News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 06, 2024, 11:09:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: XJ -> Eagle : Parts that can be used?  (Read 11363 times)

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
XJ -> Eagle : Parts that can be used?
« on: June 03, 2014, 07:47:20 AM »
Howdy all,

Bought a 94 Cherokee (XJ) for the drive train and I want to haul off as many parts as I can for the Eagle. The XJ is pretty gutted but I do know there are some things that can carry over.

Parts that come to mind quickly that can be used are :

wiper arms
steering box for a better turning radius?
steering wheel

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 213
Re: XJ -> Eagle : Parts that can be used?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 07:58:58 AM »
Some Cherokees have the overhead console that can be modified slightly to work in an Eagle.  They are more common in the Grand Cherokees though. 
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 08:03:36 AM »
I think this one did but it looks like it was taken out.

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 09:33:35 AM »
Just to clarify, you won't get a better turning radius with the XJ box. Just tighter feeling  steering.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2014, 09:55:43 AM »
That's what I want. ZJ has the better steering box, I think, of them all. Don't have to twist the steering wheel 400 rotations to do a corner.

Can the whole steering column be used do you know? I kind of want the steering wheel since it feels better in my hands, but I might go loot a junkyard for one that is color matched and not worn to snot.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 09:57:36 AM by Nightpath »

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2014, 01:21:53 AM »
I'm not sure about the length, but the wiper switch and high beam are on the XJ column. It has no rag joint after '86 so it feels tighter. Also, it has a slip joint in the middle of newer ones to adjust length. I have a spare grey Comanche column shift one for AW4 with tilt, cruise, etc.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2014, 02:02:43 PM »
There are a few little things, but some I'm not positive about. I only had an XJ for a few months.

If you have the pushbutton hatch opener, I think that carries on from Gremlin/Pacer/Kammback hatches. I half think the cluster is the same dimensions. I have suspicions the HVAC controls swap.

Keep the rear springs, if you rebuild the leaves with the Eagle top leaf you get a lift. The circuit for the rear defogger is like the early push button AMC Car circuits; before the toggle switch was used.

I know Wagoneer speaker grilles are the same, but I don't know about XJ ones.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2014, 07:28:31 AM »
Does the xj steering column fit into an Eagle? Mine squeals when I turn....pretty annoying.

Also would like to keep the cruise control from the Cherokee. What would I need to do to keep that, splice in the wiring or just swap the steering column?

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2014, 01:11:21 AM »
Not sure on the length, but only the turn signal is the same wiring. The squeal is the horn contact scraping dry brass. Pull the steering wheel and lube it.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2014, 08:10:57 PM »
Any idea if the steering column from the XJ will fit in the Eagle?

Offline rollguy

• Turbo Diesel Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 84
  • Southern California
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2014, 08:22:03 PM »
Any idea if the steering column from the XJ will fit in the Eagle?
I just went through a steering column rebuild/ repair on an 89 Wrangler.  I used a column from an Eagle, and found out that it is a different length.  I ended up just using the parts from the dash to the wheel (collar, switch housing, internal parts).  All of this should be the same.  The mast jacket and the shaft are (or maybe better said "may be") different lengths, so just the outer parts will carry over.  There is a good chance that the shaft is different as well where it connects to the U-joint.....Rich
1980 Eagle Turbodiesel Wagon (only 2 known to exist as of 2008)- 7-7-2011 Flight to it's new nest @ Rambler Ranch
1983 Eagle Wagon  Tan over Copper
1982 Eagle SX4 "ALTREGL"  (avatar photo)
1982 Eagle 4 Door Sedan  Copper over Satin Black
1985 Eagle Sport Wagon October 2007 ROTM (SOLD)
4 Biofuel powered Benzs ('98 E300, '82 300 CD, '82 300 TD (wagon), '80 240 D)
1983 GMC Van (6.2 Diesel)
1985 Mitsubishi pickup (2.3 Turbodiesel)

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2014, 10:17:02 PM »
The XJ column won't fit the Wrangler jeeps at all, neither will the Eagles fit the Wranglers.

The Eagle ones were based off GM, Chrysler used the same design for a while so that's what makes me wonder if the Eagle and XJ will interchange.

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2014, 11:07:07 PM »
XJ ones have a slip joint in the middle.

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2014, 07:11:56 AM »
This slip joint causes it not to fit properly? Or can it be replaced with a part off the Eagle column?

Or am I able to take the electronics (basically the headlight / cruise control / etc) parts off of the XJ and put them on the Eagle?

2 weeks till I get into this swap!

Offline rollguy

• Turbo Diesel Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 84
  • Southern California
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2014, 11:08:04 AM »
This slip joint causes it not to fit properly? Or can it be replaced with a part off the Eagle column?

Or am I able to take the electronics (basically the headlight / cruise control / etc) parts off of the XJ and put them on the Eagle?

2 weeks till I get into this swap!
If the XJ has a GM steering column, then yes the parts should cross over.  Everything else (jacket, shaft etc) should be different (been there, done that).
1980 Eagle Turbodiesel Wagon (only 2 known to exist as of 2008)- 7-7-2011 Flight to it's new nest @ Rambler Ranch
1983 Eagle Wagon  Tan over Copper
1982 Eagle SX4 "ALTREGL"  (avatar photo)
1982 Eagle 4 Door Sedan  Copper over Satin Black
1985 Eagle Sport Wagon October 2007 ROTM (SOLD)
4 Biofuel powered Benzs ('98 E300, '82 300 CD, '82 300 TD (wagon), '80 240 D)
1983 GMC Van (6.2 Diesel)
1985 Mitsubishi pickup (2.3 Turbodiesel)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk