News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 28, 2024, 02:21:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New Here...thinking about getting one  (Read 7168 times)

Offline Dburger

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 0
New Here...thinking about getting one
« on: May 16, 2013, 08:00:23 AM »
Hello all,

I've been thinking about getting an Eagle and have been doing mass craigslist searches for them. I am just now old enough to get my permit, and when I show my mom I'm a good driver she'll let me get another car. Along with the Eagle, I've been considering SVX's, Fieros, Colt Vistas, and GM H-bodys. Would like to find an Eagle with a manual transmission, but dad thinks any Eagle will be hard to find. He's had some experience with older Jeeps, but no Eagles. Are there better years than others or anything?

Thanks,
Dburger

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
Re: New Here...thinking about getting one
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 08:10:48 AM »
Eagle wagon or SX4? A manual trans car will be a bit harder to find. About 6 years ago and prior, Eagles were still pretty easy to find. Their numbers have been dwindling. It isn't too terribly difficult to do a transmission swap if you find and automatic in good shape. Eagles are pretty much the same from 80-88. Different front and rear bumpers in 80. AWD in 80-81. There were some in 81 with selectable 2wd-4wd. 82-88 selectable 2wd-4wd. Since you are looking for a manual, the early cars had 4 speeds and I think 82 or 83 is when the 5 speed showed up. Where are you located? Maybe someone in your area knows of one for sale. Tell your dad, Eagles are VERY similar to it's Jeep siblings.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline Dburger

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 08:21:46 AM »
Eagle wagon or SX4? A manual trans car will be a bit harder to find. About 6 years ago and prior, Eagles were still pretty easy to find. Their numbers have been dwindling. It isn't too terribly difficult to do a transmission swap if you find and automatic in good shape. Eagles are pretty much the same from 80-88. Different front and rear bumpers in 80. AWD in 80-81. There were some in 81 with selectable 2wd-4wd. 82-88 selectable 2wd-4wd. Since you are looking for a manual, the early cars had 4 speeds and I think 82 or 83 is when the 5 speed showed up. Where are you located? Maybe someone in your area knows of one for sale. Tell your dad, Eagles are VERY similar to it's Jeep siblings.

I actually like the Kammbacks a bit, but the first one I ever saw (that I recognized) was a 1984 Limited wagon (gotta put the picture in the sightings forum). Every single wagon I've seen on craigslist has been an automatic, and I might give in. I did see a Kammback with a 2.5/4 speed. I am in South Carolina.

EDIT: I was cruising the station wagon forums and it seems you commented on our Gran Torino build thread.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 08:25:21 AM by Dburger »

Offline 1985amceagle

• Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 09:36:15 AM »
I'd say if this is a car that you would be interested in restoring some day, check for rust under the plastic flares, rocker panel covers, and the uni-body. If the car is horribly rusty, it will be harder, and more expensive to restore, and it may also shorten the cars lifetime of being on the road. The larger bodystyle cars do not have rocker panel replacements yet, but the small cars like the sx4 and Kamback do. Otherwise they aren't bad cars and the 258 will seem to run forever, just like it's 4.0 cousin Good luck on finding an eagle, and welcome to the Nest.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 09:48:59 AM by 1985amceagle »
1985 Eagle Wagon

Offline Dburger

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 10:47:40 AM »
I'd say if this is a car that you would be interested in restoring some day, check for rust under the plastic flares, rocker panel covers, and the uni-body. If the car is horribly rusty, it will be harder, and more expensive to restore, and it may also shorten the cars lifetime of being on the road. The larger bodystyle cars do not have rocker panel replacements yet, but the small cars like the sx4 and Kamback do. Otherwise they aren't bad cars and the 258 will seem to run forever, just like it's 4.0 cousin Good luck on finding an eagle, and welcome to the Nest.

Thanks. Not too many rusty ones here. No road salt or anything.

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2013, 01:57:53 PM »

I actually like the Kammbacks a bit, but the first one I ever saw (that I recognized) was a 1984 Limited wagon (gotta put the picture in the sightings forum). Every single wagon I've seen on craigslist has been an automatic, and I might give in. I did see a Kammback with a 2.5/4 speed. I am in South Carolina.

EDIT: I was cruising the station wagon forums and it seems you commented on our Gran Torino build thread.
Yup, I'm over there also.  ;D A Kammback is going to be a little tougher to find but they do pop up now and again and demand a little more money. You may need to prepare to travel to get your Eagle. Lots of the ones on the east coast have met their maker due to rust. You might want to get in contact with the Carolina AMC Club. A couple years ago I went to one of there shows and there was a member with some Eagles who is not on the Nest. http://www.carolinaamc.com/ Good Luck
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline EagleJoe93

• "You'll know it's me when I roll through your town. I'm gonna ride around in style. I'm gonna drive everybody wild, cause I'll have the only one there is around."
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 14
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2013, 03:41:43 PM »
Welcome to the nest!  :hello2: I am 19 years old and my 1986 AMC Eagle Limited wagon is my first car. If you can find any eagle in good shape for a good price, take it. When I found mine, white was not my first choice of color, and I too preferred a manual transmission. But after seeing how rust free the body and underside was and how the seats were in near mint condition for an 87k mile New Jersey car with an offered price of $1300, I took it because with these cars, condition is everything. Granted, it was a mechanical nightmare with an engine that wanted to stall in five seconds. I've put about $1000 in parts alone, just to give you an idea on how much any repairs may cost.

The wagon will be the easiest to find since that is the only version of the eagle to be built all eight years of production and it was the most popular of all versions. A Kammback will be a lot harder to find, be more expensive, and parts will be harder to find since it was only made from 81-82. I guess it all comes down to what it is you want, how much you are willing to spend, and how long you are willing to wait for the right one to show up. It took me two years of searching until I finally found my 86.

Whatever parts you may need, someone on here will be bound to have and will sell on here. This site has helped me with my wagon countless times.

Once again welcome to the nest and best of luck in finding your perfect AMC Eagle.  :)
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon Limited. Work in progress. Most likely have the only one in town. :)

Offline Dburger

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2013, 09:24:11 PM »
Welcome to the nest!  :hello2: I am 19 years old and my 1986 AMC Eagle Limited wagon is my first car. If you can find any eagle in good shape for a good price, take it. When I found mine, white was not my first choice of color, and I too preferred a manual transmission. But after seeing how rust free the body and underside was and how the seats were in near mint condition for an 87k mile New Jersey car with an offered price of $1300, I took it because with these cars, condition is everything. Granted, it was a mechanical nightmare with an engine that wanted to stall in five seconds. I've put about $1000 in parts alone, just to give you an idea on how much any repairs may cost.

The wagon will be the easiest to find since that is the only version of the eagle to be built all eight years of production and it was the most popular of all versions. A Kammback will be a lot harder to find, be more expensive, and parts will be harder to find since it was only made from 81-82. I guess it all comes down to what it is you want, how much you are willing to spend, and how long you are willing to wait for the right one to show up. It took me two years of searching until I finally found my 86.

Whatever parts you may need, someone on here will be bound to have and will sell on here. This site has helped me with my wagon countless times.

Once again welcome to the nest and best of luck in finding your perfect AMC Eagle.  :)

Thanks. I saw your car on the saabkyle04 facebook page. Eagles are pretty cheap around here regardless of body style. Yes, I have seen tons and tons of wagons/sport wagons, and a few sedans. (Know about the opera window rust on those from lurking)

Offline EagleJoe93

• "You'll know it's me when I roll through your town. I'm gonna ride around in style. I'm gonna drive everybody wild, cause I'll have the only one there is around."
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 14
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2013, 11:00:08 PM »
Really. I forgot I had one there haha. Good thing that eagles are cheap down there. The few that surface in this area are usually well used and demanding relatively high prices. I was very lucky to find this wagon in it's condition for the price.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon Limited. Work in progress. Most likely have the only one in town. :)

Offline Dburger

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2013, 12:35:20 PM »
Was the Sport package only cosmetic?

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • If a hammer won't fix it, it's probably electrical
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2013, 01:52:40 PM »

'82-'84 selectable 4x4, shift on the fly '85 - '88.  Still selectable, but you can shift while in motion - supposedly any speed.  '82-'84 you have to stop and shift.

1986 model have a different T-case.  it's an NP-128.  The 128 case used an open differential to allow slippage. The differences in these methods of differentiation can be likened to the differences between a limited slip rear-end and an open rear-end.

I find the '86 eagles aren't not as good in the snow, and off-road as the others with either the 119, or the 129 T-case.  I owned an '84, and I find it was alot better in those conditions.  But you can always get a 129 case for the '86 eagle, and that's resolved.

'88's are not really an '88.  they were left over from 1987, and were re-labeled as an '88.  Depends on how you look at it.

The earliest Eagles 1980 and some 81's have a heavier duty crank.  Most sought after for doing strokers.  You can also find them in concords of the same engine period.

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2013, 04:57:29 PM »
The crank is heavier and not heavy duty. It's actually between the weight of '79/older and '83/newer. The extra weight is supposed to help when lugging over rocks and stuff. No strength difference.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline Dburger

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2013, 04:04:36 PM »
The crank is heavier and not heavy duty. It's actually between the weight of '79/older and '83/newer. The extra weight is supposed to help when lugging over rocks and stuff. No strength difference.

I did find an '80 wagon that had been sitting for a long time. Thanks for the info.

Offline DaemonForce

• Grease Magnet
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2013, 07:53:54 PM »
Unless you understand very complex algorithms for winning the lottery, you are probably not going to find an Eagle with a manual transmission. It is difficult enough to find one that works. Note I'm not talking about finding one that doesn't have any issues, just...Runs. :-\

There is no interchange catalog for this car and everyone avoids it. For whatever reason, you end up with an unsolvable problem if you rely entirely on parts guides and books. The parts are all there, but no one ever lists product compatibility with this particular car. If you're used to threading camera film into bath cylinders in a pitch black room, you might be pretty good at figuring this one out.

The range of backwards and future compatibility between other makes and models is astonishing. It's unlike any other vehicle but it still retains its identity and some rather unique problems along the way. Almost all of them stemming from neglect. This is a thing.

When you finally get an Eagle, examine it carefully. Figure out what's good, what's bad, what works, what doesn't and what needs to be thrown out. It's especially important that you figure out what you might need to work on later. If you have a place to do a full store and disassemble, it's usually easiest to take out the drivetrain first and rebuild one section at a time. It isn't difficult, but it is time consuming and somewhat expensive. Eagles are usually project cars because so many of them just sit for so long. There really doesn't appear to be any absolute reason for this collective behavior either. Previous owners just didn't give these cars very much attention or they gave it way too much attention trying to fix one problem and gave up out of frustration. It's been over 30 years since these cars were made, they're unbelievably easy to maintain but you are going to be the only one that really understands your Eagle. It's a lot to take in and God help you if you already have experience as a mechanic from wrenching around on other vehicles. It all becomes a major conscious roadblock instead of genuine help. Unfortunately, this is the hardest thing to explain to new owners because it's something you have to experience on your own.
1983 Limited
AMC 258C {R2:27.Jun.13}
Carter 2681 {R2:28.Oct.12}
TorqueFlite A998 {R6: -20.Apr.12}
NP129 {R2:28.Apr.12}
M35-273 {???}
Compression: 0
Corrected Idle: 0RPM

Rebuild:
???

Offline Dburger

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2013, 11:55:57 AM »
Unless you understand very complex algorithms for winning the lottery, you are probably not going to find an Eagle with a manual transmission. It is difficult enough to find one that works. Note I'm not talking about finding one that doesn't have any issues, just...Runs. :-\

There is no interchange catalog for this car and everyone avoids it. For whatever reason, you end up with an unsolvable problem if you rely entirely on parts guides and books. The parts are all there, but no one ever lists product compatibility with this particular car. If you're used to threading camera film into bath cylinders in a pitch black room, you might be pretty good at figuring this one out.

The range of backwards and future compatibility between other makes and models is astonishing. It's unlike any other vehicle but it still retains its identity and some rather unique problems along the way. Almost all of them stemming from neglect. This is a thing.

When you finally get an Eagle, examine it carefully. Figure out what's good, what's bad, what works, what doesn't and what needs to be thrown out. It's especially important that you figure out what you might need to work on later. If you have a place to do a full store and disassemble, it's usually easiest to take out the drivetrain first and rebuild one section at a time. It isn't difficult, but it is time consuming and somewhat expensive. Eagles are usually project cars because so many of them just sit for so long. There really doesn't appear to be any absolute reason for this collective behavior either. Previous owners just didn't give these cars very much attention or they gave it way too much attention trying to fix one problem and gave up out of frustration. It's been over 30 years since these cars were made, they're unbelievably easy to maintain but you are going to be the only one that really understands your Eagle. It's a lot to take in and God help you if you already have experience as a mechanic from wrenching around on other vehicles. It all becomes a major conscious roadblock instead of genuine help. Unfortunately, this is the hardest thing to explain to new owners because it's something you have to experience on your own.

Why would a manual Eagle not run? It seems that manual Kammbacks and SX/4's are out there. That last paragraph helped a lot.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 11:58:09 AM by Dburger »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk