News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 23, 2024, 04:07:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Greetings!!!  (Read 2707 times)

Offline OkieEagle

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
Greetings!!!
« on: August 02, 2014, 12:29:26 AM »
 :eaglebig: Sooo... I bought an eagle.. new absolutely nothing about them before I found mine, and honestly the price tag was my only incentive to buy. But, only a week in and having only freshened up the cooling system.. I'm completely and hopelessly smitten with my new hatch.
My initial intentions with the Eagle were to have a reliable daily on the cheap that would be fun to drive, and now... I am seriously close to having an entire street/mild Baja build planned.

While I am technically inclined, and I would say an intermediate level mechanic; I knew from the get that I would need some support on the way. Enter amceaglesden.com, I have already found this site incredibly useful, and I can't thank everyone enough for keeping this site up.

1984 AMC Eagle 4.2 I6 and a healthy coat of Oil caked on from a bad valve cover gasket..

Offline rollguy

• Turbo Diesel Eagle
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 84
  • Southern California
Re: Greetings!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2014, 01:46:53 AM »
Welcome, and yes you will find the folks here very nice and helpful.  This is one of the best automotive forums on the www and I am happy to be a part of it as well.  We like photos here, so please post them with reckless abandon  ;D
1980 Eagle Turbodiesel Wagon (only 2 known to exist as of 2008)- 7-7-2011 Flight to it's new nest @ Rambler Ranch
1983 Eagle Wagon  Tan over Copper
1982 Eagle SX4 "ALTREGL"  (avatar photo)
1982 Eagle 4 Door Sedan  Copper over Satin Black
1985 Eagle Sport Wagon October 2007 ROTM (SOLD)
4 Biofuel powered Benzs ('98 E300, '82 300 CD, '82 300 TD (wagon), '80 240 D)
1983 GMC Van (6.2 Diesel)
1985 Mitsubishi pickup (2.3 Turbodiesel)

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2014, 10:21:57 AM »
Welcome to the site.  :occasion14:
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline Orithil

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2014, 01:46:02 PM »
Hey welcome!  These folks have been incredibly helpful, and the eaglepedia is chock full of awesome info too.  Hopefully we'll get to see some pics of the Eagle soon?  We all love some good pictures!

EDIT : Almost forgot about all the cool stuff I've learned off the Eagle's Den Facebook page as well, so if you have a facebook account maybe check that out too!
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 01:47:41 PM by Orithil »

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 213
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2014, 10:58:55 PM »
Welcome!  Pictures please  ;D

And hopefully its just the valve cover gasket.  If its the old plastic valve cover that's on it.  It probably needs a new aluminum valve cover rather than the plastic version.  Its a very easy swap.  Good luck and enjoy your new Eagle!!
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2014, 02:50:31 AM »
'84 has the plastic cover and it could be warped or cracked. That's why I went to aluminum on mine.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline OkieEagle

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2014, 12:40:59 AM »
Thanks for all the responses! I'm selling off a truck tomorrow to supplement this little build. After some poking and prodding around the 7000 or so vacuum lines I've decided on a few things. 166,000 miles on the eagle as it sits. The tranny shifts weird, the 4x4 won't engage (probably vacuum),  and honestly I have no confidence in the engine. That having been said... I found a 258 long block with 85k original out of a jeep (think i will need to transfer oil pan and pump?), I'm dead set on a 4.0 head swap (with crowers baja beast cam and lifters), and I'm gonna tuff it out and try to rebuild the old 998 and transfer case. In addition I believe a gentleman that goes by gronk may have some 2150mc's for $?
I understand that it's a pretty cut and dry build (as far as drive train is concerned) but I'm afraid my eagle didn't come with factory a/c... I live in the middle of oklahoma.... this is not funny... I will need guidance.. lol
Any input/corrections would be appreciated. I intend on starting a tear down/build thread this weekend (with alot of pictures; including the first incision).
Wish me luck!!!

Offline maddog

• a long haired redneck country boy
  • Thumbs Up 50
  • AMC Eagle the original crossover
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2014, 07:23:32 PM »
yes you will need to swap the pan and pump before you can put the jeep motor in. as for the a/c problem I would recommend finding a early to mid 80's jeep Cherokee that had the 4.2 in it and see if you can modify it to work in your Eagle and considering I am originally from Oklahoma I wish you luck with that going smoothly. I would also like to give you a late welcome forum.
1998 CHEVY S10 (DAILY DRIVER/PROJECT) INTIMIDATIN'
1980 AMC EAGLE WAGON (PROJECT) EAGLE EYES
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=30758.0
1983 AMC EAGLE LIMITED WAGON-SURVIVOR (gone)
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=32372.0

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 213
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2014, 07:19:17 PM »
I've done some of those same mods to my Kammback.  Rebuilt the 998.  Swapped in a Jeep engine, and yes you have to swap over the pan and pump.  I swapped in a 4.0 liter head, makes a big difference, along with the cam swap. 

I have not swapped in A/C into my car.  I would suggest finding a donor car with A/C and grab all the parts you need.  Good luck!!
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline OkieEagle

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2014, 03:42:43 PM »
Hey guys! Ive been stifled this past week with work, but im finally starting on the build. I checked all my specs and it doesnt look like im going to have to rebuild the whole motor after all.
As of now it looks like im going to install a crower baja beast stage 2 $ 147.99 some new lifters a 4.0 head and hei ignition and see where that gets me.  Ill be starting a build thread under project cars soon. Thanks for all the input. Pics coming tomorrow.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk