News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 23, 2024, 03:16:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: First Post - 84 Eagle 4 dr  (Read 2793 times)

Offline Bobla

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
First Post - 84 Eagle 4 dr
« on: June 19, 2014, 03:04:00 PM »
Ok so hi to everyone.  I recently received my son's 84 Eagle via motor transport.  It has been in storage for 6 or 7 years.  He is currently in New Zealand til the end of summer and we want to get the Eagle operational so he will have a car to use when he gets back to the States.  I'm just cleaning things up at this point.  Haven't tried to start it yet. It was running when he stored it, but with significant oil leak underneath, probably rear main seal.  Anyway I am going to be looking for some replacement parts over the summer.

Currently I need a hinge for the rear hatchback door.  Not sure where to look?
Bobla - Williamsburg, Virginia
84 - Eagle - 4dr Wagon

Offline eagleman

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
Re: First Post - 84 Eagle 4 dr
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2014, 04:56:23 PM »
I would suggest contacting Vangremlin. He is a long time member on the Den and he has a set of the hinges you are looking for. There very nice and he has them priced well below what their worth. He also has them listed on ebay. Have gotten several parts from him and never a problem. As far as your oil leak. Before I replaced the rear main seal I'd have a good hard look at the valve cover. If it is still the plastic one you can bet its leaking. They all did or do.
Turkeys walk.Eagles fly!!!

Offline Bobla

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2014, 02:05:08 PM »
Thanks for the  suggestions.  Am in contact with Vangremlin and looks like the hinges are just what I need.  I ran the car yesterday and it started and ran pretty well.  Rough idle with some stalling but generally pretty smooth.  There has been some "work" done on the engine as there are a number of disconnected and plugged vacuum lines to sort out.  Probably only ran it for about 30 minutes and also a quick around the block as it is not registered for the road, but not a lot of oil yet so will have to see.

New question:  When looking for parts online they often ask is it a base or limited version.  The emblem on the side says "Eagle" with "Sport" below.  The VIN says it is a Canadian 6 cylinder 4-dr wagon.  I looked around the forums here some but did not come across a version noted as "Sport" vs "base" or "limited"?
84 - Eagle - 4dr Wagon

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2014, 05:18:02 PM »
Welcome. Those are just trim packages. It really doesn't matter for mechanical parts. Sports have blacked out trim and different wheels, Limiteds have power door locks, power seats, power windows and "fancy" seats.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2014, 07:55:20 PM »
Limited actually only meant Leather Seats. I had a Limited with zero other options.
1983 AMC Eagle SX/4 - Penny

Offline Bobla

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2014, 08:43:22 PM »
Thanks for the replies.  It's really nice to get quick answers to simple questions.
84 - Eagle - 4dr Wagon

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 477
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2014, 10:03:20 PM »
Welcome Bobba.  As mentioned, the different trim levels really have little to do with mechanical parts.  Are you sure its not the plastic valve cover that is leaking.  That is a very common issue and can be fixed by obtaining an aluminum aftermarket valve cover.  For fitment on '81 - '86 six cylinder engines.  We do have the factory parts manuals within the Eaglepedia so can check to see what parts are the same or interchange with the 2WD models.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk