News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• October 06, 2024, 10:28:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Shocks for 2" Lift on SX/4  (Read 5208 times)

Offline siguy8

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
Shocks for 2" Lift on SX/4
« on: May 21, 2013, 07:19:07 PM »
I'm trying to figure out what shocks to buy after lifting my SX/4. It's a '82 4 cyl, 5 speed manual. I put the ESPO coils on the front that are slightly longer/stiffer (javelin), and that gave me about 1.5-2" up front. I put on Skyjacker R225 Add-a-Leafs on the rear (with new Spring King Leaves), and that gave me 2-3" in the back. I'm not looking for something to lift it more, just a smooth ride at ~2" above stock.

I'm sure someone has done this, but I couldn't find it in any of these threads.

Thanks!

1982 SX/4 Sport 4 cylinder 5 speed manual. 135k miles.

Offline Amc1320

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 48
Re: Shocks for 2" Lift on SX/4
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 08:19:04 PM »
Nice car!
Rob c
84 Eagle Limited Wagon (driven everyday)
81 Eagle Kammback
81 Spirit (undergoing surgery)
83 Spirit (parts car giving it all to keep the rest going)
Manchester, TN

Offline mach1mustang351

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 12:08:05 AM »
The bottom mount on the shock is the limiting factor in the longer shock matching.  It is a unique setup.  You will likely have to modify your spring perch to take a different mountign style shock.  I think way back I saw someone on here who did this.  Cant remember who now.
Fleet:

1987 AMC Wagon 4.0L, 3" Body lift, AX15, NP242
1981 AMC SX4 Sport
1969 Mustang (A Mach 1 with a 351)
1973 GMC K2500
2007 Suzuki Vstrom

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2013, 03:19:03 AM »
You can weld on shock mounts to teh rear axle 2" higher than the original or cut the originals off and shorten the brackets. I'm about to swap an XJ 8.25 into my wagon with a lift at the same time so I am using the brackets off the Eagle 3.31 ratio axle I'm scrapping.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline mach1mustang351

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2013, 09:44:45 PM »
The bottom mount on the shock is the limiting factor in the longer shock matching.  It is a unique setup.  You will likely have to modify your spring perch to take a different mountign style shock.  I think way back I saw someone on here who did this.  Cant remember who now.

This was all for the front.  Just realized I didn't make that clear
Fleet:

1987 AMC Wagon 4.0L, 3" Body lift, AX15, NP242
1981 AMC SX4 Sport
1969 Mustang (A Mach 1 with a 351)
1973 GMC K2500
2007 Suzuki Vstrom

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2013, 11:37:16 PM »
Unless you modified the front suspension, the shocks should work, OR add stem extenders. I made my own for my Comanche with 6 1/2" lift
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk