News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• September 28, 2024, 11:36:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Adjusting the Shift Linkage  (Read 6035 times)

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
Adjusting the Shift Linkage
« on: January 17, 2013, 11:24:43 PM »
I've tried adjusting the shift linkage in my Eagle multiple times and I still haven't been successful in getting it to lock in each gear correctly. I can get by for the most part, but Drive puts it in 2nd and it won't lock the wheels in Park.

The adjusting screw at the linkage won't move any further down because it's reached the curve in the line, so I can't move the arm any further forward into park. Am I missing something? Is the wagon linkage different than the SX/4? I did change my shifter assembly, but I thought the linkages looked like the same lengths.
1982 AMC Eagle SX/4 (Work In Progress)

Photobucket Album: http://s1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff479/Baskinator/

Offline greymarooneightytwo

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
Re: Adjusting the Shift Linkage
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 12:44:47 AM »
I've got a very similar problem! Mine wont go into park, and first gear is about 3/4" from the end of the "channel" that the shifter goes into.

I haven't tried to adjust it yet, I just haven't gotten around to it.

I haven't changed my linkage assembly, and I have the wagon. I suppose I'll dig into it this weekend and see if I'm also at the end of the "curve in the line". I hope not, I'll get back to you on that...

Sorry I can't be of much help.

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 11:37:00 AM »
No problem, I'm pretty sure this is just one of those frustrating things most of us face at one point or another. I'd convert it to a cable setup, but that's a lot more time and money that I don't have at the moment. I'm going to check out my old linkage today and see if it's the same, then who knows...

Offline BenM

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2013, 12:46:54 PM »
Dead engine mounts make them very hard to adjust. It will make the part of the lever below the floor appear "shorter" and reduce the range. The drivetrain has to be tucked in as high as possible.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline eagle87

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 25
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2013, 12:49:44 PM »
ive had this problem, and it turned out to be the short thin metal tab from the shifter lever to linkage rod was bent, even a slight bend combined with leverage can mess it up, you simply bend it while the car is on stands and have someone move the shifter untill the trans locks in park
2010 Ford Explorer (Red)
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Special Edition (Blue)
2002 JeepGrand Cherokee Overland Edition (Silver) Rolled
2001 Cadillac Deville (Silver) Blown Engine :(
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd (Graphite) Parts Jeep
1998 GMC Safari (Blue)
1990 Mercury Sable (Red)
1987 Eagle Wagon (Beige)
1987 Eagle wagon (Silver)
1987 Eagle Wagon Limited (Brown)
1986 Eagle sedan (Blue)
1983 Eagle SX/4 Sport (Black)
1982 Concord DL (Maroon)
1968 Rebel Conv (Gold)

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2013, 10:48:41 PM »
I'll try this tomorrow, I think I understand what you mean. It's dang cold out, and I'm gonna get it into the garage to work on a bunch before going back to school. Hopefully I can get this solved, then I won't have to rely so heavily on flat surfaces and my poorly adjusted parking brake.

I had unfortunately taken a couple long trips in only 2nd gear without realizing right away that this was the problem. It just started going to 2nd in D out of the blue, was at least getting everything other than P correct before then. At first I thought my engine was really losing compression or something! Hope I didn't do any severe damage... been driving ok for a couple weeks since diagnosing this.

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2013, 11:30:40 PM »
Consider yourself lucky.

A week after my shift linkage became misaligned (or whatever), my parking brake failed completely...

I've been chalking tires for a month solid!

:help:
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 05:04:15 PM by greymarooneightytwo »

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2013, 02:04:01 AM »
 :o I just find it scary when I park the car and it starts rolling away as I get out lol, but luckily I've been well aware of my car's kinks.

Poor parking brake, no park lock, no NSS, hard starting, carb dies occasionally just after startup, body clunks, the whole shebang haha, but I still love the thing. Just more excuses not to let anybody else drive it!

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2013, 01:40:25 AM »
Thanks for the tip eagle87! It took about 30 seconds to bend down the metal arm from the trans and everything was perfect. Now it goes in all gears, locks in park, and the handle even moves more smoothly. Eggs!

I must have bent it up slightly when putting the new bushing in a year or so ago, that was a huge pain.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 01:44:25 AM by Baskinator »

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2013, 03:05:05 AM »
I agree with the whole "excuses to not let people drive it" thing...

I once owned a car I won't name, out of shame... that I let someone use to "go to the corner store".

It showed back up on a flat bed three hours later, totaled and smelling of clutch and rubber.

I abandoned hope, sold it as a parts car, and moved on with life.

Shortly there after I discovered there were only 2200 manufactured during that production year....

Regardless of all that though, I'm glad you got that all sorted out. I hope it's as easy for me!

Thanks for the tip eagle87, I'll check that out tomorrow.

Offline eagle87

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 25
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2013, 12:17:58 PM »
Thanks for the tip eagle87! It took about 30 seconds to bend down the metal arm from the trans and everything was perfect. Now it goes in all gears, locks in park, and the handle even moves more smoothly. Eggs!

I must have bent it up slightly when putting the new bushing in a year or so ago, that was a huge pain.

no problem, atleast yours being out of adjustment didnt do any harm, i found out about this problem when i had to do the ring gear in my dads car, and the mechanic helping me banged the tranny around and ended up bending the linkage unknowingly, when we went to start the car it wouldnt start in any gear position, the mechanic started it be jumping the solenoid while in "neutral" the car started to move forward, so be instinct i put it in park, which unfortunately was now reverse and the car banged into and bent the garage door, the car was undamaged but the 3 panels on the door cost $1000!!, my other eagle had this issue after being tboned at the rear axle fortunately it was an easy fix!
2010 Ford Explorer (Red)
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Special Edition (Blue)
2002 JeepGrand Cherokee Overland Edition (Silver) Rolled
2001 Cadillac Deville (Silver) Blown Engine :(
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd (Graphite) Parts Jeep
1998 GMC Safari (Blue)
1990 Mercury Sable (Red)
1987 Eagle Wagon (Beige)
1987 Eagle wagon (Silver)
1987 Eagle Wagon Limited (Brown)
1986 Eagle sedan (Blue)
1983 Eagle SX/4 Sport (Black)
1982 Concord DL (Maroon)
1968 Rebel Conv (Gold)