News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• September 28, 2024, 10:15:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Finally Installed New Valve Cover...some tips and tricks for when things go awry  (Read 4374 times)

Offline drock87

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 11
So yesterday I finally installed a new valve cover in my Eagle. Captspillane hooked me up with a nice used Clifford cover, and I went over to my buddy's house to put it on (adult supervision plus a heated garage!!) I ran into some issues with the fitment of the gasket as well as what the heck to hold the right side of the engine down with. Read below.

This is what my engine compartment looked like before I started all of this. Grimy and disgusting, basically.

Yuck.

Anyways, I removed the old valve cover without much of an issue, but I soon unveiled my first problem. I had bought the big rubber gasket at Summit Racing, and it appeared it was not going to work. It had an extra lip around the bolt holes on the passenger side of the engine. The front of the gasket was a major problem as well. Unfortunately, the nearby Autozone did not have a cork gasket in stock, and Summit Racing is practically next door to my house, not my buddy's in Cleveland. It is hard to see in the picture, but you should be able to see what we did. I took a handheld belt sander (no, I am NOT kidding) and leveled off the lip of the cover so it didn't sit on top of the gasket. I also did this to the entire front of the cover and all of the appropriate bolt holes.
Note in the picture, I drew a yellow line representing where I "filed" down and colored in blue where the gasket protruded. I really should have photographed it before I put it on.

After that is all said and done, I RTV'd the H*ll out of the gasket and cover and set it. So far, so good. Until I get to the right side of the engine. NOW I know what everyone talks about regarding tapping bolt holes. The problem is, I did not remember reading about drilling into the block as there was only 1/16 inch or so of space there. It would HAVE to be drilled to tap. I'd thought everything would just go on the same way it came off.

My buddy is not an AMC guy, and he was not very keen about drilling into an engine block he doesn't have a whole lot of familiarity with. Therefore, we came up with this solution. I went to Autozone and picked up a packet of nuts and washers. I then used the table top grinder to file off an edge of the washers so that it would go on the stud that the plastic cover was attached to. Finally, I tightened (slowly...this was a pain having to use an open ended wrench for everthing) down the nuts perhaps securing this thing to my engine. **Yes, there are other issues here...like the intake gasket...and the back of the pulley I broke being an idiot. Please forgive.

My buddy swore up and down after doing this that as soon as we turn on the car, it was going to spew oil EVERYWHERE, that he was going to have to drive me to my mom's house to get the Lincoln, and the entire world was going to go to h*ll in a handbasket. Except it didn't. The :censored: thing sealed, and quite well at that. It is leaking a little on the right, firewall corner of the engine, but it is a lot better than before.

And, the end result after degreasing it like crazy this morning:

Oh, and this mysterious PCV-looking oil fill cap? Captspillane should be posting shortly if he already hasn't.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 04:12:11 PM by drock87 »
My list of my cars/toys (or toys at my disposal!)

1985 AMC Eagle Sportwagon
2017 Mercedes-Benz C300 4Matic
1993 Mercedes-Benz 500SL
2016 Triumph Bonneville
 1962 Cruisers Inc Mahogany Outboard

I like to to tell people my Eagle is like a Ferrari. It's quirky, tempermental, border-line exotic, and something you don't see everyday.  See? Makes perfect sense....

Click for Akron, Ohio Forecast" height="90" width="160

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
I did somthing similar to the drivers side before.

Manitowoc WI

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 477
Congrats!  Ingenious solution to securing the driver's side of the cover.  I JB welded studs into the locator holes, the ones you supposed to tap out and it worked too.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
Yeah, that valve cover was in need of replacement! Looks good man!
1983 AMC Eagle SX/4 - Penny

Offline captspillane

• The Perkiomen Eagle Sanctuary
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 137
Oh, and this mysterious PCV-looking oil fill cap? Captspillane should be posting shortly if he already hasn't.

Good lord "shortly" ended up being about 7 months so far. I'll have to finally dig up those photos.
Currently Inspected and Insured as of Jan 2013:
-1985 Eagle Station Wagon 258 T5 Stickshift
-1980 Eagle Station Wagon 258 Auto Fuel-injected with GM TBI

Minor Repairs Underway:
-1982 Eagle SX4 258 T5
-1981 Kammback 2.5L Iron Duke T5

Restoration Efforts Near Completion:
-1982 SX4- 401 NV3550
-1983 SX4- 4.5 MPI NSG370 (6 Speed)

Restoration Efforts Underway:
-1985 SW- 4.0 MPI AX15
-1982 SX4- 4.0 AW4
-1981 SX4- SD33T NV4500 (Turbodiesel 5 speed)

Future Rescue Efforts- '85 Maroon SW, '87 Limited SW, '84 Limited SW, '87 4 door Sedan, '81 2 door Sedan, '88 White SW, '77 4 door Hornet, '74 2 door Hornet, '79 Spirit AMX, '81 Kammback.

RIP- Red '81 SX4, '84 4dr Sedan, '84 SW, '81 SW, '80 Spirit, '83 SW, '83 4dr Sedan

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 477
Great Idea!   Paint that cap and fitting AMC engine blue or black and no one will know the difference.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline captspillane

• The Perkiomen Eagle Sanctuary
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 137
Here are some pics I've meant to post for months now. The parts are lined up in order they were installed. I hacksawed the flange off the PVC piece to make a spacer because the slope of the threads on the small pipe made the nut get tight too soon. It would not be necessary if you had straight threads, but then you'd also need a second locknut.

Currently Inspected and Insured as of Jan 2013:
-1985 Eagle Station Wagon 258 T5 Stickshift
-1980 Eagle Station Wagon 258 Auto Fuel-injected with GM TBI

Minor Repairs Underway:
-1982 Eagle SX4 258 T5
-1981 Kammback 2.5L Iron Duke T5

Restoration Efforts Near Completion:
-1982 SX4- 401 NV3550
-1983 SX4- 4.5 MPI NSG370 (6 Speed)

Restoration Efforts Underway:
-1985 SW- 4.0 MPI AX15
-1982 SX4- 4.0 AW4
-1981 SX4- SD33T NV4500 (Turbodiesel 5 speed)

Future Rescue Efforts- '85 Maroon SW, '87 Limited SW, '84 Limited SW, '87 4 door Sedan, '81 2 door Sedan, '88 White SW, '77 4 door Hornet, '74 2 door Hornet, '79 Spirit AMX, '81 Kammback.

RIP- Red '81 SX4, '84 4dr Sedan, '84 SW, '81 SW, '80 Spirit, '83 SW, '83 4dr Sedan

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk