News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 28, 2024, 02:06:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Soft Doors! Good Or Bad Idea?  (Read 3987 times)

AMCEagleNut88

Soft Doors! Good Or Bad Idea?
« on: January 22, 2013, 03:32:19 AM »
Anybody Have The Idea To Make Soft Doors For Our Eagles Like Jeeps Have For Wranglers? I Know Anything Is Possible, But Just How Difficult Would It Be To Make A Set And Install Them?  AMCEagleNut88 :amc: AMCEagleNut88

Offline GRONK

• The carburetor dude
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 55
    • GRONK Performance
Re: Soft Doors! Good Or Bad Idea?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 04:44:21 AM »
I've had soft doors on several non-JEEP vehicles.  I made a set last year for a FSJ old Wagoneer.  Wasn't hard at all.  Worked nice and made them so they were easily removable when needed.  Been thinking of making a set of tube-doors for Bucket, could add snaps and have some skins made for cheep.

I think the problem will be with "flex" on an Eagle though.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 04:46:43 AM by GRONK »
"Bucket" 1983 Limited Wagon
"Tootie" 1984 Wagon
Owner - GRONK Performance

AMCEagleNut88

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 11:38:57 AM »
Would you say its inexpensive or no?

Offline GRONK

• The carburetor dude
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 55
    • GRONK Performance
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 03:07:07 PM »
It's only as expensive as your materials.  If you have steel laying around and you can cut/weld, it's free.  If you want a wirestyleframe and can ben/weld, it's only as expensive as the hardware and paint you use.  I'd estimate that from scratch if you have to buy everything and you wanted to skin them, you'd be looking at about $500 total for 4 rag doors/no windows.  That's steel, material, stitch work, hardware and paint.
"Tootie" 1984 Wagon

AMCEagleNut88

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 09:18:58 PM »
I wish had the tools and materials just layin around, so i could get this project started. I had to move to texas from michigan all thanks to the army which means i have no garage or tools really to work on Ellie...

AMCEagleNut88

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 09:27:09 PM »
Thanks GRONK! Whenever i get her started i'll keep ya posted and send some pictures...

Offline GRONK

• The carburetor dude
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 55
    • GRONK Performance
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2013, 11:46:26 AM »
Been looking at Bucket and now I'm getting the itch for some Tube doors w/ snap skins.  Dang, like I need another project.  Still, may just have to do it anyway.
"Tootie" 1984 Wagon

AMCEagleNut88

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2013, 05:13:11 PM »
How easy do you think it would be to take the doors off the eagles. I was looking at the hinges the other day and it looks like it might be a little complicated, of course it was probably a little to dark when i was looking so i might of missed something. Do you have any knowledge of that?

Offline lapoltba

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 14
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2013, 06:33:57 PM »
Been looking at Bucket and now I'm getting the itch for some Tube doors w/ snap skins.  Dang, like I need another project.  Still, may just have to do it anyway.

Please do a writeup or at least take lots of pictures if you do this.  I think It would look pretty sweet if done cleanly.  Any thoughts to what you would do for latches?

Offline SpreadEagle

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 12
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2013, 07:40:21 PM »

Please do a writeup or at least take lots of pictures if you do this.  I think It would look pretty sweet if done cleanly.  Any thoughts to what you would do for latches?

I'm not an expert but why not use the latches that are in the doors. Or another Jeep latch. Just a bit of mod should make it work.
'81 Kammback
'81 SX/4(Parts)

AMCEagleNut88

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2013, 11:51:43 PM »

I was wondering about the whole latch situation. Are you gonna consider using a different door handle rather than the eagle door handles? Also where can you get replacement door handles? I heard there is a company in canada that produces reproductions. Is this true? I agree take pictures when you get-r-done...

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2013, 01:01:17 AM »
Eagles door handles are the sames as YJ/TJ 1/2 door handles (not the full doors!) I got mine from 1AATony on the Jeep form, but they only had powdercoated black ones at the time. Heavier material and the screw holes weren't threaded. I just took the paddle off and stuck it in the Eagle's frame and called it good. Someone on here was making stainless replacement paddles.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline Bird-o-Prey

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 39
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2013, 12:59:08 PM »
I think it should be said that the soft door idea is fine for non power cars (ie: windows, door locks or power or remote mirrors).  Not that you couldn't make it work, though.  Just a lot of mods to the wiring harness'.
No matter how bad YOU think it is ... it could always be WORSE!!

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2013, 03:43:52 PM »
I had a 2dr Hornet and a Matador wagon that I treated like 4x4s a long time ago and made the doors so I could pull pins in the hinges and pop the doors off (putting them back on was easy with my engine hoist to hold them up) I had to make "sills" to make the sides tall enough from floor level that things couldn't roll out (law required it) Looked pretty fugly but functional.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk