News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• September 28, 2024, 11:24:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Water In The Oil  (Read 3777 times)

Offline Kippnidaho

• Kippnidaho
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
Water In The Oil
« on: March 10, 2013, 04:51:28 PM »
I just checked the oil and I have water in the oil. Seems to be running fine no white smoke. WTH...
Any suggestions. Just checked the compression last week 140 to 130. 22 inches of vacuum.
Where do I go from here.
Thanks
Living in The Great Northwest
2011 SS Camaro Convertible
2008 Chrysler 300 C Hemi
2005 Dodge Ram Diesel 1 Ton Shortbed
1997 TJ Wrangler Sport
1983 Eagle SX/4 (The Beagle)
Can you say too much is never enough

Offline lapoltba

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 14
Re: Water In The Oil
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 06:19:50 PM »
Do you typically make only short trips with your car?  I've had this happen when I was in HS since I was only 5 min from school.  The short trips don't allow the engine to get hot enough to boil off excess water in the crank case.  Make sure your PCV system is working properly and go out and give it a good drive and see if the water goes away.

Offline Amc1320

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 48
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 08:36:06 PM »
Did the oil look like pancake batter? Or was there just some at the top of the dipstick and around the oil filler?

X2 on what lapoltba said , I was getting some of that cause I only have a 3 mile commute to work and back, never gets hot enough

Took a nice long drive and it goes away

However if all of your oil looms milky and thick that's a whole other problem, most likely head gasket

Rob c
84 Eagle Limited Wagon (driven everyday)
81 Eagle Kammback
81 Spirit (undergoing surgery)
83 Spirit (parts car giving it all to keep the rest going)
Manchester, TN

Offline Kippnidaho

• Kippnidaho
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 07:56:30 PM »
It not completely milky it has an oil look to it with some moisture (Milky streaks) and there is some milky built up on the upper dipstick.
If head gasket is bad shouldn't I see that in a compression test. Also can the manifold gasket cause it.
I did idle the Beagle for about 45 minutes before I noticed the moisture in the oil, I was warming it up to check the automatic trans fluid.
Also I drive the car about 140 miles round trip to work when it is driven.
Any more thoughts.
2008 Chrysler 300 C Hemi
1997 TJ Wrangler Sport

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 08:44:22 PM »
Like they said about the oil not being milky, plus replace the PCV valve and replace the hose too (throw away that restrictor valve in the middle of the hose too) If the foam filter in the air cleaner is none too fresh, swap that too.
   Take the car on the highway for a run once in awhile too. Wipe the dipstick several times to make sure it's clean.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline Kippnidaho

• Kippnidaho
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 10:36:08 PM »
Like they said about the oil not being milky, plus replace the PCV valve and replace the hose too (throw away that restrictor valve in the middle of the hose too) If the foam filter in the air cleaner is none too fresh, swap that too.
   Take the car on the highway for a run once in awhile too. Wipe the dipstick several times to make sure it's clean.
The oil is not completely milky still looks like oil with milky streaks. PCV and hose is new no restrictor  valve. Aftermarket air cleaner PCV is hooked to manifold vacuum. When I drive the car it is 55 to 65 mph for a 140 mile round trip. Like I stated the moisture showed  up after idling it for about 45 minutes.
2008 Chrysler 300 C Hemi
1997 TJ Wrangler Sport

Offline Kippnidaho

• Kippnidaho
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2013, 10:06:21 PM »
Ok I feel stupid  :banghead:
Went ahead and changed the oil and it looks great no moisture....
There was although moisture in the dipstick tube. During my attempt to clean the engine compartment apparently I must of got some in there. That was a month ago and it didn't show up until this weekend.
Anyway thanks for the help chasing this issue..
2008 Chrysler 300 C Hemi
1997 TJ Wrangler Sport

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 216
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2013, 10:18:50 PM »
Its great that it was a simple solution to your problem!  Much easier to change the oil than your engine!
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline Amc1320

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 48
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2013, 10:29:28 PM »
Good news!
Rob c
84 Eagle Limited Wagon (driven everyday)
81 Eagle Kammback
81 Spirit (undergoing surgery)
83 Spirit (parts car giving it all to keep the rest going)
Manchester, TN

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk