. He's in the old Brunswick Lab building on Church Ave.

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2014, 07:55:13 PM »
Welcome back. I remember your work injury and was wondering where you went off to. Glad to see you back. I don't do rust, so I'm out. Good luck.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline Obscurity

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 22
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2014, 09:05:47 PM »
I don't think you can pass with holes in the body or floor.
If you get stuck there's a guy in Sussex with a small shop who can fab up some new ones. He's in the old Brunswick Lab building on Church Ave.
Good to know....not sure if I trust my buddies to do it.....hopefully I can get the muffler on really soon (grrrrr......reducers....pain in the...), and worst case, I'll do a rebel run to Sussex to see that guy (I'm pretty sure I'd make it without getting pulled over....maybe lol).

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 477
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2014, 09:14:07 PM »
Welcome back.  Check out our AMC Eagles Den Facebook page too.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk