News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• September 29, 2024, 02:32:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 84 Eagle is unbelievably slowww  (Read 14073 times)

Offline rollguy

• Turbo Diesel Eagle
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 84
  • Southern California
Re: 84 Eagle is unbelievably slowww
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2013, 05:43:52 PM »
I have a free carter if you would like it for the cost of postage.....Rich
1980 Eagle Turbodiesel Wagon (only 2 known to exist as of 2008)- 7-7-2011 Flight to it's new nest @ Rambler Ranch
1983 Eagle Wagon  Tan over Copper
1982 Eagle SX4 "ALTREGL"  (avatar photo)
1982 Eagle 4 Door Sedan  Copper over Satin Black
1985 Eagle Sport Wagon October 2007 ROTM (SOLD)
4 Biofuel powered Benzs ('98 E300, '82 300 CD, '82 300 TD (wagon), '80 240 D)
1983 GMC Van (6.2 Diesel)
1985 Mitsubishi pickup (2.3 Turbodiesel)

Offline 1985amceagle

• Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2013, 10:03:45 PM »
Kudos to you for defending the Carter!  AMC, believe it or not, actually had carb experts who evaluated what was out there and typically chose what worked best.  Look at all the different carbs they used because they were not bound to a corporate carb.
Other than the darn thing plugging up, I've had good luck with the Carter while it was unplugged. It's not much for power, but it just seems to work. Sometime I would like to fix my vacuum lines so Doug isn't the only one making 20+ miles per gallon. I am also thinking about transplanting a mopar Carter and computer on it if it is a simpler design.
1985 Eagle Wagon

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 477
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2013, 10:11:09 PM »
You don't need a computer in my opinion.  Backdating the motor to a time when they only had a pcv valve is the way to go but keeping a more modern ignition system like the TFI or HEI.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline drock87

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 11
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2013, 02:45:15 PM »
I think your issue is the Throttle Linkage not ADJUSTED properly. If you give it lotsa gas, it should keep going. If not a lot, it'll shift. However, if it is not aggressive enough, you'll never have enough throttle pressure to keep it from shifting. I had this issue on mine. Granted, my throttle valve linkage was, like, not there at all, but that solved things quite a bit. Try this...Shift manually. If it accelerates as you expect (for an Eagle  :rotfl:), then you need to adjust your TV linkage. If not, the next place I would look would be your timing. There are people here who an time by vacuum or ear. I can't. Therefore, I bought a badass timing gun at Autozone, the digital one $100.  READ THE INSTRUCTIONS. The digital light gives you a tach right there and allows you to manipulate the timing so you time to the 0 BTDC mark on the engine. I am the world's "biggest" novice, and I have had these same issues.

***When you put the MC21xx on, make sure you did the ECM Test (that is N*tter if the blocker is still up). Also, you DO have to retime after that because if you did the ECM Test properly, the ECU no longer works. That thing actually adjusted timing based on what was going on in the carb. My timing was WAYYYYY off after I did the MC upgrade. BTW, I like the MC21xx. My car runs a HELLUVA lot better in every way after the upgrade.

Good luck!
My list of my cars/toys (or toys at my disposal!)

1985 AMC Eagle Sportwagon
2017 Mercedes-Benz C300 4Matic
1993 Mercedes-Benz 500SL
2016 Triumph Bonneville
 1962 Cruisers Inc Mahogany Outboard

I like to to tell people my Eagle is like a Ferrari. It's quirky, tempermental, border-line exotic, and something you don't see everyday.  See? Makes perfect sense....

Click for Akron, Ohio Forecast" height="90" width="160

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2013, 03:19:51 PM »
If the computer isn't bypassed and you don't have an HEI dist, then timing may be stationary and causing the doggy condition.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline jsherrod

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2013, 10:52:23 AM »
I think your issue is the Throttle Linkage not ADJUSTED properly. If you give it lotsa gas, it should keep going. If not a lot, it'll shift. However, if it is not aggressive enough, you'll never have enough throttle pressure to keep it from shifting. I had this issue on mine. Granted, my throttle valve linkage was, like, not there at all, but that solved things quite a bit. Try this...Shift manually. If it accelerates as you expect (for an Eagle  :rotfl:), then you need to adjust your TV linkage. If not, the next place I would look would be your timing. There are people here who an time by vacuum or ear. I can't. Therefore, I bought a badass timing gun at Autozone, the digital one $100.  READ THE INSTRUCTIONS. The digital light gives you a tach right there and allows you to manipulate the timing so you time to the 0 BTDC mark on the engine. I am the world's "biggest" novice, and I have had these same issues.

***When you put the MC21xx on, make sure you did the ECM Test (that is N*tter if the blocker is still up). Also, you DO have to retime after that because if you did the ECM Test properly, the ECU no longer works. That thing actually adjusted timing based on what was going on in the carb. My timing was WAYYYYY off after I did the MC upgrade. BTW, I like the MC21xx. My car runs a HELLUVA lot better in every way after the upgrade.

Good luck!

thanks for the info!  I will check the linkage today and timing.. HOWEVER i definantly did NOT do the ECM test.... apparently i missed that memo/direction.... ill look through the forum for info on how to do it unlesso ne of you wants to be so kind as to point me the right direction... thanks so much

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 477
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2013, 11:20:22 AM »
Its in the Den's Eaglepedia.

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;

Offline jsherrod

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2013, 12:42:56 PM »
i will attempt the bypass today and let you know the results.... do u recomend the HEI distrib?

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 477
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2013, 12:44:19 PM »
HIE is a good, inexpensive upgrade.

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;

Offline jsherrod

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2013, 03:27:17 PM »
okay here is my update on my wagon....

I did the ECM Test with the wire splices and then set the timing to 10-12 .... (timing is nice and smooth, does not jump around)

there is no change on how the car runs.... so next is the throttle tranny linkage... HOWEVER i did notice that the eagle runs the EXACT same whether the vacuum advance is hooked up or not..... am i wrong to think that it should run totally different?     my vacuum advance is hooked to the port below the choke on the left side of carb (when looking at the carb from the front bumper)... since im nearly positive that is the correct port is there something im missing?   if my vacuum advance was bad would my car act sluggish?

thanks

Offline jsherrod

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2013, 04:02:52 PM »
i am getting vacuum from the carb and it moves the advance.... car revs up great in idle...gonna adjust throttle linkage and hope this problem goes away...not super hopeful though because the car is still sluggish when i mannualy shift..... running out of ideas
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 04:21:28 PM by jsherrod »

Offline jsherrod

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2013, 02:57:02 PM »
well i adjusted the throttle rod and it didnt make a difference....

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 477
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2013, 03:18:54 PM »
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.  Now to ponder this some more.

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;

Offline jsherrod

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2013, 03:24:32 PM »
im thinking compression issues?  worn out valve or something

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2013, 03:26:00 PM »

I did the ECM Test with the wire splices and then set the timing to 10-12 .... (timing is nice and smooth, does not jump around)

Throw the timing light back in the tool box and advance the timing a little at a time until you get pinging, then back it off a hair. I keep  the distributor hold down bolt just snug enough so I can turn the distributor with a just a little bit of force.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk