News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• September 29, 2024, 08:27:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Front suspension parts  (Read 2273 times)

Offline SpreadEagle

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 12
Front suspension parts
« on: January 10, 2013, 07:55:43 PM »
thinking of replacing  my tired springs on the front of my Kammback. located a set of springs from a 79 Concord that were removed from the care when it was about 9 years old and have been sitting in a warehouse.. Any opinion on if it's a good fit? So old they don't know if it had A/C or what motor..
TEC is working on Suspension so I'll let them do springs shocks and my bad half shaft.

***UPDATE***
Actually out of an 82 Eagle so fit is not an issue. Person on the phone said the car was 9 years old when they got the vehicle so the springs shouldn't have much gravity wear issue.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 11:11:19 AM by SpreadEagle »
'81 Kammback
'81 SX/4(Parts)

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 216
Re: replacement Coil Springs
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 12:06:55 AM »
I have no idea if those Concord springs would fit - there are a couple of vendors that sell the coil springs, maybe you can look it up to see if the are the same size.  If so, you may as well put them in and give them a try.  Nothing to lose if you need to replace the springs anyways.
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline SpreadEagle

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 12
Re: Front suspension parts
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 11:22:43 AM »
Looked better at yard I'm getting the springs from and confirmed it's an 82 Eagle they came off of. What other parts should I try and get for replacements on the front side? I'm going to get bearing sets for both sides,Coils, shocks, bushings, Think I'll have them remove the control arms and I'll paint them.
I have a Driver Half shaft I need replaced.. Any other parts I need to have looked at and addressed?
How would I know the control arms need to be replaced?
   I just want to be sure if I go and get into the front that I only have to get in there 1 time.
Will get back on this subject as I have them go through this and start checking parts.
'81 Kammback
'81 SX/4(Parts)

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2013, 07:32:57 PM »
6 cyl coils are stiffer than 4 cyl coils. I put '77 Concord/Hornet with V8 and AC coils in my wagon before I broke my shoulder and was disappointed by the minimum amount of lift I got, but the ride improved considerably. THEN I found out that the 2wd upper arms would give me about 3" of lift! Doh!
   If I were physically capable of doing my own work and had a place to do it, I'd get those upper arms done (I planned on a custom spring compressor that uses the car frame to hold the springs up.)
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline SpreadEagle

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 12
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2013, 08:49:26 PM »
 :-\ Bit depressed.. talked to TEC and got told they are probably not going to have time to do anything with the car.   :censored: I can't seem to find time either and I've been so desperate to get it to where I can drive it...

It may be a while before I get to do anything with it the way things are going. for now it sits in a dry garage with a dead battery.. I get depressed every time I want to take it out to know it has issues I don't have the time to fix.

:'( :'( :'(
It's all good.. Some day I'll complete something.
'81 Kammback
'81 SX/4(Parts)

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 216
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2013, 09:36:59 AM »
Just keep at it and do what you can as time allows.  Slow and steady wins the race.  Eagles are very patient birds, it will still be waiting for you when the time comes that you can work on it.
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline SpreadEagle

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 12
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2013, 12:08:00 PM »
It's supposed to be something for me to do besides play video games. Stress relief and such. Currently not working too well. It's going to be almost 60 today and  I'm not going to be able  to work on it. Wanted to get it out in the sun and locate the vacuum leak.
'81 Kammback
'81 SX/4(Parts)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk