News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 22, 2024, 11:21:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: compressor squealling. can i run a shorter belt?  (Read 2291 times)

Offline demonicdragon

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 5
  • its cool cause you say its cool
    • My Cardomain site for my 85 Eagle
compressor squealling. can i run a shorter belt?
« on: January 31, 2013, 09:10:54 AM »
one more thing. my compressor is squealing bad. can i run a shorter belt and eliminate it?

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
Re: compressor squealling. can i run a shorter belt?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 10:44:52 PM »
AC compressor or pollution pump? Possibly the wrong width belt? (I know mine was)
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline demonicdragon

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 11:47:44 AM »
a/c pump. i dont believe my 85 has a smog pump.

Offline demonicdragon

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 11:51:46 AM »
ac pump. id rather not buy a new one since i dont hace crazy money to convert to 134a

Offline BenM

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2013, 04:04:25 PM »
If you idler pulley is at the end of its travel, you need a new belt. If not, put some white lithium into the clutch then pull the belt off and get some solvent and emery cloth and clean and rough up the pulley grooves on the pump.

Make sure you adjust your alternator afterward as well.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk