News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 28, 2024, 02:00:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Non A/C to A/C 32 years later. Got questions  (Read 1778 times)

Offline sportpig

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
Non A/C to A/C 32 years later. Got questions
« on: May 19, 2013, 02:51:48 PM »
Hopefully someone can help.  Picked up a 1981 SX4 Solid California car but needs A/C.  Why it didn't I don't know lol.  Any how pulled the entire dash out and swapped all the ac boxes in and vents.  Problem is wiring.   What I have is a green black that I think goes  from the 2 prong pigtail on the controls to the fan switch.  On the ac box some kind of switch has a purple and gray black and the other is a single gray black.  The purple I had to clip in the harness because it wasn't there,  in the firewall side is there a wire that comes out of it and where does it go ?  Also by my controls I have a white red which I think needs to go to the block on the firewall too. I think that wire might be the same as one of the gray black ones.  Schematics help to a point but I need someone basically saying what I need to do. :lurk: Help is appreciated of anykind.  Thanks

4 speed ,  black interior ,  4.2  no shift on the fly.  just a little info. :help:

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 213
Re: Non A/C to A/C 32 years later. Got questions
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 06:39:19 PM »
Welcome to the Nest and congrats on picking up an SX/4!  We'd love to see pictures of it.

Here is a link to the wiring diagram for the A/C system from the 1985 TSM, hopefully it is still very similar.  Good luck!

http://www.amceaglenest.com/images/Downloads/1985%20AC.jpg
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline sportpig

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2013, 08:07:36 PM »
Thanks friend. Ill check it out and see if it helps.  Wiring diagrams can be confusing.

Offline sportpig

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2013, 08:44:48 PM »
I think I need pictures of all ac components besides the compressor, condenser and blower motor.  Pictures of ac wires in a fuse block would be really nice lol.

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2013, 09:04:51 PM »
I can't help, but welcome to the Nest. Hopefully someone else can shed some light on your questions.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk