News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 05, 2024, 10:41:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: carb adjustment  (Read 3279 times)

Offline luvmyeagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
carb adjustment
« on: March 30, 2014, 07:38:58 AM »
i just put on a carter non feedback carb and it acts like it needs adjusted some..................could you give me some pointers on adjusting the mixture screws.....choke......the choke should not be completely closed when cold, choke plate open 3/32 to 1/4?   thanks again for your help

Offline Mernsy

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 13
Re: carb adjustment
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2014, 07:42:47 AM »

19835spdsportwagon

Re: carb adjustment
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 03:04:17 PM »
Make sure your choke plate is wide open when the throttle is wide open. Adjust rod if necessary. Set the inner fast idle screw onto the 2nd step to your left from the rear of the carb that's where you set your high idle speed. When you push your foot to the floor it will set the carb at your high idle then you tap the throttle to kick it off and down to curb idle speed.
Set the outer curb idle speed screw so its just touching the stop and turn in maybe a quarter more.
Both idle mixture screws turned out 3 turns should ensure a start.
I used an external tach and a vacuum gauge, so the highest vac reading and idle by adjusting mix screws, then set idle speed. Check timing as my vac needle was a little bouncy and proper timing and mix adjustment brought a steady vac reading of 19" at idle.
So I'm at about 21 degrees timing, 19" vac at idle and my idle speed is steady 680 rpm smmoooth as butter, no pinging with pulling I6 power. It's so quiet I think its stalled again until I look at the tach.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk