News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 23, 2024, 04:10:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Florida Screamin' Eagle now in New Jersey  (Read 3686 times)

Offline jBUSCHHOFF

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
Florida Screamin' Eagle now in New Jersey
« on: October 21, 2014, 04:43:32 AM »
Hello All,

I am a proud New Owner of a 1984 Eagle Wagon Sport, Automatic with 93,100 Original Miles (Now 94,200) on the Original Engine and Transmission and No Rust or Bondo. I flew down to Florida to pick her up and was in love when I saw her.

I expected some problems and knew I would have to make some repairs.  Only thing I didn't count on after buying her was getting hit  by a full length of tire tread .  About 100 miles into my trip back to NJ the tread took out the Fan Clutch and the thermostat burnt out.  I replaced them and was still over heating.  The Mechanic didn't Burp the Cooling System and I realized it about halfway home and stopping before it overheated several times.  Well anyway I made it home safe 1,000 miles away.

The Previous owner did many repairs,  setup the lifted suspension and tracked down extra parts and trim. A lot of money in receipts. 

I have a list of work I plan on doing in the next couple weeks. Any Help would be appreciated as I am new to AMCs.  I will post specific questions in their respective categories.  I need to pass inspection so I don't have to deal with the restriction on mileage for Historic Plates.

- The Car is Missing the Catalytic Converter and the Heater Core.
- The Steering has a lot of play.
- The Idler Pulley need Replacing.  It's bearing is going but not making any noise.
- I want to replace the Radiator and Water Pump as a preventative measure.
- The Window Gaskets are falling apart and leak air.  The Sunroof is Caulked closed.
- Power Windows -One window doesn't open and 2 are slow to open and close.
- The power locks open but do not lock.

I will know what parts I need after I get her on a lift this week.

JB

« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 04:48:51 AM by jBUSCHHOFF »
Screamin' Eagle - 1984 Wagon Sport - Automatic
Boy Blue - 2014 Ford Mustang

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
Re: Florida Screamin' Eagle now in New Jersey
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 09:27:16 AM »
Congrats. That sucks about the tire tread incident.
Check the pitman arm and idler arm as a  possible cause in the steering play. These cars have steering boxes like an old Buick. It won't feel firm like a new car. A steering box from a Jeep XJ (Cherokee) or ZJ (Grand Cherokee) is a good upgrade and bolts right in.
My 87 Eagle in used to own had power locks and would do the same thing. I lubed the heck out of everything and still couldn't make them lock. Probably weak solenoids.
Idler pulley is an easy fix.
Goos luck.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 12:26:09 PM »
A wagon with a sunroof. That's a first I've seen! This car has a great look about it. Hope you enjoy it!
1983 AMC Eagle SX/4 - Penny

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 213
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2014, 11:48:01 PM »
Congrats!  Looks like a great car!
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline HornetRWB

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • just ramblin'
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 03:39:39 AM »
Looks good! :) & Welcome!
^
cRazy Finnish AMCer...
- AMC Eagle Sport STW 1980 258cid+TF998 Silver
- AMC Hornet SST 2D 1970 343cid+T10 Red-White-Blue
- AMC Rebel SST 2D HT 1969 360cid+TF727 Midnight blue
- Jeep Cherokee Limited XJ 4.0L+autom Black
www.amccf.com

Offline milliard431

• Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 25
    • Robs1980eagle
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2014, 05:09:07 PM »
How did you sneak that one out of my back yard? Congrats on the find and welcome. Where in Fl. was it?

Offline jBUSCHHOFF

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2014, 10:16:38 PM »
I found it on Craigslist for Daytona.  Its in great shape and the engine runs like a champ,  I keep peeling out on good treads,

I just did a ton of work to get it ready for winter.  All Moog, Fel-pro & A-1 Cardone.
I replaced the -water pump  -heater core/hoses   -idler pulley    - transmission pan gasket -oil pan gasket   -crank shaft seal   -steering gear box   - steering pump   -pitman arm   -idler arm  -inner & outer tie rods   - wheel alignment   -battery.

I still have a handful of things to do before the snow.
I need to fix the heater controls or something.  Its very hard to move and very finicky. It will blow warm air when I jiggle the controls. 
I have an auto transmission leak from the front and from the rear transfer case seal.  I'm not sure what gaskets I'm going to need.

Any info would be appreciated
thanks

jlb
Screamin' Eagle - 1984 Wagon Sport - Automatic
Boy Blue - 2014 Ford Mustang

Offline drock87

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 11
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2014, 08:12:19 PM »
I love it! Same color as mine (from the factory...its a darker shade of silver now), and a Sport to boot!
My list of my cars/toys (or toys at my disposal!)

1985 AMC Eagle Sportwagon
2017 Mercedes-Benz C300 4Matic
1993 Mercedes-Benz 500SL
2016 Triumph Bonneville
 1962 Cruisers Inc Mahogany Outboard

I like to to tell people my Eagle is like a Ferrari. It's quirky, tempermental, border-line exotic, and something you don't see everyday.  See? Makes perfect sense....

Click for Akron, Ohio Forecast" height="90" width="160

Offline TwoEaglesForMe

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 12
  • Greg
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2014, 08:15:39 PM »
Glad to see another Jersey member join up.  Welcome now there are 4 of us I think..... What exit are you from?  I have lots of parts as I had 5 Eagles at one time or another.  Lemme know what you need.  Greg

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk