News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 22, 2024, 11:57:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: I messed up- Eagle Shifts bad now. HELP  (Read 2034 times)

Offline jsherrod

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
I messed up- Eagle Shifts bad now. HELP
« on: June 13, 2014, 09:00:32 PM »
Okay I need help and I can't figure out how to post pictures on here so bear with me.  Essentially I adjusted a screw and now my eagle shifts really late.

The thing I adjusted is as follows--- It is on the driver side at front of tranny.. (right above the stock exhaust bend) It is roughly a 19mm nut with a bolt running through the middle that is aprox 4in long (this bolt has a square head)

After I adjusted this the car shifts really late--- Not only does it shift late it seems like it want to drop into overdrive really  easily... 

sorry for the vague description. I am very mechanically inclined but this is my first eagle :)  if there is any more information that you want just ask....

1984 amc eagle wagon 4x4 4.2l 6cyl

Offline DaemonForce

• Grease Magnet
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 8
Re: I messed up- Eagle Shifts bad now. HELP
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2014, 09:06:32 PM »
The 998 has a lockup feature, not an overdrive. Is that what you're hearing? I can't remember if it kicks in after 35 or 45MPH but it's somewhere in there.
1983 Limited
AMC 258C {R2:27.Jun.13}
Carter 2681 {R2:28.Oct.12}
TorqueFlite A998 {R6: -20.Apr.12}
NP129 {R2:28.Apr.12}
M35-273 {???}
Compression: 0
Corrected Idle: 0RPM

Rebuild:
???

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2014, 10:17:49 PM »
you adjusted the tranny band. there is a torque rating to it somthing in inch pounds. than loosen a certain an amount of turns

Manitowoc WI

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2014, 10:20:09 PM »

Manitowoc WI

Offline jsherrod

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2014, 11:08:56 AM »
Well it was definitely the tranny band FRONT that i adjusted... i will try to follow the pedia on adjusting it and hopefully it straightens my shifting trouble

thanks

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2014, 06:14:08 AM »
You may have jammed the passing gear lever in the process.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk