News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 17, 2024, 02:42:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Looking to set up my 85 eagle with wheels and tires of this nature  (Read 9568 times)

Offline TEagle85

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 5
image by kadar5551, on Flickr

So the one above is mine.  Trying to dumb down the lift and swap the tires. Not too knowledgable in the suspension, wheel, and tire department.  It currently is lifted with just spacers and blocks (picked it up like that). Id like to remove those to bring it back down to stock hight. Or replace the coils to bring it to the appropriate hight for tires like these.

4516400448_f4424ebce3_z by kadar5551, on Flickr

anyone have any idea on wheel and tire dimensions of that wagon?  And what wheels would work best. I was looking at 15x7 on tirerack but I could be going off track.

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
Re: Looking to set up my 85 eagle with wheels and tires of this nature
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 01:25:53 PM »
Let's figure out what you have first. It would be safe to assume you have blocks on the rear, do you know how thick they are? What was done to the front? Just spacer on top of the spring? What size wheels and tires do you have now?

The only thing I don't like about the other Eagle you posted, is that the wheels stick out too far for my liking. It would appear that the tires would hit the fenders when articulating.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 02:50:39 PM »
Yeah, you'd need the lift in order for those tires not to destroy your fender flares! Looks cool though.
1983 AMC Eagle SX/4 - Penny

Offline Mernsy

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 13
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 03:43:04 PM »
With the tires sticking out like that I'd worry about rocks, gravel and stones hitting the side of the car.

I also don't like the look. That's just my opinion...yours may vary!  :occasion14:

Offline TEagle85

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 04:27:41 PM »
Gravel and rocks was a concern, I just like the wider tires. Those might be a bit much but I plan to get some new steel rims 15in, and something a little wider then stock for the rubber.
Ill have to get back to you by tonight or tomorrow morning with all the dimensions.  Mostly just want to dumb the hight down but stick with an aggressive on off road tire.    Thanks guys.   

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2014, 05:27:24 PM »

So the one above is mine.  Trying to dumb down the lift and swap the tires. Not too knowledgable in the suspension, wheel, and tire department.  It currently is lifted with just spacers and blocks (picked it up like that). Id like to remove those to bring it back down to stock hight. Or replace the coils to bring it to the appropriate hight for tires like these.

4516400448_f4424ebce3_z by kadar5551, on Flickr

anyone have any idea on wheel and tire dimensions of that wagon?  And what wheels would work best. I was looking at 15x7 on tirerack but I could be going off track.

That wagon looks like it lost it's rear shaft. It looks like it has dubs on it which are tearing up the wheelbearings and altering the steering/suspension from OEM. It also makes a MUCH wider turning radius.

AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2014, 10:00:08 PM »
My plan is a 1" wheel spacer for the front wheels, 2" for the rear. This will even them out (stock the rear wheels are inset a bit more than the front).

After that I'm snagging some decent looking Jeep rims and getting a good looking semi-aggressive tread (all seasons probably).

The will scrape a little bit if I don't shave the fenders, bit the stance will look really good and not overdone. I had offset Jeep rims on my last Eagle and it looked good, a bit more would have looked succulently fabulous.

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2014, 10:54:37 PM »
Spacers suck! Why not get wheels that are centered to the rim in the pattern you want for a Ford 2wd?
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2014, 08:05:54 AM »
They can suck, but if you can't find the wheels you want with the proper offset then they certainly become a bit more useful ;)

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2014, 09:06:11 AM »
Depending on where you live, those tires may not pass inspection. In PA at least, it is illegal for tires to stick out past the fenders.

Mine just barely pass: https://www.flickr.com/photos/79599041@N05/15060324189/
1982 AMC Eagle SX/4 (Work In Progress)

Photobucket Album: http://s1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff479/Baskinator/

Offline Mernsy

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 13
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2014, 09:36:53 AM »
In PA at least, it is illegal for tires to stick out past the fenders.

Should be illegal everywhere. Not only does it look stupid but it can be dangerous. Unless you don't care about the windshield and paint of the car behind you.

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2014, 09:51:17 AM »
Many states don't have any safety inspection at all. My brother lives in Ohio and constantly takes funny pictures of cars and trucks missing bumpers, w/ rotted out fenders, etc. looking like they would fall apart at any moment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_inspection_in_the_United_States

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2014, 12:55:14 PM »
If you change the offset of the wheel centerline you alter the steering, handling, tire wear (in a bad way). Spacers are known to come loose at bad times too.

Offline Amc1320

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 48
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2014, 07:22:24 PM »
baskinator - what size are your tires? they look great!

Rob c
84 Eagle Limited Wagon (driven everyday)
81 Eagle Kammback
81 Spirit (undergoing surgery)
83 Spirit (parts car giving it all to keep the rest going)
Manchester, TN

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2014, 01:09:23 PM »
Thanks! They are nearly stock, 205/75R15, but the wheels are quite wide. I think it's something like 7.5" , so it really widens the tires. It gives it a great stance, and the aggressive tread on my General Grabbers makes them look larger than they actually are. They do however rub on the fender and fender flares, even after I've already cut them back somewhat and put new strut rod bushings in. It did not make a noticeable difference in how the car drives or steers, and these tires have excellent traction in any weather.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk