News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 23, 2024, 02:57:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Saying hello to the Eagle Den, and a Electrical Question  (Read 3739 times)

Offline TheGoldenEagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • A Montana Eagle Owner
Saying hello to the Eagle Den, and a Electrical Question
« on: June 09, 2014, 10:04:25 PM »
 :eaglebig:
Okay so i just got thius pretty looking thing, and recently had to put new windows in on the passenger side, because somebody smashed them  in the lot it was in, and while taking the passenger side door apart i accidently broke the speaker, and need to replace it, is there anything i should know about installing an aftermarket speak to this kind of car? I have seen some how to's on you tube but the speakers don't mount in the same way at all. Just wanted to through that out before i try and go in there and break something.
It started right up by the way, after being in a lot for 7 months, just needed a little jump it runs great!
1987 AMC Eagle LTD (daily driver)

Offline TheGoldenEagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • A Montana Eagle Owner
Re: Saying hello to the Eagle Den, and a Electrical Question
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2014, 10:06:32 PM »

Ooops did the Hyperlink wrong here it is 86'87'

Offline Mernsy

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 13
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2014, 06:34:46 AM »
So, there's still some good ones out there!

Try to find a speaker thin enough to let you roll the window all the way down.

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2014, 01:28:17 PM »
Look in the Cherokees
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2014, 11:06:03 PM »
Same color as my Penny!
1983 AMC Eagle SX/4 - Penny

Offline EagleJoe93

• "You'll know it's me when I roll through your town. I'm gonna ride around in style. I'm gonna drive everybody wild, cause I'll have the only one there is around."
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 14
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2014, 11:55:26 AM »
I am in the process of upgrading my speakers with some aftermarkets as well. The speakers in an Eagle are 5.25" speakers and for the front doors, with the window down, I think 2.25" is the deepest you can go without hitting or rubbing against anything (based on my measurements). I got some MTX Terminators for the front and I already had some vintage Sony speakers with built in metal grills to use for the back. I'll be using the factory grills for the front.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon Limited. Work in progress. Most likely have the only one in town. :)

Offline TheGoldenEagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • A Montana Eagle Owner
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2014, 01:21:45 PM »

Anything i should know about installing a new head unit into this type of older setup? I need a new head unit, i love the old head unit but i recently installed a replacement speaker, not even aftermarket just one out of an old Mazda and it took too much power and now the left side isn't producing audio, and i ruled out a bad connection. The previous owner used to have an amp and 15" sub-woofer set up in the back, and i'm hoping to get back to the same kind of setup but first i need to fix this issue, i am hoping it is just the new speaker is just drawing a little bit too much power and is cutting out the left side...

Offline TheGoldenEagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • A Montana Eagle Owner
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2014, 02:35:19 PM »
Actually i recant that statement i'm getting nothing from the left side at all and the connections are solid,, i even redid each one behind the Stock header... now i am real concerned...

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2014, 03:04:36 PM »
Do you have the under dash amp? (above glovebox)
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline TheGoldenEagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • A Montana Eagle Owner
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2014, 04:11:25 PM »
Hmm not too sure. I'll have to go and take it apart again, see this is the issue that is bugging me though is the stock speakers had those electrical clips, so i cut and disconnected behind the clips to attactch the 'new' speaker, that is when the left audio cut out, making me think a power draw issue. But maybe i accidentally in removing the harness that leads to the stock speaker, gotten rid of something that acts as a capacitor of sorts? i hope i didn't make a real mistake by cutting that. The short amount of wire after it was corroded to heck..

Offline TheGoldenEagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • A Montana Eagle Owner
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2014, 05:58:41 PM »
Man these connections are so bad... i don't know what the issue is, i got behind it and re soldered every single wire connecting to the Head Unit, and im still only getting 3 of the 4 speakers to work with some considerable buzz.....Would i be able to find these type of clips that go into the head unit anywhere? Or are these outdated obscures type. The Metal in the clips must be corroded or damaged because each wire is getting as much conductivity as it can.....

Offline TheGoldenEagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • A Montana Eagle Owner
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2014, 10:09:53 PM »
A question EagleJoe if you might be able to answer it.
Could you point me a to a good place to find a car manual for the wagon?
There seems to be an indoor wiring issue, as the connections behind the Stereo are solid there is a connection issue else where, and i'd like to know what i'm doing before tearing the thing apart looking in the wrong areas. it seems it goes away from the speaker mount and connects back to the rest of the Electrical hookups if the Door Locks and windows, and Door Mirror adjusters, then runs through a capacitor of sorts. Connection seems solid, is there a chanche there is a fuse somehwere inside the door that needs replaced? because the rest of the electronics work just fine..

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2014, 01:00:49 AM »
MR251 (I think) is the factory manual. I bought one brand new from Dyement of Chrysler in '98. Don't know if they are available still. Also bought the electrical diagram for my '83.

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 477
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2014, 09:03:39 PM »
Check out the Den's Eaglepedia for wiring diagrams.  I am slowly, slowly getting a TSM in there as well.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk